Why do Canadians care so much about the MLS?

Montry

Why does Canadians care so much about the MLS?

With better leagues out there, why does so many Canadians Soccer fans care so much about the MLS? Are they hopping that one day a Canadian team will be allowed to play on it?

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I didn't think that many people in Canada actually cared about the MLS....

Fox Sports World Canada would lead you to believe otherwise (at least that we care more about it than our own teams).

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I didn't think that many people in Canada actually cared about the MLS....

Fox Sports World Canada would lead you to believe otherwise (at least that we care more about it than our own teams).

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

It's just that the ones in TO want MLS because they've got the owners and stadium from hell.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Daniel,

I suspect that there will come a time when Joey Saputo will look around and realize that while he is drawing over 8000 per game, many of his rivals are playing in high school stadiums and drawing around 1000 per game. In order to protect the value of his investment in the Impact and/or allow for any more growth in revenues the A-league in its current format ( ie.: minor league status) will not be the best option. IMHO, there will come a time when the fans and media in Montreal will demand more from the team in the form of a product. especially if the Impact start to win titles. Minor league sports in canda is very cyclical in Canada. I cite the Ottawa Lynx as an example. Plus we have already heard rumblings in the past from the Mtl ownership group about the quality of operations in other A-league markets.

Why should this change. Although, ceding power in teh complex MLS ownership structure could be a stumbling block for Montreal and MLS. Right now, you could make a case the that Impact have the best possibilities of excelling within a high calibre league.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Why should this change. Although, ceding power in teh complex MLS ownership structure could be a stumbling block for Montreal and MLS. Right now, you could make a case the that Impact have the best possibilities of excelling within a high calibre league.

The MLS isnt a high calibre league.

if the MLS isn't gaining ground, then how far did they make it in the last World Cup in Korea/Japan. Don't forget the handball on the German goal line, hmmm, what could have been USA's destiny from that point?????

Also, i never knew Canadians cared soo much about the MLS, aside from certain Canaidans playing down there, two years ago DeRoasrio scored the winning goal for San Jose in a thrilling finish.

PS - Daniel, if Joey Saputo figures a way into the MLS ownership rules and offers Montreal the opportunity to play in the MLS, i guarantee, you guys will be all excited about it. However, you got one thing right, the Lynx have the most unorthodox owners and the worst stadium to play out of, that i cannot argue with.

quote:Originally posted by Montry

With better leagues out there, why does so many Canadians Soccer fans care so much about the MLS? Are they hopping that one day a Canadian team will be allowed to play on it?

Because they are gay.

"As nothing in this life that I've been trying

could equal or surpass the art of dying"-George Harrison

Montry,

When did MLS claim to be a world class league? Define "quality league". The level of play in MLS has grown considerably since 1996. It's good enough that it produced the bulk of a world cup quarter finalist. Most of the games are entertaining and there are a lot of talented players. Especially young players. It's the 2nd best in the region with a lot of potential to grow. I haven't noticed an influx of Canadians at MLS matches, nor on MLS internet sites. The majority of fans at MLS matches are hispanics, suburban families, and 20 something Gen Xers.

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

quote:Originally posted by Montry

Crazy_Yank,

Succes at WC and league level are total different topics. Does Korea have the 4 best league in the world?

No, but unlike the A-league, it can produce players who can compete at the international level.

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

quote:quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Montry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because they are gay.

Or perhaps they live in the real world.

They may be gay as well, but I'm not sure about that. Let's take a poll.

Are you:

a) Pro MLS and straight.

B) Pro MLS and gay.

c) Anti MLS and straight.

d) Anti MLS and gay.

e) Pro CPSL, a rampant bi-crazed nympho and into knitting, long walks on the beach and Norwegian films of the 1980s.

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

Or perhaps they live in the real world.

They may be gay as well, but I'm not sure about that. Let's take a poll.

Are you:

a) Pro MLS and straight.

B) Pro MLS and gay.

c) Anti MLS and straight.

d) Anti MLS and gay.

e) Pro CPSL, a rampant bi-crazed nympho and into knitting, long walks on the beach and Norwegian films of the 1980s.

Glad to see that my flippant response to the question didn't get taken seriously.

I'm inclined to think that they are bi and are into the the homo-erotic situations of WWE wrestling.

Well I like MLS and I think it's a quality league. Certainly not the best, but getting better and entertaining enough (though this year has disappointed me). Why did I get into it? Well in 96 it was MLS, the EPL and well that was about all I could get on TV. I had EPL on TSN (I think it was still on TSN) and I could go catch MLS games on ESPN and ESPN2.

I'd heard of most of the players and as a Canadian soccer fan it was far more relevant to see how Martin Machon was getting on than it was to see the EPL.

Maybe if FSWC, TV5 and TLN were available to me when MLS started I'd be too busy watching Italian, French, Spanish, Scottish soccer, but they weren't and now I'm hooked I have a favourite team I've struggled with four eight years and I enjoy watching young players from around CONCACAF play in a decent league. No more, no less.

cheers,

matthew

The car is on fire and there is no driver at the wheel and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides. A dark wind blows. The government is corrupt and we are all so many drunks with the radio on and the curtains drawn. We’re trapped in the belly of this horrible machine and the machine is bleeding to death.

That's the problem, A-League is minor league, but those same cities (and a few more) in a CSL would not be...

Calgary and Hamilton is like "Middletown, USA", but we have so few cities that it's more important within a Canadian context.

I think we'd see Saputo at the forefront of a proper Canadian league before MLS... MLS can and would treat the Canadian teams worse than the others.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

My question is

"Why do Canadians care so much about Man U and Celtic". I'd rather have seen either of them vs an MLS team.

Free the banana cream 3!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

My question is

"Why do Canadians care so much about Man U and Celtic". I'd rather have seen either of them vs an MLS team.

Free the banana cream 3!

So would I.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

That's the problem, A-League is minor league, but those same cities (and a few more) in a CSL would not be...

Calgary and Hamilton is like "Middletown, USA", but we have so few cities that it's more important within a Canadian context.

I think we'd see Saputo at the forefront of a proper Canadian league before MLS... MLS can and would treat the Canadian teams worse than the others.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Well, here's to hoping your right, brother!

Had a nice, self-healing, rant earlier in the year after Sharpe's state of the union address and the CSA's grand scheme involving the Canadian A-League clubs, expansion, and a division of our "own" as it were. Quickly realised that no new Canadian League well ever get anywhere without the existing A-League members on board, and that Sharpe and company knew that. Now if the CSA wants to go along with whatever collaberators it can find in using the A-League for their own fell purposes untell the time is right I say God Bless Them.

Saputo can tell those control freaks in MSL to piss off. Bring back the Canadian Soccer League! Or Football Union, or whatever you want to call it! It's been too damned long since we've got to kick some eastern arse in a bit of footy![}:)]

"Minority of one"

Archived