nats at home in vancouver

snake

vancouver with potentially a new soccer specific stadium in the works,how about a pitch for vancouver as the national teams base.toronto as home for the nats under osiek was a disaster.canadas opposition had home fan advantage in the stands at varsity.plus a few games were in the snow.vancouver has the weather which is a huge plus.vancouver was home in 1986.

All I will say is that I am not in favour of having one base where the national team plays most of its games. Especially, in a large geographic country like Canada, it makes no sense at all. I guess it follows that my view on a designated national stadium is negative as well (not to be confused with Toronto needing a soccer stadium).

If we can get some Mens National Team games on home soil, they probably need to be spread around the country. Then, the opposition will have to be willing to travel there (in the case of friendlies).

Toronto was never a home for the National Team under Osieck. I really don't know what you're talking about.

If anything, Edmonton has assumed the role of unofficial home for both national teams.

As for the weather, our boys can handle a little bit of snow... the question is, can the rest of CONCACAF?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Toronto was never a home for the National Team under Osieck. I really don't know what you're talking about.

If anything, Edmonton has assumed the role of unofficial home for both national teams.

As for the weather, our boys can handle a little bit of snow... the question is, can the rest of CONCACAF?

"Toronto as home for the nats under osiek was a disaster."

Canada 1 Jamaica 0

Canada 1 T&T 0

Canada 0 Mexico 0

Clearly, Canada had a hard time getting results when it played under Osieck in Toronto.

Toronto supporters increased their level of organization ten-fold over the Osieck era. Long gone are the days of the MNT playing without some sort of a pro-Canadian section. At the last game in Toronto, Canadians went toe to toe and won the battle of the supporters against Mexico. That has to be good for something. At least we're not like Edmonton, which brings in steel drums for half-time shows against Caribbean countries.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

"Toronto as home for the nats under osiek was a disaster."

Canada 1 Jamaica 0

Canada 1 T&T 0

Canada 0 Mexico 0

Clearly, Canada had a hard time getting results when it played under Osieck in Toronto.

Toronto supporters increased their level of organization ten-fold over the Osieck era. Long gone are the days of the MNT playing without some sort of a pro-Canadian section. At the last game in Toronto, Canadians went toe to toe and won the battle of the supporters against Mexico. That has to be good for something. At least we're not like Edmonton, which brings in steel drums for half-time shows against Caribbean countries.

I agree that the myth about Toronto drawing more foriegn supporter than canada supporters will linger on for a while. But then again perhaps some of these people who make these claims should go see some games at the GC, for example, when the US is playing. There were more el salvadoran supporters in gillette stadium than US supporters. yet does the USSF want move their games top Alaska or the great North west? There are alot of Latin americans along the eastern seaboard who will travel great distances to see their teams. That doesn't mean that Canadian fans can't out number them. the crowd for the T & T freindly was pro canada. For the mexico WCQ, it was hard to say but we were definitely more vocal and there may have been as many as 15-25 of us there. Plus whatever mexican support that was there came from the US. is that a reason to punish TO? Is there any other canadian city that can get 15-20 Voyageurs out to see the games?.

vancouver is a great soccer city, but i think that it would be more difficult to convince players who are primarily based in europe, to fly the 6 hours to toronto and then another 5 hours to vancouver to play a game, especially during the season when they have club commitments every week. vancouver to london and back (including stop overs) on a four day break, would be a very arduous trip. (imagine asking radz to do that!). basing the team in vancouver would add significant travel time and expense to any players coming from overseas.

this doesnt mean that vancouver shouldnt construct a proper outdoor stadium for soccer and rugby, for games where this would not be as much of an issue (gold cup). but i think basing the national team half way around the world from where most of the players live, would only hurt the programme more than our geography already does.

it would make more sense to have the primary national team home in the eastern time zone, with direct flights and easy access for the players. it should be as close to europe as is realistically possible. other venues in other major cities, would be a bonus.

isnt ivor wynn in hamilton?

i agree, vancouver would be better as a pure soccer city goes, but there are other realities. if we want our team to be made up of a-league guys all the time thats fine. i think we need to face it, as much as all of us westerners dont want to admit it, toronto would be the best place for the national team stadium to be located, if only because of proximity to where the players live and the ease of access from those locations. have you ever flown from germany to vancouver? it is a haul. toronto is only half way.

i remember there being more than 8000 fans in varsity for games there. i think that of the 5 million people in toronto, they could muster up a few thousand fans for good international soccer.

vancouver's record of supporting sports teams is not exactly shining either. see: vancouver grizzlies, vancouver canadians (baseball), greater vancouver open (golf), vancouver whitecaps, BC. lions, molson indy vancouver, world cup downhill skiing. all of these teams or events have either gone, or are about to go bankrupt. even the canucks, before they started winning were on the ropes.

quote:Originally posted by snake

where would the nats play in t.o.? centennial or birchmount?ivor wynn?come on, at least vancouver can cram in 8.000 vocal canadian supporters.

At this point in time, only Burnaby and Edmonton are worthy of hosting matches.

That's all there is to it. Sure you could find a way of bringing in temp stands to Birchmount like they did for the Maradona match and that would get it up close to 7,000 seats but it would be a disgrace to play national team match there.

Centennial is obviously the same. Put a few thousand bums on the grass and you can have five or six thousand but men's national team? Forget it.

Timmis would be little better although it is a very nice place to watch a match. Nice field, stands close to the field, I like it a lot. If only it had more than one washroom per gender.

db

Archived