Singapore club to shelve foreigners to assist National squad

nolando

True enough, to do well in the 28th South East Asia (SEA) Games football competition in coming June will be the utmost priority for the perceived national developmental squad - Courts Young Lions in the first phrase of this season's S.League.

Speaking to the media after conceded a three-one defeat to the visiting Johor Darul Takzim II at the Jalan Besar Stadium, Coach Aide Iskandar confirmed the notion by added during the first six-month of the domestic season will not see any of their foreign signings feature in action.

One option to allow their foreign signings (i.e.: Canadians Jordan Webb and Sherif El-Masri) to gain some match fitness is to loan them out during the preparation period, as the former national skipper explained.

http://www.bolasepako.com/2015/01/aide-sea-games-is-priority-for-young.html

A little unusual, but refreshing to see a country put the development of its own national squad ahead of any club interests

• 1 month later...

How long has Webb been in Singapore? He would be eligible after 5 years. El-Masri represented Canada at the last U23 qualifiers so he can't switch to Singapore - not sure how they thought he could, guess they didn't do their homework?

• 4 months later...

The latest on this is that Webb went back to Canada for six months to train and has returned to try and play for Singapore. Sherif still thinks he can switch, which he shouldn't be able to, as jpg pointed out. Tough life this lower league football abroad; it's hard not to think these two are getting the runaround or, at very least, getting lead astray by the most ignorant advice.

http://www.tnp.sg/sports/singapore-football/waiting-their-chance

• 2 months later...

How long has Webb been in Singapore? He would be eligible after 5 years. El-Masri represented Canada at the last U23 qualifiers so he can't switch to Singapore - not sure how they thought he could, guess they didn't do their homework?

Singapore has very strict citizenship laws and does not allow dual nationality. Foreigners gaining citizenship must renounce all other citizenship. Singaporeans acquiring another nationality automatically lose citizenship. Nationals acquiring another nationality without informing the authorities (i.e. trying to keep both) will be sent to jail.

I've lived in Asia for a long time now and am 100% certain on these points. So I'd say little chance Webb switches once he realises the consequences and El-Masri probably isn't eligible so like you guys unsure what he's going on about... 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived