Canadian Championship (VCup) Rebrand Suggestion

I was thinking of how a lot of my buddies that casually follow TFC and CanMNT still think of the tourney as the Amway Cup cuz they're stoopid as hell, but that's also all that they really know the tourney as, with Amway having been prominent before and many N American fans being so used to sponsorships.

Just so I do have it correct, the tournament at the moment is officially called the Canadian Championship and the cup is the Voyageurs Cup, right? I think the name of the tournament is terrible, and I'd like to suggest a quick rebrand of it, modelling it simply off the FA Cup, since England is what mainstream soccer fans always look towards here in Canada.

Why not call the tournament "The CSA Voyageurs Cup".

Homage to the V's, but make the name of the tourney simple, so mainstream fans can just call it the CSA Cup, similarly to the FA Cup. I've put it on twitter and tagged both the CSA and the V's/Jamie, and I thought I'd quickly share it here as well. I really do think the name "the Canadian Championship" is just awful for marketing purposes; it's too unwieldy. cc @admin

Would you suggest the Stanly Cup become the "NHL Cup"" I guess the Grey Cup will become the "CFL Cup"?

Sounds absurd right?

What's wrong with going with the original name and calling it the Voyageurs Cup? That is simple and distinct, happens to be the truth, and is in keeping with Canadian sporting tradition.

After last night, there will likely be a few sponsors stepping up, and we will have a xxxxxx cup/championship name once again.

I still reflexively say CSA as well. It's Canada Soccer and it will likely take me a while to deprogram that. 

2 hours ago, ted said:

Would you suggest the Stanly Cup become the "NHL Cup"" I guess the Grey Cup will become the "CFL Cup"?

Sounds absurd right?

What's wrong with going with the original name and calling it the Voyageurs Cup? That is simple and distinct, happens to be the truth, and is in keeping with Canadian sporting tradition.

I think you're confused slightly about my suggestion. I was suggesting changing the name of the tournament, not the trophy itself. Hope that clears it up.

2 hours ago, admin said:

After last night, there will likely be a few sponsors stepping up, and we will have a xxxxxx cup/championship name once again.

I still reflexively say CSA as well. It's Canada Soccer and it will likely take me a while to deprogram that. 

I can imagine the CSA having rebranded to Canada Soccer for marketing purposes. Isn't it still officially called the Canadian Soccer Association legally though?

Well, good for CSA to get a sponsor. My hope at the least is that they get rid of the word "Championship" and replace it with "Cup" for the tournament itself.

"Sponsor" Canadian Cup, at the very least.

"Sponsor" CSA Voyageurs Cup, that would be my ideal re-branding of the tournament name.

Archived