Biggest Fears at the Gold Cup

Gian-Luca

1. My biggest fear is that Corazzin scores a pile of goals in the Gold Cup, earns a regular starting spot for World Cup Qualifiers, but then doesn't score at all during qualifying, leading to an early World Cup elimination. Sound familiar? :D

2.A little more seriously now, I don't want to see us play bunker-football (not to be confused with plain good defensive football) at any time in this tourney, with the possible exception of against Mexico in Azteca where we just might not be fit to do anything else. We have to keep maturing. In the 2000 Gold Cup we bunkered quite a bit. In 2002 only a little bit. In 2003, hopefully none. I hope we see a much more balanced game against Costa Rica than the one we saw in the 2000 Gold Cup, where it was mostly Costa Rica attacking us for 90 minutes. Admittedly, not having De Guzman hurts us in this respect, I think Canizalez should start in midfield as he can help the team retain possession.

3.I hope we don't wilt in the heat. We've been a team that has started strongly in recent matches with excellent first halves, only to lose it in the 2nd half. Lets hope that doesn't happen here. We have 2 games in 3 days so I hope we use the max. # of subs in those two games.

4.If we face the US in the Q-F (a good possiblity), no Tam around to completely shut down DeMarcus Beasely. The responsibility would go to Bent I guess, though it means we need someone esle who's quick in shut down Donovan.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

1. My biggest fear is that Corazzin scores a pile of goals in the Gold Cup, earns a regular starting spot for World Cup Qualifiers, but then doesn't score at all during qualifying, leading to an early World Cup elimination. Sound familiar? :D

To quote The Who "We wont be fooled again". So I hope the first part is true:)

2.A little more seriously now, I don't want to see us play bunker-football (not to be confused with plain good defensive football) at any time in this tourney, with the possible exception of against Mexico in Azteca where we just might not be fit to do anything else. We have to keep maturing. In the 2000 Gold Cup we bunkered quite a bit. In 2002 only a little bit. In 2003, hopefully none. I hope we see a much more balanced game against Costa Rica than the one we saw in the 2000 Gold Cup, where it was mostly Costa Rica attacking us for 90 minutes. Admittedly, not having De Guzman hurts us in this respect, I think Canizalez should start in midfield as he can help the team retain possession.

If we get to Azteca, I promise not to complain about the style of play in the game, no matter the result.

3.I hope we don't wilt in the heat. We've been a team that has started strongly in recent matches with excellent first halves, only to lose it in the 2nd half. Lets hope that doesn't happen here. We have 2 games in 3 days so I hope we use the max. # of subs in those two games.

Yeah. Perhaps you should introduce Hoger to his substitutes when you are down in Boston. Somebody has to.

4.If we face the US in the Q-F (a good possiblity), no Tam around to completely shut down DeMarcus Beasely. The responsibility would go to Bent I guess, though it means we need someone esle who's quick in shut down Donovan.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

The task will be easier if Fenwick is on the bench :D

The opinions expressed above are just that.

My biggest fear? We bunker and lose two close games to CR and US and beat a bunkering Cuba with McKenna's head and we feel good about playing two good team close.

I want to win the thing obviously, but it might almost be better for the long run if we lose to Cuba. That might be enough of a reality check for Holger.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

My biggest fear is that after playing well in the first half but not scoring, Holger doesn't make either player or tactical changes because he doesn't want to lose big.

We have our team. It's a good team, if not a great team. Now we should play with passion, imagination and intelligence, and make adjustments as required. If we are there, we should go for it.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change

the subject. -- Winston Churchill

My biggest fear is the absence of DeGuzman becomes a regular feature in Canada's internationals and that teaser of fluid, understanding we say between our midfielders in Wolfsburg disappears.

My 2nd greatest fear is David Xausa remains a starting striker going into WCQ.

"Minority of one"

My number one biggest fear is seeing Nick Dasovic standing on the pitch for the starting whistle of any game. He's a good guy, he was a good player but he has no right to take the place of: Klukowski, Canizalez or Pozniak. He was totally useless against Germany, and I dont need to see that he's over the hill in person.

2. In agreeance with G-L, Tam and Julian are some of our faster boys. When we have to play against Costa Rica, I think we're going to see just how much we miss their speed. We haven't seen Bent in a while, let's hope he's fit and up to the task.

3. That security in Foxboro will take away my trumpet after using it in an attempt to assault Holger because he started Dasovic. (joking Holger, joking)

Cheers,

Max

________________________________________________________________________________________________

“I've found the smaller, faster players, they're not so fast when they're lying on the grass. It tends to slow them down a bit.” Mark Watson on Japan's speedy Confederations Cup team.

I fear that we won't be able to score any goals, except against Cuba off a set play or by out-muscling them in a scramble in the box.

But after reading this thread I now fear many more things! [:0]

My biggest fear is that a hot dog costs $15 at Foxboro. :D

Not really, like everyone else, I fear that a defensive shell will

occur with the team a lot and have little/no support for Hume and McKenna. As well, I fear Holger not providing timely substitutes and expecting Dasovic, De Vos, Fenwick, and Nevio to run in the heat & humidity.[xx(]

Other than fearing the usual biased refs and blatant acting by our CONCACAF brethren, I know our players will give their all and not embarrass themselves. Bring it on!

Guest Jeffery S.

I was thinking that the number one fear is that Costa Rica and Cuba play the last game and they will know what to do to benefit themselves with our results already set. But going through options again I realize that if we win a game we are sure to be through.

Costa Rica has the advantage as they have a four day rest between games. We have just two, but we usually start well and taper off if anything, so I have no problem with the draw or order.

If we can't get through the first round I say it is time to consider other options to lead our team through WC qualifying. Yallop anyone?

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

But going through options again I realize that if we win a game we are sure to be through.

I don't know, we won one last time and still needed a coin toss to get through. Last time, on paper anyway, a win over Haiti and a loss to WC-bound Ecuador maybe wasn't so bad --- comparable to a win over Cuba and a loss to Costa Rica this time --- but the key was that Haiti upset Ecuador --- can Cuba upset Costa Rica this time??? I don't think so either, but, after that last few minutes against Ecuador, I'm not going to say it's over until it's over (to borrow from Yogi Berra).

quote:Costa Rica has the advantage as they have a four day rest between games. We have just two, but we usually start well and taper off if anything, so I have no problem with the draw or order.
I'm not sure I follow you? Recently we have started well and tapered off within a game, but overall we tend to get better as we play more games over a short period of time --- which is why I find it very frustrating that we're not going to have a full friendly before the Costa Rica game. [V]

Guest Jeffery S.

I stand corrected on the question of whether we build or fade. You are probably right that we usually build as we go. And agree about not having at least a game (should have been this weekend in Toronto).

As for the draw, I guess what encourages me is that whatever happens in the Costa Rica game and vs. Cuba the Ticos will have to play for a result vs. Cuba, unless we simply lose to both. Then they'll be playing to avoid the States in quarter finals even. But I am sure they'll beat Cuba.

As I am damn sure we'll beat them as well.

The doubt about the draw is essentially that CR will know if we happen to tie them and beat Cuba (4 points for us) just how many goals they'll need to score to take first spot even if tying us for points.

Make the ball run, so you don't have to.

-Johan Cruyff

Nevio? Nevio's only 26, 1 year older than Stalteri, and he's quick. I think you meant Carlo, no?

Oops, I meant Mr. Corrazin (aka Gold Cup 2000 Golden boot winner).

Thanks.:(

[B)] My biggest fear is that we may win it all and then sit all cocky in cloud 9 and blow the WC qualifiers. Insofar as what is being called "bunker style" there is a difference between falling back with many players to defend the penalty area, a somewhat accepted practice, versus defenders not moving up to centre quickly enough due to complacency, exhaustion or laziness when we have control. This I find unacceptable. TV images permitting just keep an eye on the AR running in our half, watch for how many times and how often does he move to the centre line. An indication that our second last defender has moved up. [8)]

Archived