Man U. vs Juventus July 31 Giant Stadium

mtlfan

I received the following message to pass on. The trip is from Montreal to New York. E-mail me if you are serious and I'll get you the contact.

i am selling 4 tickets

to ManU-Juventus

in NY.

$260 CNDN each

for ticket/hotel/breakfast/bus/prizes, etc.....

we are 54 people going. like i said i have

sold 50 seats, have 4 left. know anyone interested

leave july 31, get back day after

plz let me know

Tony

Steve

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

I received the following message to pass on. The trip is from Montreal to New York. E-mail me if you are serious and I'll get you the contact.

i am selling 4 tickets

to ManU-Juventus

in NY.

$260 CNDN each

for ticket/hotel/breakfast/bus/prizes, etc.....

we are 54 people going. like i said i have

sold 50 seats, have 4 left. know anyone interested

leave july 31, get back day after

plz let me know

Tony

Steve

No offense but, YOU CAN MUSTER 54 TO DRIVE FROM MTL TO NY!!!!!!!!!!!!! to watch a meaningless freindly involving two over-hyped teams who will probably not play all their first stringers and not give the maximum effort. But your not interested in driving a shorter 4 and a half hour drive to Boston to watch your national team play in the continental championship?

Sigh!!!!!!!!

Tony

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

It will prolly end up a meaningless 0-0 like last years (or two) AC Milan - Real Madrid match ...

Yeah, and the players will probably play hung over from the previous nights partying. The clubs will make mint in selling merchandizing and laugh all the way to bank.

You might be interested to know that we saw no fans from Montreal in Boston last weekend. My understanding is that there may have been one or two who were really interested (we can guess who they were) but couldn't make for logistical reasons. So my tirade is not aimed at them specifically. But Montreal to Boston is a really short hop and a really awsome ride. I'v done it myself and I can attest that this trip could have been sccomplished on the day of the game thus saving the travelers a ton of Money.. Would you believe that amongst our group in Boston there was someone who drove all the way from Winnipeg!!!!!!!! Thats a real fan!!!!!!!!!! not these 54...

If you're upset about this then you should be more upset about Sportsnet's broadcast of not only this game but the entire series, live --- yet when it comes to Canada...

Not to mention FSWC's broadcast of Real Madrid's thrilling Asian tour.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

If you're upset about this then you should be more upset about Sportsnet's broadcast of not only this game but the entire series, live --- yet when it comes to Canada...

Not to mention FSWC's broadcast of Real Madrid's thrilling Asian tour.

I can understand that these clubs have a huge following and hence the ratings will dictate what gets on air. So to answer your question, no I am not as upset. Also, its one thing to watch something from your couch and another to actually get up and go.

[DJT: Sorry Free kick, I accidentally deleted the rest of your post.]

I guess what I was getting b4 deletion at was: there are a multitudes of valid logistical reason why more people can't make out on trip like the Boston or Miami trip. Cost, disctance, commitments etc. I have no problem for example with a someone going to see these games instead of the Boston if they live in BC and the games are in Seattle. But MTL-BOS to see a triple header that inludes CRC and USA versus Mtl-NYC to see Nike versus Addidas??? Hmm, give your heads a shake please. Plus the Canadian teams featured some Impact players ( pizzolitto and Nash). what Montreal plyers are there on Juve and Man U

Why are you venting specifically at Montreal?

The problem you speak of regarding these plastic fans is very real, but region wise, it's probably worse in Toronto than it is in Montreal.

I'd be more comfortable with a MNT match in Montreal than I would in Toronto, the multicultural capital of the world where everyone and their sister has "Italian blood" (moms dogs vet's mother in law once visited Rome) and "loves the ah beeeeautifull game" (said every 4 years in a horrible pseudo Italian accent with the cliche hand gestures).

Btw, I don't mean to pick on the plastic Italian fans (nor those with Italian heritage like GL who follow the Italian team but are not confused about who they are and where their allegiances should lay), the same could be true about most countries with a soccer powerhouse.

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Why are you venting specifically at Montreal?

The problem you speak of regarding these plastic fans is very real, but region wise, it's probably worse in Toronto than it is in Montreal.

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

I am venting specifically at Montreal because of the distance and costs involved in the travel Mon-Bos versus Mon-NYC versus Tor-Bos. You could do this trip mtl-Bos in one day (ie.: leave at 7-8 am in morning and return at the end of the game(s)). Yes, these guys are plastic fans. I too am of Italian extraction, can still speak the lingo ( unlike many) and have had the pleasure to travel there on numerous occasions. But I cannot dispute your overall claim except to say that, as an ex-Montrealer, from my experience this phenoma that is worst in Montreal than in Toronto. We have had this discussion before didn't we.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I can understand that these clubs have a huge following and hence the ratings will dictate what gets on air. So to answer your question, no I am not as upset. Also, its one thing to watch something from your couch and another to actually get up and go.

That's true, but I guess I've just come to accept these "fans". I mean, if I come across a soccer "fan" on a regular day, he's always one of these.

Sportsnet is expecting this to be worth their while, right? I mean, they're probably expecting a large number of viewers if they're willing to buy the rights to these games (which I imagine weren't that cheap) and put them all on live in prime time? So they're expecting to make some money? Let's see some of their income go into broadcasting more Canadian games. Let's use these teams like they're using all the "fans" that will go to the games. We can't really do much about those "fans" travelling to New York, but we can at least try to influence Sportsnet.

Where did it get all aggressive against Montréal???

For the GC, I can tell you that most of the Impact fans don't really care about the National Team (especially since we never see them!).

Otherwise, I'd think that at Molson, we'd get a pro-Canadian crowd for pretty much any opponent save a few (Italy, Haiti, Israel, Algeria, France, ...).

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

For the GC, I can tell you that most of the Impact fans don't really care about the National Team (especially since we never see them!).

Otherwise, I'd think that at Molson, we'd get a pro-Canadian crowd for pretty much any opponent save a few (Italy, Haiti, Israel, Algeria, France, ...).

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

I don't think we should attack ANY football fan; plastic, ethnic, WC, Eurocentric, etc...

We're all in this together. It's the game that binds us, no matter who we support. Sure it's frustrating to debate with a Man U fan who claims our leagues are crap, but at least with that fan, half the battle is won.

I'd like to point out two fans who made the trip from Montréal: a young man of about 15 with his mother. They were in our section on Triple-Header Saturday, and right after she found out many Canadian fans were staying for the Monday games, she turns to her son and says: "Would you like to stay?". Never in my life will I forget how his eyes lit up. X-Mas had arrived early. This kid was obviously a big fan of soccer, he had the whole getup; jersey, scarf, hat. The mother was obviously making the trip for him. Not to get sentimental or anything, but it was beautiful to watch them.

I thought that kid was from the board, although I never asked him what his name was :(. Come to think of it, he probably has no idea the board exists and I missed a great opportunity to recruit a new member. I'm sure he'll eventually find us...[:I]

One thing's for sure, he'll be a fan for life. And his mom was getting pretty excited too, perhaps we've created a new fan.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

That was why ( before it was actually deleted by DJT) I questioned in my post whether the MNT should ever play in Montreal. But lets look at another way then:

1) there were 2 Impact players including Nevio Pizzolitto ( who I believe is a Montrealer) on MNT. How many Impact players are on Juve and Man U.

2) a triple header in Boston that features the pretty much full national teams of CRC and USA and and MLS match versus a match involving Coca cola versus Pepsi where you won't see anything that resembles the first team.

3) a short 4 and half hour drive through beautiful Vermont and New hamshire on I89 versus the boring 8-10 hour trek on I87 to the swamp lands of New Jersey. BTW, the full-return-Boston trip can be done on the same day.

4) Historic Boston and new stadia in Foxboro versus the old stadium in suburbia-concrete filled- New jersey

5) an opportunity to not only see a game but one where the players will ackowledge your existance by applauding in your direction and might even allow to to get close to them and interact with them and even their families. As opposed to a bunch of snobby millionaires who don't a rats ass about the fans and are only there to party it up. the clubs are only there to sell Merchandize.

6) 260$ CAD versus the $32US for game tick plus car gas to get from Montreal to Boston ( thats less than a tank). I still can'r believe people are forking over 260$ for this.

So even if your not all that Loyal towards the MNT program. What would offer the better Value for the money?

Free Kick...

Come on man. We're all upset to a certain degree that there weren't more Canadians in Boston.

But do you really think you're going to show the people who are going to New York the error of their ways? Do you think they'll read your post and repent? The answer is obviously no.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to New York to see Man U. Fact is, the people going down there WILL get to see the stars play. That's the point of Man U and all the Euro clubs coming to America: to promote their teams. It's more than Adidas v. Nike or Coca-Cola v. Pepsi.

I was in Amsterdam last summer to watch Man U play Ajax in a friendly. GREAT match, with beautiful goals and I got to see all the stars; Becks, Scholes, V. Nistelrooy, Barthez, etc etc etc. Am I evil? I tend to think not.

Sure we'd like those people to have gone to Boston instead. But let's not villify them for wanting to see the stars. These are still soccer fans. Allies. It doesn't make Montréal a bad soccer city. In fact, with all the support the Impact are getting from the fans and media, an argument can easily be made that Montréal is the best soccer town in Canada at this moment.

Mimglow, Ottawa

You are the witness of change

And to counteract

We gotta take the power back

Rage Against The Machine

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

No offense but, YOU CAN MUSTER 54 TO DRIVE FROM MTL TO NY!!!!!!!!!!!!! to watch a meaningless freindly involving two over-hyped teams who will probably not play all their first stringers and not give the maximum effort. But your not interested in driving a shorter 4 and a half hour drive to Boston to watch your national team play in the continental championship?

Sigh!!!!!!!!

I for one can't wait to go see Juventus. I could care less if the game is 0-0. I'm just upset I'm not able to stay in NY for the SuperCoppa match.

And for anyone who calls people "plastic" fans, you should kind of be ashamed.

Haven't we already gone through all this crap on the old board on numerous occasions?

As in any Canadian city, the people who go and watch live soccer (ie A-League, women's nats and eventually men's) aren't the same that would go to a ManU v Celtic game (these are the people that watch CL on TV and then laugh off anything local simply because it is - because 99% have never been to a game).

A national team game in Montréal would draw an amazing pro-Canada crowd (except a few opponents, like I've mentionned before). Also, there were games in Montréal on Friday, Wednesay and Thursday...

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

As in any Canadian city, the people who go and watch live soccer (ie A-League, women's nats and eventually men's) aren't the same that would go to a ManU v Celtic game (these are the people that watch CL on TV and then laugh off anything local simply because it is - because 99% have never been to a game).

And again we generalise...

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

I would agree here its the same kind of people who buy product A over product B for no other reason than the fact that they have seen it on TV. Really its the star power rather than the game of soccer that attracts these fans.

For what its worth, Before I go too far on this one, I will likely be watching this game on TV. They are both very good clubs with rich histories and some very good players ( del Piero, Nedved, Montero, Van Nist., Keane,Veron... etc) But its thier names and trademark that is the draw. There are lots of teams with superb talent but that don't have drawing power of Man U versus Juve.

quote:Originally posted by littleD

And again we generalise...

I talk from experience. This winter, go to a crowd gathered around a Champions' League game and ask them about the local club or the chances of the Nats against Finland. Observe the reaction.

I do both and those who go to games usually watch Euro soccer, but rare are the ones who watch Euro soccer on a regular basic and go to a live local game.

You think that's not true?

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Guest Jeffery S.

Regarding these tours in the States.

First off I am one of the few people here who can see such quality teams regularly (Barça every second week), though in fact I saw more lower division games this last season than Barça. I am talking about 5th division, 4th, 3rd. I really enjoy it, perhaps more than going to Camp Nou unless the team is on a roll, since the expectations for a great team are so much higher you are more easily disappointed as well.

The only reason I would go see Canada is because I am Canadian. Not for their play, though perhaps for the fun of the event. If they play well then I am pleasantly surprised.

I think most of the ManU, Juve, Milan, Barça matches in the States starting next week are sold out. Folks who can never see such players are happy to get a chance, even if it is early preseason for most (except ManU, who should be more on form). We should be happy that in Canada there are people who want to see top qualify football, it suggests that maybe there is some passion for the game, and some sense of what real quality is. I have heard Barça will usually play two separate teams in each half, so folks will only get to see 45 minutes of Ronaldinho or Kluivert. Yet Kluivert just screwing around is still amazing to watch, and better live, you appreciate his odd talent all the more. Why worry about it?

I'm not really supporting either point of view but if your a football fan in this country why wouldn't you want to support your local team AND friendlies involving great teams from Europe.You don't get to see this calibre of football in North America everyday.I always look forward to watching the Whitecaps and will support them until one of us dies but when I heard Celtic and Manchester United were coming to Seattle I didn't think twice about getting tickets no matter what the cost.I'm not even a fan of either team and I don't really care that I might only see the starters for a half.I'm just interested in the live event.

As for the MNT you can bet that next time they play in Canada I'll be there as well.No matter if its Edmonton,Montreal or Vancouver.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I'm not really supporting either point of view but if your a football fan in this country why wouldn't you want to support your local team AND friendlies involving great teams from Europe.You don't get to see this calibre of football in North America everyday.I always look forward to watching the Whitecaps and will support them until one of us dies but when I heard Celtic and Manchester United were coming to Seattle I didn't think twice about getting tickets no matter what the cost.I'm not even a fan of either team and I don't really care that I might only see the starters for a half.I'm just interested in the live event.

As for the MNT you can bet that next time they play in Canada I'll be there as well.No matter if its Edmonton,Montreal or Vancouver.

I have no problem and even agree with your point. I fully understand why someone from your geographical area would choose to go to Seattle to watch these games. I would do the same thing it is afterall great soccer. But the point illustrated with the 54 montrealers going to New Jersey is a bit of an extreme. You need to understand that Montreal to Boston is quite a short hope and it can be done on in one day without requiring a stay over. Plus the total costs of going to the GC is a fraction of the 260$ for Manu-Juve.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think one way they could have ensure a better quality of play in these friendlies is to make it into a Cup. Since it has even been called the US Tour in some press (reading BBC online today), they could have made it into a mini-tournament. Something to play for, which is what is missing in all but the Italian Cup final.

I know that all the schedule is not balanced, but they could have taken four of the teams (most logical would have been Juve, Barça, ManU and Milan, all in the east), organized a completely interlocking series of games, and let them play for a Cup in the end, perhaps even some extra cash out of it for the winner. Then teams would be sure to fight a bit harder, though they would also have had to put a limit on subs, say 5, or else it is too casual.

Barça I think is only playing in stadiums where NFL is, in fact I think it has to do with Barça being the sponsor of the American football team in Barcelona, the Dragons. There is a mutual merchandising agreement even. So I guess every side in the States this summer has their own agenda. How many of these games are double-headers with MLS teams playing before or after?

Archived