Alan Gordon picked over Wondo and Altidore for Oct WCQ

nolando

Interesting stuff...looks like tactics primarily but with a liberal spoonful of politics on top.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_21726412/jozy-altidore-off-us-roster-wcup-qualifiers

This was discussed on Fox Soccer News/Soccer Central last night as well. Really don't understand how Wondolowski and Altidore can be left out of the US squad.

I'm torn as well between Klinsmann sinking the squad or going to the semi-finals of the next World Cup. I have no love for the US and it would be sadistically humourous if 'the anointed one' took the US team down the proverbial tubes. OTOH, a stronger US team does a lot for the profile of the sport in North America.

Despite all that, the selections (or non-selections) are real head scratchers.

I'm torn as well between Klinsmann sinking the squad or going to the semi-finals of the next World Cup. I have no love for the US and it would be sadistically humourous if 'the anointed one' took the US team down the proverbial tubes. OTOH, a stronger US team does a lot for the profile of the sport in North America.

It's unlikely, but I would love it if Guatemala somehow pulls off the win tonight! How sweet would that be? :D

Archived