Cosmos unveil planning proposal at belmont park.

4 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Sources from the New York Cosmos reiterate club has not folded and a sale in the coming weeks is a possibility.

My winning the lottery in the coming weeks is also a possibility.

Fact remains that - more than any other club - the Cosmos only retain value if the NASL continues to exist.  Sure, someone with ambition might take a gamble and buy them, but it will be for pennies on the dollar if it happened.

• 2 weeks later...
ok BAS sometimes makes me laugh...but this time I am convinced that Lewis is clearly on drugs:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=46669

One intriguing rumor bouncing around has new owners acquiring the (Cosmos) team. They would then have the club stay out of competitive soccer for a year and then purchase the Red Bulls to perform in MLS in 2018.
Like I said, an intriguing rumor.

9 minutes ago, msilverstein47 said:
ok BAS sometimes makes me laugh...but this time I am convinced that Lewis is clearly on drugs:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=46669

One intriguing rumor bouncing around has new owners acquiring the (Cosmos) team. They would then have the club stay out of competitive soccer for a year and then purchase the Red Bulls to perform in MLS in 2018.
Like I said, an intriguing rumor.

Why not just buy RBNY outright rather than monkeying around with the Cosmos?

5 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

folks around these parts are still offended with supporting an energy drink brand...so my guess is that they might think that the Cosmos brand is a better value for them.  But in reality it makes little sense and I'm a bit perplexed that a reporter such as Michael Lewis would even entertain the "rumor"

5 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

If they buy RBNY, the owners would need to rebrand the team as Red Bull would cease being the team's name. My guess is they'll just paste the nostalgic Cosmos brand to the team rather than come up with something new or go back to Metro Stars.

39 minutes ago, Macksam said:

If they buy RBNY, the owners would need to rebrand the team

yeah...but neither one is going to happen...RBNY have a beautiful stadium worth $200mill+ and the MLS expansion franchise fee is now over $100mill.  My guess is that the starting price for an established MLS club with stadium starts at $500mill.  I still think that I'm being conservative...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived