Quebec Premier League (PLSQ) 2016 Season

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

All of them? Or just the winners? If all of the CPL teams get an entry, it will take a whole lot of dates to be added to the Cup. 

I imagine there would be a qualifying system, where the D3 champions play each other, then play the remaining NASL team/teams, then join CPL and MLS for the final rounds. 

Personally, I'm pretty excited by an enlarged V-cup. Assuming 8 CPL teams, 3 MLS, and 1 qualifier from D3 and NASL, there could be a group stage with three groups of four followed by a playoff. I think that's a substantial enough tournament to attract interest. 

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I imagine there would be a qualifying system, where the D3 champions play each other, then play the remaining NASL team/teams, then join CPL and MLS for the final rounds. 

Personally, I'm pretty excited by an enlarged V-cup. Assuming 8 CPL teams, 3 MLS, and 1 qualifier from D3 and NASL, there could be a group stage with three groups of four followed by a playoff. I think that's a substantial enough tournament to attract interest. 

3 groups of 4 seems like a bad idea in a cup competition. I don't mind 4 groups, or 2, but 3 groups just feels wrong.

I want the  Gold Cup to go to 16 team. Let's make CONCACAF great again! #BlackdudeforMontagliani

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

3 groups of 4 seems like a bad idea in a cup competition. I don't mind 4 groups, or 2, but 3 groups just feels wrong.

I want the  Gold Cup to go to 16 team. Let's make CONCACAF great again! #BlackdudeforMontagliani

Four groups of three is probably better for setting up the playoffs, three groups of four was just the first thing that popped into my head. I guess winner of each group would move on instead of winner of each + wild card, which would be messy.

Honestly, marketed properly I could see that sort of V-Cup actually drawing decently on TSN.  Twelve team interleague tournament, winner-takes all competition to have the right to represent Canada on the international stage? Surely you can spin that well.

If it ends up being a 12-team competition, I expect you'll see single-elimination with 3 MLS & CPL champion getting a bye to the quarter-finals, and the other CPL/NASL teams entering in the round of "16" alongside the L1O/PLSQ Inter-Prov Cup champions.

MLS won't want to play more games than they have to for this, so I'd really be surprised if a group stage came out of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived