WSA Winnipeg 2016

Toje

• 3 weeks later...

Eduardo Badescu, WSA's head coach and founder, has a blog. He's a very interesting fellow but I get the sense that he's been working a bit in isolation. He echoes many of the themes on development of Canadian soccer that you find elsewhere, but when I sat down with him he seems a bit unaware of what others are saying. 

He is a delightfully eccentric guy with a great sense of humour and loves to show off his photo collection of himself with his Italian heroes. Pretty fun stuff. UEFA Pro license holder I think.

https://wsawinnipeg.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

Really wish I could have been in Winnipeg for the mini-tournament WSA hosted. Someone should host a Canadian semi-pro Voyageurs Cup type tournament for the six Canadian PDL sides. It could double as a scouting combine for players. Perhaps make the stipulation only two players on the field for each side can't be Canadian and perhaps only 3 players allowed for each side over age 21? I dunno just throwing ideas out there.

7 hours ago, Toje said:

May 22 - St Louis Lions 4 WSA Winnipeg 0 (attendance 127)

May 23  - Kokomo Mantis FC 4 WSA Winnipeg 0 (attendance 125)

May 25 - Chicago Fire U23 5 WSA Winnipeg 0 (attendance 107)

Ouch.

There's a road trip they'll be happy to leave behind them. 

13 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

There's a road trip they'll be happy to leave behind them. 

Unfortunately the team was missing half their roster for the road trip. And most of the players missing are the more important ones. Moses Danto (their top goal scorer), Ivan Borka (one of their few NCAA guys) and Raphael Ohin (possibly the best of them all) did not make the trip. They're in tough this year as Kokomo is an upstart club with lots of internationals and St. Louis is normally the best shot at winning at all. 

10 hours ago, Winterpeg said:

Unfortunately the team was missing half their roster for the road trip. And most of the players missing are the more important ones. Moses Danto (their top goal scorer), Ivan Borka (one of their few NCAA guys) and Raphael Ohin (possibly the best of them all) did not make the trip. They're in tough this year as Kokomo is an upstart club with lots of internationals and St. Louis is normally the best shot at winning at all. 

Ah. Didn't know that. Why were they missing?

10 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Ah. Didn't know that. Why were they missing?

The word out of Winnipeg is that Moses Danto cannot cross the border into the U.S. due to a legal matter and regarding Raphael Ohin, he apparently is not a Canadian Citizen and does not have a visa to enter States.

1 hour ago, charlesmazz said:

The word out of Winnipeg is that Moses Danto cannot cross the border into the U.S. due to a legal matter and regarding Raphael Ohin, he apparently is not a Canadian Citizen and does not have a visa to enter States.

Yes. Was talking to a reporter here who said Ohin is actually from Ghana but can travel, just didn't get his paperwork in time for the trip. 

• 4 months later...

Marc Bircham I believe had a piece in this. Funny enough his Winnipeg born grandfather is how he played for the us. 

Danto is expected to sign with Sporting KC after impressing on a summer trial but wouldn't surprise me if he signed with Arizona. He's supposed to be going back to KC this month. 

Should note Ohin is not Canadian, but very talented

Archived