Osvaldo Alonso is now a US citizen

nolando

http://www.soundersfc.com/news/articles/2012/06-june/osvaldo-alonso.aspx

This match in particular will be significant because when Alonso stands with his teammates in the starting lineup on the pitch at CenturyLink Field and listens to the over 39,000 in attendance sing The Star Spangled Banner, it will be the first time he will have that experience as a United States citizen.

“It will be different,” he smiled, suddenly realizing himself the emotion of the moment. “It’s my new country. I’m an American and when I hear the national anthem, it’s going to be a good day for me.”

It has been five years since Alonso defected from Cuba, giving him the opportunity to apply for his citizenship. Last Thursday, he passed the test, now he’s an American citizen.

Man I would love to have a guy like this in the Canadian line-up. Like Sebrango, is he permanently cap-tied to Cuba or...?

Martins, definitely a CMNT guy if he sticks around for 5 years. I'd say the same for Sanvezzo, Frei, and what not. Not that these guys would all be starters but we need all the depth we can get. But we've had this thread before...

Don't like defectors playing for England. Wouldn't want a defector playing for Canada. One thing to immigrate into a society/country another to suck from your home country and then turn your back.

Of course in this case - could be similar to Sobrango who immigrated and then idiots put the title 'defect' because its Cuba.

Archived