Match Thread: Island Games - September 2, 2020 - Valour v HFX Wanderers

narduch

15 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Same question six matches in as I had before the tournie.  Where do the goals come from?  Same question I expect a lot of other people had.

Didn't see the match, just listened on the mobile, sounded like things were going good.  And had not to show for it.

It's a short season, a weird season, and I don't claim to be smart enough to see how this team would have looked later into a normal season but I suspect I'd be asking the same question 15 matches into a 28 match season as I am 6 matches into a 7 match tournie.  Where do the goals come from?

Don't know.  Don't ask me.  I didn't put together this team.

Grrrr...

You are not alone. It is not just Valour's problem in my opinion. Edmonton, York and to a lesser extent Cavalry and Ottawa struggle too.

Edmonton and Cavalry because they simply can't seem to feed their strikers. York and even Forge are slightly suspect up front. The midfield generally chips in most for most clubs. Ottawa is somewhere in between the two scenarios. Levis was unlucky today as were a few valour players. Pacific and Halifax are the only two teams that are looking both balanced and threatening in attack imo.

Ultimately I think the league simply has a much stronger set of defenders than it does strikers.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

You are not alone. It is not just Valour's problem in my opinion. Edmonton, York and to a lesser extent Cavalry and Ottawa struggle too.

Edmonton and Cavalry because they simply can't seem to feed their strikers. York and even Forge are slightly suspect up front. The midfield generally chips in most for most clubs. Ottawa is somewhere in between the two scenarios. Levis was unlucky today as were a few valour players. Pacific and Halifax are the only two teams that are looking both balanced and threatening in attack imo.

Ultimately I think the league simply has a much stronger set of defenders than it does strikers.

I was thinking the same thing tonight while watching Ottawa-Pacific.  Also goes to show ultimately how hard it is to put the ball in the net in this game when the opposing team is defensively competent - and why guys who can do it get snapped up by bigger teams.