Where's TT........

canadianfoot

According to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teitur_Thordarson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_Soccer

Is it a Step forward..or backwards in TT's carreer....

I was really hoping to see him even in some tiny EU country but.........that's a far far cry from the Whitecaps FC.......

http://www.cassiusmanagement.com/news/Teitur-Thordarson-Selected-For-Indian-Premier-Leag

Teitur Thordarson has been selected as one of the six foreign coaches to take part in India's new unique franchise-based Premier League Soccer (PLS) tournament.

The PLS. which will consist of six franchises based in Kolkata, Durgapour, Haldia, Barasat and Silguri will kick off on 15th February with the group stages to be played on home-and-away basis. The top four teams will progress to the semifinals, which will again be double-legged affairs.

Each team will be able to field one Icon player, three foreign strs, six under-21 players and a minimum of nine or a maximum of fourteen Indian players. Argentina's 2006 World Cup captain Juan Pablo Sorin, France's 1998 World Cup winning member Robert Pires, Nigerian attacking midfielder Jay-Jay Okocha and former Portuguese internationals Maniche and Sergio Conceiaco will be among the Icon players.

Cassius Management's Head of Sport Richard Trafford has said 'Securing Teitur the position in the new Indian PLS is a fantastic opportunity to be part of the league from it's inception. Teitur is very experienced in football in the franchise format and this knowledge shall be invaluable in this new adventure. We wish him the best of luck.'

Teitur has said 'I am very thankful for the opportunity to become one of their coaches in the new PLS league. I am also very excited about it and I am looking forward to start working in India.'

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/01/16/thordarson-to-coach-in-india/

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Stars-lined-up-for-Indian-soccer-league/articleshow/11500274.cms

NEW DELHI: Former international football stars including England's Robbie Fowler and France's Robert Pires are set to take part in a tournament in India playing alongside local talent, according to organisers.

The ageing footballers could earn up to $600,000 for playing in the seven-week tournament which is being run along the lines of cricket's Indian Premier League and is pencilled in for a February 25 start.

Italian World Cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro, Argentina's Juan Pablo Sorin and Hernan Crespo, Nigeria's Jay-Jay Okocha and Spain's Fernando Morientes are also lined up, according to the Celebrity Management Group (CMG) which is organising the tournament with West Bengal's football association.

Foreign coaches including Englishmen Peter Reid, John Barnes and Colin Todd have been signed up to take charge of teams, with each of the six franchises based in West Bengal.

Once the team owners for the Premier League Soccer (PLS) tournament are finalised later this month, each of the players will be auctioned off, with the bidding process expected between February 10-12.

"The idea is to have one icon player and a top coach with each of the six teams," said CMG's Bhaswar Goswami.

"Television coverage will ensure this tournament will attract viewers across India even though it will be played in West Bengal. We are working out the details."

Teams will play each other twice on a home and away basis, followed by the semi-finals and the final, the organisers said.

Team owners will be allowed to spend a maximum of $2.5 million on buying players, who stand to earn between $100,000 and $600,000 in the first season, which will last seven weeks.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/ifa-launches-premier-league-soccer/214350-5-21.html

Kolkata: In a bid to make the game more attractive at the national level, the Indian Football Association (IFA) on Thursday launched Premier League Soccer (PLS) - which will have Portuguese midfielder Nuno Ricardo de Oliveira Ribeiro aka Maniche, winger Sergio Conceiçao and many other world class foreign players turning up alongside Indians beginning mid-February.

IFA, along with the officials of promoters Celebrity Management Group (CMG), on Thursday announced the names of some of the icon players and the foreign coaches who will be up for auction among the six franchises.

The auction for the seven-week tourney will be held from February 10-12, the organisers said.

According to CMG, PLS will have six franchises, to be chosen for Kolkata, Howrah, Barasat, Durgapur, Haldia and Siliguri. Each franchise can have four foreign players.

"Sorin, Maniche, Jay Jay Okocha, Sergio Conceiçao, Robert Pires, Hidetoshi Nakata will be part of PLS Season-I as icon players. Among all these players, there are some players where the negotiations are at the advanced stage. Altogether we want 10 icon players who will be up for auction. Then there will be Category-A players and then Under 21 players and then there will be Indian players," said Bhaswar Goswami, executive director of CMG.

All the players are well past their prime. Some have even retired from professional football.

"We have also roped in world class coaches like Tony Adams, John Barnes, Samson Siasia, Marco Etcheverry, Peter Reid, Teitur Thodarson. These coaches will also be up for auction among the franchises," said Goswami.

The six franchises will be chosen through bidding and would have to pay a yearly fee for it. The franchises will also have to adhere to a ceiling regarding their spending through the year. The tournament will be spread over seven weeks where a mix of national, international and local players will play.

"All the teams will play five home matches and the same number of away matches in the first stage. Then there will be semi-finals and then a grand final," said Dharamdutt Pandey, CEO, CMG.

The base price of the icon players will be $400,000-600,000, the base price of coaches will be $200,000 and that of category-A players $200,000. For young players or Under-21 footballers, the base price will be $100,000.

Hard to argue it's a step forward, in terms of football prestige or what not.

It's a intriguing situation though, and could be very lucrative for TT.

The Money is definitely there.....interesting that even thou they intend to pay 2.5milions a year on some sort of Salary Cap.....that they will only have 1round of home and away games.

I mean at least one could double that, 2home and 2away rounds.

The Money is definitely there.....interesting that even thou they intend to pay 2.5milions a year on some sort of Salary Cap.....that they will only have 1round of home and away games.

its 2.5 million to purchase players in an auction i think, not a salary cap. i don't think it applies to wages.

and maniche is awful. hard to picture him as an "icon" for anything but lazy over-the-hill football

Teitur's career has always taken him to new places every few years. He has a habit of going native and learning the language so it should be interesting to see if he picks up Hindi or any of the other 100+ dialects/languages spoken in India.

In at the start and can help build a new league. Interesting to say the least. In Canada he was in a country where the media drowns out soccer with hockey and now he will have to deal with the Indian media and cricket.

Good luck to Teitur and hopefully he is making good coin at it.

its 2.5 million to purchase players in an auction i think, not a salary cap. i don't think it applies to wages.

and maniche is awful. hard to picture him as an "icon" for anything but lazy over-the-hill football

Ya that league looks like it's going to be NASL level at best, Jay Jay Okocha lol

Teitur's career has always taken him to new places every few years. He has a habit of going native and learning the language so it should be interesting to see if he picks up Hindi or any of the other 100+ dialects/languages spoken in India.

In at the start and can help build a new league. Interesting to say the least. In Canada he was in a country where the media drowns out soccer with hockey and now he will have to deal with the Indian media and cricket.

Good luck to Teitur and hopefully he is making good coin at it.

This league is in Bengal (so, he can learn Bengali if he wants), where people are football crazy. The biggest clubs in India hail from here (Mohun Bagan, East Bengal, Mohammedan Sporting) and play at a 120,000 seater stadium. This can likely succeed as a 7 week gimmick tournament, but, I hate the idea and hope that it's a failure and nobody thinks of trying it again. hate hate hate :mad:

India's cricket IPL is a fantastic, money-making, exciting sports success story, but it has few key differences from what I can see of the PSL: a) the IPL teams bought current, top-of-the-line, international cricket stars to fill their ranks, not aging has-beens; B) it used 20-20 cricket as opposed to longer, more staid 50 bowl or test cricket, and c) the major Bollywood actor.

If Bengal is as soccer-crazed as SSK says, I could see this dominating the niche Bengali market and surviving year after year, but there's no way the PSL as currently envisioned will capture the rest of the country's imagination and reinvent or rejuvenate Indian soccer. TT should make a very nice bundle of cash, however.

• 1 year later...
Teitur's going to help coach a third division side in Norway (FUVO?) and is apparently still waiting for the Indian League position to come to fruition, which he seems optimistic about and which the article says is held up by FIFA:

http://www.tv2.no/sport/fotball/teitur-thordarson-gjoer-trenercomeback-i-norge-4025593.html

Here is GOOGLE Translation:

Teitur Thordarson does trainer comeback in Norway

Icelanders will train 3 Division made FUVO from Nes on Romerike.

Oslo (TV 2 Sport): Thordarson is a household name in the Norwegian league where he has led include Fire (two periods), Lyn (two periods) and Lillestrøm.

After two seasons in Ull / Kisa he went to Iceland and KR before he disappeared on to the Vancouver Whitecaps in Canada. 61-year-old was the coach of the club's first season in MLS, but after a planned stay in the fledgling Indian League was postponed last winter, he moved back to Norway.

On Wednesday night, he was hired as coach of 3 division club FUVO (Funnefoss / Vormsund) from Nes on Romerike.

- I will help them for a while, but do not know how long. They contacted me Monday, we met Tuesday and I was there to watch a workout tonight, says Thordarson to the website of TV2

On the way to India

Icelander, who has worked with children and youth initiatives towards sports in Ullensaker and a center with physicians in Oslo over the past year, to head 3 division team in the opening series already Sunday.

- It will be interesting to see how we look. I know very little about the club, but was little known in local football in Romerike when I trained Ull / Kisa in two years. FUVO aims to establish itself in the 3rd division, and then mostly in the upper half. It was set long before I came, says the Icelander.

Thordarson still has a deal with the planned top football betting in India and Barasat Euro Musketeers. The plans are put on hold by FIFA, but Thordarson is clear that he is traveling eastward as fast Indians get the green light.

- In the meantime, it's nice to help FUVO, says 61-year-old who will lead the team with young Oliver Heiberg.

Joy in Nes

FUVO obtained Erik Hagen's brother Rune as new coach earlier this winter, but he disappeared after the first qualifying match of the championship where Nesbu smoke for Fields and Hagen were expelled. 3. division club rock place in the last league last year, but has brought in a number of reinforcements this winter.

- It took time, but this was a very good solution for us. I think it might give the club a good sporting boost, not only for 3 Division team, but for the whole club. We can use Teitur thoughts and experiences down in age groups, says FUVO Leader Tom Hagen to the website of TV2

• 1 year later...

Archived