MLS Next Rules

I like these rules.  I hope they introduce a version of them at the senior level soon and eventually in all of FIFA.

Under the Off-field Treatment Rule:

If a player is suspected to have an injury and is on the ground for longer than 15 seconds, a medical crew will come onto the field to evaluate the player and assist him off the field

Once the player is off the field, the player will be treated by the medical staff and will be required to remain off the field for three minutes

Under the new Red Card Suspension Rule: If a player receives a red card, that player will serve the resulting one-game suspension against the same team that he received the red card. The rule applies in the case of a red card or a second yellow card.

The rule was created to provide more fairness to clubs regarding the discipline of red cards.

The rule is going to be called the ‘timed substitution rule’ and it will certainly make players leave the field in a hurry with drastic consequences for not abiding to the rule. The MLS Next Pro won’t be having rapturous applause for departing players anymore.

Instead, they’ll have 10 seconds to exit the field of play, should they fail to do so, the team making the change will be forced to continue with 10 men for a minute, so you’ll certainly need to think twice before taking your time!

49 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I

Under the new Red Card Suspension Rule: If a player receives a red card, that player will serve the resulting one-game suspension against the same team that he received the red card. The rule applies in the case of a red card or a second yellow card.

The rule was created to provide more fairness to clubs regarding the discipline of red cards.

What happens to red cards late in the season when the teams will not be playing each other again.  If it is carried over to the next season, the player could be out of the league or even playing for the team he got the red card against.

I like the idea but seems to have some technical limitations.

4 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

What happens to red cards late in the season when the teams will not be playing each other again.  If it is carried over to the next season, the player could be out of the league or even playing for the team he got the red card against.

I like the idea but seems to have some technical limitations.

I like the other ones better than this one for that reason. 

I think all those rules are mostly useless and merely attend to petty complaints from people who don't care about the essentials of the game. 

A red being served against the same rival means possibly waiting a year, until next season; and worse in MLS NEXT where they don't even have a balanced schedule: you may not see that team again. Or because a player might change teams or leagues and thus be able to skip a sanction. Dumb rules lead to dumb exceptions.

In any case, it is always better for a guy making a rash challenge to reflect about his error that very week, sittting in the stands next match.

If a player is injured by a rival in a challenge that does not warrant a card, you can't reward the hack team and punish the player and team that were subject to hacks. They don't have VAR. An elbow opens an eye and the guy bleeds. The ref didn't see it. They bandage it and the guy has to wait a few minutes more while the guy who got away with it plays. Right.

The newish rule saying a player down after a challenge meriting a card does not have to leave the field reflects this principle. It is also dissuasive, teams late in games trying to get back in used to make hard challenges, get players off the pitch, and use the one-player difference to their advantage: very cynical. Rewarding cynical anti-football to appease what again?

Subs: the rule change already indicates a sub should leave the field to the nearest sideline. 

You could develop a different sub board, so that first you show the players to leave, 1, 2, 3, and they all go off immediately, instead of doing them one by one, which is damn slow. Then the board shows 1, 2, 3, players coming on correspondingly. Easily annotated by the refs. In fact, technically, who subs for who need not even be relevant in football, but since it is a convention, you keep it, but can make the multiple subs much faster.

Finally, the ref is free to add extra time, and in recent years, with the 5 subs and VAR, games go longer. A system whereby each action of a game is given a base "time" would not be bad. X minutes for a sub (such conventions exist in many leagues), more for multiple sub windows, x for medical attention, x for a penalty, x for a free kick requiring attention on the wall.

Refs have begun to waste massive amounts of time themselves with new rules, but no one wants to fix this. The idea that for every penalty a ref has to remind the goalkeeper where to stand and how to move is stupid and insulting. I mean, it'd be like stopping play and telling a guy, every throw in, how to do put his hands and feet correctly. Refs are also time wasting on corners where there are scuffles in the box, they spend a long time fiddling and housekeeping and it ends up being endless. Then the attacking team does a short one and the ref looks like a fool. Instead of interminable warnings, just let plays go and apply the rules if you see them broken. You have VAR after all, or your assistants; if anything comes of a scuffle on a corner, ask the ARs or look if you can.

MLS NEXT and all of North American sport could also get rid of the national anthems, useless, and start games at the announced starting time. MLS is the only soccer league in the world that can't start at the announced time.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You could develop a different sub board, so that first you show the players to leave, 1, 2, 3, and they all go off immediately, instead of doing them one by one, which is damn slow. Then the board shows 1, 2, 3, players coming on correspondingly. Easily annotated by the refs. In fact, technically, who subs for who need not even be relevant in football, but since it is a convention, you keep it, but can make the multiple subs much faster.

I'd like to see them add a timer to the sub board.  When an on-field player's number is shown on the board he has, say, 15 seconds to get off the field otherwise he gets a yellow.  Should stop the dawdling when a team is ahead.