CANADIAN HYPOCRICY

Robert

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 08/02/2018 at 10:32 PM, dsqpr said:

So, here is a hypothetical: Lets keep everything in the OH saga the same except for one thing: suppose he was born and grew up in England and had a Canadian grandparent. Canada wanted him but he chose England. Would you feel the same way about him as you do now? If not, then your problem is that he was BORN AND RAISED IN CANADA BUT CHOSE TO PLAY FOR ANOTHER COUNTRY! (Not shouting, caps just for emphasis.)

If you think you would feel the same way, fair enough. Regardless, I hope you can now see why the two situations are in fact very similar.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you're saying after your question, but I'll answer your question.  

If The Whore was born in and grew up in England, he'd be English.  Why would I care if some English player decides to play for England or Vatican City or Antarctica.  

I'm already aware of what my problem with Whoregreaves is, which I explained in my post, I believe.  

its simple He had an opportunity to be a part of a team that was going to play in a major tournament. Yes it was Canada's loss but that is what happens in the international soccer world. Certain countries(france) would never have reached the heights it has with out some of it's old colonizing ties. So just admit we all would do it too and go for the team that gives you the best chance of actually going to a world cup. The anger comes from jealousy. The Hargreaves family are very kind and generous lot! 

Is there any difference between Owen Owen Hargreaves and Ted-Jan Bloemen? No one in Holland seemed to have a problem with Ted-Jan winning a gold-medal for Canada. Good on him. The only difference is, Holland has lots more Ted-Jans, while Canada only had one Owen. NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH! :);):P:D:lol:B)^_^B):rolleyes:-_-<_<:wub: I love these little fucking things. They really bring out the kid in me! Time to do a little self-examination for the sore-losers.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/olympics/2018/02/09/speedskater-ted-jan-bloemen-a-late-bloomer-after-ditching-the-dutch.html

Speedskater Ted-Jan Bloemen a late bloomer after ditching the Dutch

Skater has become world record holder on Canadian team after struggling to break through in the Netherlands.

Ted-Jan Bloemen moved to Canada from the Netherlands in 2014 and has since won multiple world championship and World Cup medals wearing the Maple Leaf. The long-track speedskater says he was skating when he could barely walk. (The Canadian Press)
By DAVE FESCHUKSports Columnist
Fri., Feb. 9, 2018
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

PYEONGCHANG, SOUTH KOREA—When Ted-Jan Bloemen arrived in Calgary in the summer of 2014, he had goals and dreams. But he also had a rule.

The goals and dreams were clear: He wanted to be a great speedskater, something he’d been trying, and failing, to become in his native Netherlands for most of his young life. He also wanted to be Canadian, just like his father, Gerhard-Jan, who was born to Dutch parents in Bathurst, N.B., and spent the first seven years of his life there before moving back to the Netherlands.

Which dovetailed into the rule. Even though Bloemen and his new coach on the Canadian team, fellow Dutchman Bart Schouten, shared a common homeland and a native tongue, Bloemen insisted they speak only in English. Never mind that speaking Dutch would have been easier for both of them, especially when it came to discussing the nuances of a high-performance sport that has its epicentre in the Netherlands. For the past four years Bloemen and Schouten, even when they’ve talked on the phone one on one, have stayed committed to speaking only English.

Schouten said it’s been crucial for team unity.

“We think it’s super-important that everybody feels included,” the coach said. “We think we could exclude people if we speak Dutch.”

Bloemen said the language of choice was also important to him because he didn’t want to be seen as a passport-swapping mercenary who was adopting Canada’s flag out of convenience.

Dutch-born Ted-Jan Bloemen, who has spoken only English while with the Canadian speedskating team, holds world records in the 5,000 and 10,000 metres.
Dutch-born Ted-Jan Bloemen, who has spoken only English while with the Canadian speedskating team, holds world records in the 5,000 and 10,000 metres.  (JEFF MCINTOSH / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

“When I decided to move to Canada, I decided I wanted to be a Canadian. I wanted to be part of this Canadian team as a Canadian. I didn’t want to be just a Dutch guy skating for the Canadian team,” Bloemen was saying this week. “That would feel like cheating a little bit. That’s the reason why I said to Bart, ‘I want to be a Canadian. So let’s speak only English.’ ”

There are those in the Netherlands who surely wish Bloemen was plying his trade while speaking Dutch. In the four years since he left, Bloemen has risen to rare heights. The reigning world record holder in both the 5,000 metres and 10,000 metres, Bloemen set both marks by breaking the standards established by Sven Kramer, the Dutch powerhouse with the legendary resume that includes 19 world championship gold medals and the past two Olympic golds in the 5,000. While the 31-year-old Kramer is here attending his fourth Olympics — and looking to add to his collection of seven medals — Bloemen, also 31, is making his Olympic debut. And as much as Bloemen owns the world records, Kramer has proven a difficult man to beat in big moments; their impending showdown figures to be a compelling on-ice drama.

7 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Chub you need to talk to Joe Two Rivers.  I don't know if we'll be able to get your medication all the way back here in the bush.

3YJMvM4.png9d1947g.jpg

Holy Fuck! I'm flattered Daddy-O. You went through all that trouble to cut and paste a picture of me on a Monday morning. Why don't you just give me your address here, and I'll make sure you get a personally autographed copy,

On 18/02/2018 at 11:00 PM, dsqpr said:

Yes, you said he would have made a big difference to our National team and the entire program. And above you made it clear that the fact he was born and raised in Canada is also a key issue for you (not surprisingly).

So the only difference with the Scott Arfield situation is that you don't think he would have made a big difference to Scotland, had he been selected. You are effectively saying it is alright to play for a country other than the one where you were born and raised so long as you aren't very good! That is simply a justification for your hypocrisy.

You seem to prefer arguing to debating.  If there is someone else who agrees with you and would like to put your point across in a more polite way, I would be happy to discuss this with him/her.  

Archived