Whitecaps and Alberta Soccer to set up a Whitecaps Academy in Calgary

shermanator

My own feedback on this is that while it looks good in a fluffy press release, I am incredibly skeptical about this. That being said, I am not a big fan of the Whitecaps setting up satellite academies outside of BC, so that may be clouding my view. For me, the following questions will have an impact on how I view this decision over time.

1. How will the Whitecaps Calgary academy work in relation to Calgary Foothills? Calgary Foothills have been doing fantastic work the last decade, and are arguably the model to follow in Western Canada outside of a professional setup. How will this affect the PDL club?

2. Will setting up this academy mean more professional opportunities for players in Alberta? The true results of this question will of course not be known for years.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/post/2016/08/08/caps-working-together-provincial-neighbours-alberta-grow-game

A lot already in the Caps system from Calgary & Edmonton. You'll know we are doing great when they open a second centre in Edmonton. 

The whole satellite setup outside BC has been going on for a long time. Their "MLS Territory" (for what that's worth) goes to western Ontario. Already getting players from Manitoba & Saskabush with setups there so Alberta was the next logical place. I'm kind of surprised they didn't put one in Edmonton. Maybe trying to keep good relations with the NASL academy? 

49 minutes ago, TRM said:

A lot already in the Caps system from Calgary & Edmonton. You'll know we are doing great when they open a second centre in Edmonton. 

The whole satellite setup outside BC has been going on for a long time. Their "MLS Territory" (for what that's worth) goes to western Ontario. Already getting players from Manitoba & Saskabush with setups there so Alberta was the next logical place. I'm kind of surprised they didn't put one in Edmonton. Maybe trying to keep good relations with the NASL academy? 

At the moment, the Caps look to have more young prospects from the Prairies than they do from their own back yard.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

They spoke with FC Edmonton before and got their blessing, based on this article: http://the11.ca/whitecaps-forge-new-partnership-in-alberta-fc-edmonton-gave-thumbs-up-to-deal/

I wonder if Whitecaps' entry into Alberta could be the catalyst for setting up an Alberta or Prairie D3 league ala League1 Ontario? Would have to think they, Calgary Foothills and FC Edmonton would be interested to start. WSA Winnipeg and 4 more clubs and we could have something. Probably pie in the sky right now though.

These Whitecap academies are "for profit" revenue generators - prospects pay fees and buy their own training gear (mandatory branded of course) - that may occasionally unearth a prospect. It's pay to play and a symptom of (not the cause) the mess that is the Canadian developmental system. It's no threat to an NASL team that has a legit developmental academy. It's better than nothing - the key guy here in Saskatoon is the university coach - so if you can afford it (its cheaper than hockey) it is likely better than what might otherwise be available.

It was due to the Saskatoon satellite that the Caps discovered Brett Levis.  Caps are expanding due to brand awareness and marking their territory.  Without no NASL / USL teams in the prairies bar Alberta, it at least gives Prairie kids a chance of becoming part of the Caps Academy.  So far, from what I heard from pundits and media guys on Twitter, the Caps academy is still the best youth academy that isn't called Sigma.

Archived