February 26th - Calling All Voyageurs in the Edmonton Area

Sport Shaman

We have received an invitation from the FIFA WWC 2015 Local Organizing Committee (LOC) to be part of an event at Edmonton's City Hall during the noon hour on February 26th.

"Thursday, February 26 marks 100 days till the Women's World Cup kicks off here in Edmonton. This is also the same day individual match tickets go on sale to the general public, so it's an exciting milestone day for us locally and across the country.

We'll be looking to celebrate with a variety of events, one of them being a simple photo op at City Hall with Mayor Iveson. Was thinking this would also be a great time to engage members of the local Voyageurs crew. You guys are such a great group of ambassadors, and we would like to connect with some of you to see if you might be willing to join us for this photo op, decked out in your red and white with drums, banners, flags; the whole thing.

Knowing that a supporters section in Commonwealth (and in stadiums across the country) have already been reserved for you guys is a great story for me to be able to share on the day our tickets go on sale too."

I have had a follow up conversation with the LOC contact here and agreed to get as many people out to this event as we can. So I need to know two things from the rest of you:

1) Who can make it out to this lunch hour event on the 26th in Voyageurs colours. Bring as many "Voyageurs in Training" as you can.

2) Any and all of your ideas on how we can maximize the positive exposure for the Voyageurs.

For those lacking Voyageurs gear, I still have some swag here from when Jamie shipped us some stock for the U20WWC. 

So, this is going ahead. For all the massive numbers of Vs that responded to this call out :rolleyes: , the 411 is this. Please be at Edmonton City Hall by 11:45 AM in the main floor foyer (near countdown clock by the windows overlooking Churchill Square). The LOC will be presenting the Mayor with an official match ball at 12:15 PM and he will then say a few words marking the 100 day countdown and the launch of individual game day ticket sales. The Voyageurs in attendance will lead/ teach those in attendance a simple family friendly chant along the lines of "We're Red, We're White, We're Awfully Polite, CANADA, CANADA, etc. Youth soccer players and the LOC will be in attendance and there will most likely be a photo opportunity for Vs with the Mayor and possibly some local sports media who may (or may not) want to know a little more about the Voyageurs.

It may not be an out of the park home run for us but every little bit counts. :)     

There is a pretty good Youtube video posted online that captures some of the proceedings. I would love to post the link but this Voyageurs site does not allow me to quote or to paste anything.

Why oh why am I restricted this way?? No seriously why? Do I have to change some settings or does the admin have to fix my account settings? Very frustrating.

Hopefully someone who is able to paste in these forums can search it out and add the link.

The video is titled "FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015 - We're Red, We're White" and it was uploaded by a gentleman named  Doug Brinkman. 

^^^ LOL, yes it was a rather churched up version with uncharacteristic restraint by the Vs for the "family friendly" audience that was there. Obviously those types of restrictions are not in place come game day at the pregame, the stadium or the after party. BTW, our contacts at the LOC sent a great big thank you to the Voyageurs and included a link to their photo gallery. They said, "my boss was a big fan of the Voyageurs supporter Edmonton photos and as such, wanted them right near the top of the page :)"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/canadasoccer/

Archived