Canadian U18 squad for USA friendlies annouced

ray

From the CSA:18-Players Selected For Training Camp

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s (U-17) Team Head Coach Stephen Hart announced his 18-player roster that will travel to Blaine, Minnesota for an eight day training camp from July 7th -14th including two friendlies against the United States on Friday, July 11th at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota and on Sunday, July 13th at the National Sports Center in Blaine.

The roster includes 13-players: Robert Giacomi, Trevor Delpippo, Myles Davis, Andrew Hainault, Brad Peetoom, Tyler Rosenlund, Vince Stewart, Derek Rios, Marcel De Jong, Andrea Lombardo, Cam Wilson, Rob Orefice, and Gabriel Seguin-Gauthier who came within goal differential of claiming a berth at the 2003 FIFA Under-17 World Cup in Finland when Canada hosted the CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament in March 2003 in Victoria, BC.

"This age group has not been together since March,” said Hart. “This will be an ideal opportunity to provide them with some additional international experience as many of them will be competing for places on the next Under-20 Men’s Team.”

Game schedule

July 11th vs. USA – 11h00

Macalester College - St. Paul, Minnesota

July 13th vs. USA – 19h30

National Sports Center – Blaine, Minnesota

Roster

Pos No Name Club/Training Centre DOB Hometown Prov

GK 1 GIACOMI, Robert Ontario 01-Aug-86 Richmond Hill ON

D 2 DELPIPPO, Trevor Ontario 07-Jul-86 Courtice ON

D 3 DAVIS, Myles BC 29-Jul-86 Delta BC

D 4 HAINAULT, Andrew Quebec 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

F 5 PEETOOM, Brad BC 02-Mar-86 Abbotsford BC

M 6 ROSENLUND, Tyler BC 13-Sep-86 Port Coquitlam BC

D/M 7 STEWART, Vince BC 21-Jan-86 Delta BC

M 8 RIOS, Derek Ontario 12-Sep-86 Toronto ON

M 9 De JONG, Marcel PSV Eindhoven 15-Oct-86 Eindhoven NETH

F 10 LOMBARDO, Andrea Ontario 23-May-87 Toronto ON

M/F 11 WILSON, Cam BC 21-Aug-86 Delta BC

D 12 EDGAR, David Newcastle Utd. 19-May-87 Kitchener ON

D 13 OREFICE, Rob Ontario 13-Aug-86 Brampton ON

M 14 LUK, Michael Ontario 22-Aug-86 Scarborough ON

D/M 15 SEGUIN-GAUTHIER, Gabriel Quebec 19-Aug-86 Chateauguay QC

D 16 RAMALHO, Graham Groningen 12-Jan-86 Groningen NETH

M 17 NIELSON, Daniel Alberta 27-Feb-86 Calgary AB

GK 22 PELC, Dan Ontario 29-Jun-86 Mt. Hope ON

Staff

Name Function Hometown Prov

HART, Stephen Head Coach - U17 Men Halifax NS

NEELY, Stuart CSA Staff Coach Nobleton ON

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Manager Toronto ON

LAARABI, Djamel Equipment Manager/GK Coach St-Leonard QC

LAING, Dwayne Athletic Therapist Edmonton AB

We have a kid playing in Eindhoven? Awesome...

And another for Newcastle United. Wow. I guess I need to read up more our youth players.

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

It seems that Graham Ramalho is from Calgary.

From the Groningen website.

Graham Ramalho

Geboortedatum: 12 januari 1986

Geboorteplaats: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Team: FC Groningen B1

Hoe oud begon je met voetballen: Sinds ik kon lopen

Hoe lang speel je bij de FC: sinds 2000

Vroegere clubs: Edgemont, Calgary (Canada), ACV Assen

Voorbeelden: Roberto Carlos, Cafu

Wat vind je van de FC: Een goeie club in de jeugdopleiding, leuke ambience en aardige mensen

Favoriete positie: Rechts achter of voorstopper.

Opleiding: International Baccalaureate (zelfde als VWO)

Toekomst: Ziet er goed uit in voetbal en school. Ik zou tenminste een keer n het stadion willen spelen!

Yes, Actually two kids at FC Groningen. It looks like Troy Gardezy born in 1988 is too young. Groningen was the original club of Ronald and Erwin Koeman (whose father was, at one time, a coach there).

Edgar is a local (KW) kid that actually has posted here about his exploits. Father was a keeper with Newcastle at one time and now has been involved in doing GK clinics in the Kitchener area.

De Jong is a Newmarket born and Amsterdam raised kid that has actually played and trained in the KNVB system but chose to represent Canada instead of Holland.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

We have a kid playing in Eindhoven? Awesome...

And another for Newcastle United. Wow. I guess I need to read up more our youth players.

Mimglow, Ottawa

"Pockets of Saddam's regime are still resisting..." Uh-huh. As opposed to "Iraqi citizens fighting against occupation". Cute.

Aside from Jamie Peters, are there any starters from the U-17 qualifiers not on the team? It will be interesting to see how they choose to defend Adu. There are disputed assertions that most of the teams the US plays are double and triple teaming him.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Aside from Jamie Peters, are there any starters from the U-17 qualifiers not on the team? It will be interesting to see how they choose to defend Adu. There are disputed assertions that most of the teams the US plays are double and triple teaming him.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

This is true and 99% of the time it backfires because Adu isn't our only standout. I don't know anything about the Canadian players though, so it should be interesting.

"Try not, do. Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

This article from the Edmonton Sun posted by WF on the other board suggests Carmelo Rago Jr (of Puerto Montt in Chile) was also invited to the U18 camp. He had to decline due to injury.

---------------------------------------------------------------

He's getting his kicks!

By TERRY JONES -- Edmonton Sun

Club de Deportes Puerto Montt isn't Bayern Munich. The Chilean Primera isn't the German Bundesliga. But it's a pro team in a pro league in a real soccer country. And the idea is the same.

When Owen Hargreaves left Calgary as a teenager to join the Bayern Munich program, he gave himself every opportunity to develop into a pro player. Now Carmelo Rago Jr. of Edmonton is doing the same thing.

Hargreaves went through the Bayern Munich system - youth team to B team to becoming a starter on the big team - then ended up playing for England in the 2002 Korea-Japan World Cup.

Rago, at the same age, is going the same route. Except starting with Puerto Montt. In Chile.

"Everything is experience. I want to develop to go to Europe,'' said the just-turned 17-year-old midfielder, back in town this week while he recovers from a stress fracture injury.

"Hargreaves went to Europe a few years back at 16, the same age I went to Chile to start this winter. But now you're not allowed to go to a European club until you're 18.''

Why Chile? Part of it, most certainly, is who you know.

Carmelo's dad, a local player who won a U.S. soccer scholarship and came home and decided to score with meat balls instead of soccer balls (he owns the Sorrentino's restaurant chain) knew local soccer's most connected man, Joe Petrone, who knew Chilean soccer general manager Victor Jorge ...

Jorge, on the phone from Chile, says Rago is going to be a player.

LOOKS TO BE A PLAYER

"He's been working with the team since January. He works very hard, has very good feet and only needs competition every day in this kind of environment to get to the top level. He's going to become a top player in the next year or two. He's going to develop into a good offensive midfielder.''

Recently, Canadian U-17 coach Stephen Hart invited Rago to join the team in Minnesota for the U.S. Cup but Rago had to decline because of the injury.

The kid is legit.

It's been an interesting experience so far.

Puerto Montt is a city of 250,000.

"It's a beautiful city and very friendly,'' says Carmelo Jr.

It's not been easy. He went there not knowing the language.

"I know some Italian and some of the words are similar,'' he said. "And it's actually turned out to be fun that way because a lot of the players are trying to learn English. I walk into the dressing room and they say, 'What's up, man?'

"In the beginning it was difficult. I was so nervous,'' he said. "But that's all gone. The players are really nice to me.

"Soccer is totally different when you are playing every day in a pro atmosphere. I've been enjoying every day of it.

GOOD MOVE FOR HIS DEVELOPMENT

"I don't think I could have made a better move for my development than go down there. To train with the team every day ... it's really improved my quickness, my handling of the ball and my confidence.

"The biggest thing is to think quick and react fast. I feel I've improved a lot.

"I appreciate the style. In South America they play the game on the ground more than in the air.

"I went down determined to work as hard as I can,'' said the player who is working with Jorge Rodriquez here to stay in top shape while he recovers from his injury, prior to returning to Chile for the second half of the season.

The team was third in the 16-game first half in the 16-team Chilean first division.

Rago doesn't play for that team. Or, at least, he hasn't yet.

"I've played all my games for the B team in the preliminary game to the main game,'' he said.

Four imports are allowed on the main team. Rago would be eligible to play in the event of an injury or a decision to make him one of those players in the second 16-game season, which begins in the fall. If he gets to the main team this year, he figures it'll be on the bench.

He has no idea if he'll get a chance to go to Europe when he turns 18 or continue in Chile.

"Wherever is the best for me,'' he said. "The main thing is to improve.''

Who knows if Rago will ever become a Hargreaves. But that's the goal. And if he does ...

"I'd play for Canada. No way I'd play for any other country than Canada.''

We'll hold you to that, kid.

Archived