No more "Big" clubs?

Sam Brown

Yes, I think it sort of does, although LA and NY will still be the first teams talked about when a high-calibre player is interested in coming over. MLS will still be happy to adhere to those wishes, as I think they still want LA/NY to be their staple clubs.

At the end of the day, MLS puts a lot of effort into its image (which is fair enough, but sometimes, the rules they play by are odd if not downright 'iffy'). People were starting to make a stink over the fact that two clubs get top talent, so they reacted. When Dempsey came over, they went out of their way to put him in Seattle, where he (and, I'm guessing, they) wanted to be. One of the clubs to make a minor fuss over Dempsey was: Toronto FC. Apparently, TFC was interested, but he was pulled away because of behind-the-scenes action from the MLS FO (Something about it being better for the league if Dempsey played in the US). So, combine that with the fact that MLS is starting to get worried about TFC sucking every year, which doesn't help their pocket books, and I think Michael Bradley was handed over pretty easily.

I think Jermaine Defoe is a different story. TFC went after him and got him. Good for Leiweke on that one.

At the end of the day, MLS believes that they are only as strong as their weakest club. They'll take care of everyone in every way possible, but its not a secret which clubs are their favourites. I don't think that'll change as long as Garber is around.

Well the pressure is on TFC this season more than ever. Nelsen's head is on the chopping block if they don't get results fast (in fairness, he's had more time than a lot of his predecessors). Which is fine, it's hard to come up with excuses with three DP's especially of that caliber.

But not every MLS club has the same amount of money to spend. I don't see Montreal spending 10 million to sign a DP. MLSE desperately wants their soccer-franchise to succeed. And Leiweke has had a lot of succes with some big names in LA. If not for results, at least he'll get some season-tickets sold.

Now that Jermaine Defoe and Michael Bradley have signed with Toronto FC, does the notion that LA and New York get all the "best" DP's end?

This ended as Red and White said when Dempsey signed with Seattle. Since MLS makes little money compared to leagues of other sports from TV revenues, attendance is everything. There are no "big clubs" now; only Seattle has superior attendance. The complex rules of MLS player signings prevent a club like Seattle from being in MLS what Paris St-Germain is to Ligue 1.

Well the pressure is on TFC this season more than ever. Nelsen's head is on the chopping block if they don't get results fast.

Yup. We'll see how it goes. Good home results and near the top of the standings won't be enough. They will be expected to easily win the Amway Canadian Championship and therefore have a title by early June.

This ended as Red and White said when Dempsey signed with Seattle.

I don't think it was safe to say so then. It was more of an anomaly at that point. I think TFC's moves confirm it.

I guess the bigger question worth asking is which clubs have the ownership willing to make similar moves.

Last 5 champions of MLS:

Kansas City

LA

LA

Colorado

Salt Lake City

Columbus

Okay, that's six. But were there ever big clubs? Donovan and Beckham won 4 major trophies in 3 years (Shield/Double/MLS Cup) and that was a great team but they also missed the playoffs in '07 and '08 to set-up that run.*

The playoffs will always remain a great equalizer.

*The difference wasn't DPs: it was coalescing of great coaching, good drafting, the smart acquisition of MLS journeymen, and some creative accounting for Juninho.

Last 5 champions of MLS:

Kansas City

LA

LA

Colorado

Salt Lake City

Columbus

Okay, that's six. But were there ever big clubs? Donovan and Beckham won 4 major trophies in 3 years (Shield/Double/MLS Cup) and that was a great team but they also missed the playoffs in '07 and '08 to set-up that run.

The playoffs will always remain a great equalizer.

and if you look at past 6 Supporter's Shield winners, they are Columbus, LA, SJ and NY.

Archived