Shaun Saiko

Keegan

How good is this guy? Who does he compare to from past and present Canada players?

He has an impressive background coming through the youth ranks of a (former) premier league club and now in his first pro season he already has 5 goals. I've been following FCE all I can and he always seems to have his name in the highlights. I remember reading match reports for Boro reserves when he was over there and he seemed to always be an impact player as well, versatile too in that he could play up and down the right side and in the middle of the park.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely been one of our top 3 players this season IMO. Tend to play in middle rather than wide for us. Good balance of industriousness and creativity and has chipped in with some goals too. Was unfairly sent off against TFC - for a naive rather than a bad challenge. Could see him play at a higher level as he has the temperament and work ethic.

Definitely been one of our top 3 players this season IMO. Tend to play in middle rather than wide for us. Good balance of industriousness and creativity and has chipped in with some goals too. Was unfairly sent off against TFC - for a naive rather than a bad challenge. Could see him play at a higher level as he has the temperament and work ethic.

Actually I'd go further and say the challenge was rather British, which in Europe and North America tend to viewed more harshly. As apoint of intrest, during the CR-Eddies game we had a poster by the name of "boroyouth" who is keeping a watching brief on the Ex Middlesboro academy boys plying their trade in North America; and Shaun in Perticular.

Sadly for him he signed off for the night (4:00 am in the UK) before the Penalty.:(

Also, this guy is not alone on the Web feed as a viewer from Europe. I was also chatting to some of the Bolton boys last night (Tampa-Bolton Wanders) who may tune in on sunday, mainly to give one or two of the Tampa Fans the bird ....again!:rolleyes:

we had a poster by the name of "boroyouth" who is keeping a watching brief on the Ex Middlesboro academy boys plying their trade in North America; and Shaun in Perticular.

Sadly for him he signed off for the night (4:00 am in the UK) before the Penalty.:(

boroyouth is very active on Twitter and tweets often about former Middlesboro academy players in action all over the place. @FCESG follows him and he often asks for updates on Saiko... which, of course, we provide~

Actually I'd go further and say the challenge was rather British, which in Europe and North America tend to viewed more harshly. As apoint of intrest, during the CR-Eddies game we had a poster by the name of "boroyouth" who is keeping a watching brief on the Ex Middlesboro academy boys plying their trade in North America; and Shaun in Perticular.

Also, this guy is not alone on the Web feed as a viewer from Europe. I was also chatting to some of the Bolton boys last night (Tampa-Bolton Wanders) who may tune in on sunday, mainly to give one or two of the Tampa Fans the bird ....again!:rolleyes:

His studs were up and his foot was off the ground. It was an easy red.

I"m not saying it wasn't. Im just saying that in the UK, argicultural football still gets a little leway with some of the refs, thats all.

His red was a bit heavy for sure. Reds used to be a pretty tough card to receive. They used to hand out yellows first. I've seen too many straight reds, it's a bit strange and usually ruins what could have been a good match.

Saiko is beautiful. My favourite player. The kid does it all. He's a general out there. Runs hard, tackles hard, wins balls, runs at the defense, takes on players, oozes confidence. He can shoot, take free kicks and bury penalties. His corners are dangerous too. He has great vision. He's also a 1989... He's young. He was a fan and club favourite in England and I'm sure it was paperwork and bureaucracy that sent him home.

Take a look at Hamilton too. They are #1 and #1A in my books. Hamilton's game has grown crazy fast. Every game, he just seems to get better and better. Fullback of the year in the NASL so far, hands down.

Is Hammie not a centre back? Whatever, for sure, he is the best defender I have seen all year. Commanding, good passer, dangerous on set pieces and good with the fans. A real find for the club and could play at a higher level.

Saiko needs to move on .... for the sake of the CMNT. NASL simply isn't a high enough level. Same with Hamilton (who appears the kind that could slide over to RB on a higher level team).

No doubt that is exactly what will happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle Porter going someplace bigger too.

Saiko needs to move on .... for the sake of the CMNT. NASL simply isn't a high enough level. Same with Hamilton (who appears the kind that could slide over to RB on a higher level team).

Mind you, They wouldn't be the first NASL/USL/ALeague players to play for the senior team.

This is just the kind of guy who should have had trial offers from both Canadian MLS teams. 21 years old, when through a pretty good club’s youth system, played a lot for the reserves. Not much difference in this career path than Jakovic and Hainault.

Yes James, I know. But how has that really worked-out for us as a national team? Kids needs to move on to grow.

Finch is correct.

Well, it hasnt always worked out badly and there's no reason of get bent outta shape, essentially, I agree with you. They should be moving on and I have no doubt that they will. It's half a season in and where would these guys be playing if it weren't for the NASL? If you asked them, to a player what this experience in the NASL and with Edmonton has done for their game, I don't think they would say that their time in Edmonton is holding them back... The MLS never gave them a sniff and in some cases, at least one MLS team hindered them from playing for other Canadian NASL sides. It would be great to see these guys finish the season here because it looks like they are having fun, they're having a great season and it seems they are improving every game. They are benefitting bigtime from getting the coaching from Sinkgraven and honestly, biases aside, where else in are they going to get that kind of training and success right now?

Im not sure any of them are quite ready to be stars for our 2014 WCQ but they are on the right path and what's happening for them right now, in Edmonton is helping.

This is just the kind of guy who should have had trial offers from both Canadian MLS teams. 21 years old, when through a pretty good club’s youth system, played a lot for the reserves. Not much difference in this career path than Jakovic and Hainault.

I am sure if Saiko keeps playing the way he is right now, one of 3 Canadian MLS clubs next year will offer him a trial. But I am sure FCE aren't letting Saiko leave for free.

I am sure if Saiko keeps playing the way he is right now, one of 3 Canadian MLS clubs next year will offer him a trial. But I am sure FCE aren't letting Saiko leave for free.

Yeah, but any time a player like him is out of contract with their club it should almost be automatic for CND MLS teams. That's the effects of a low quota, teams aren't proactive in looking for Canadian talent. But good for FCE, I hope they get a nice sum of money for Saiko to support the club.

Well, it hasnt always worked out badly and there's no reason of get bent outta shape, essentially, I agree with you. They should be moving on and I have no doubt that they will. It's half a season in and where would these guys be playing if it weren't for the NASL? If you asked them, to a player what this experience in the NASL and with Edmonton has done for their game, I don't think they would say that their time in Edmonton is holding them back... The MLS never gave them a sniff and in some cases, at least one MLS team hindered them from playing for other Canadian NASL sides. It would be great to see these guys finish the season here because it looks like they are having fun, they're having a great season and it seems they are improving every game. They are benefitting bigtime from getting the coaching from Sinkgraven and honestly, biases aside, where else in are they going to get that kind of training and success right now?

Im not sure any of them are quite ready to be stars for our 2014 WCQ but they are on the right path and what's happening for them right now, in Edmonton is helping.

You've read quite a lot into what I wrote - mostly reading into it what isn't there. Let me clarify;

1. NASL very good for Canadian soccer.

2. NASL not good enough for long-term player development at the national team level.

3. NASL great platform for short-term development giving Canadian lads excellent standard of play when at a younger age prior to moving on to MLS, Europe, Mexico, Japan, South America. (Ie, Matt Lam - who here argues his worthiness for a shot at CMNT if he moves up to J1?).

Yes James, I know. But how has that really worked-out for us as a national team? Kids needs to move on to grow.

Finch is correct.

It might be a good idea to let Saiko be a professional for a full year or two before pressuring him to move on. Before this he'd only played reserves which is a little different from NASL. I think it would be better for him to dominate a league for awhile and adjust to the rigors of North American soccer rather than ride the pine in a higher league. I'd agree with you if he were 25 but he's only 21.

Agreed El Hombre. I never put a timeline on his moving up. He will need to at some point if particularly serious about his CMNT ambitions. If not that ambitious he can stay where he is. Though the point for any soccer player forging a professional career is "the big pay day" so I can't see that happening at FCE.

It might be a good idea to let Saiko be a professional for a full year or two before pressuring him to move on. Before this he'd only played reserves which is a little different from NASL. I think it would be better for him to dominate a league for awhile and adjust to the rigors of North American soccer rather than ride the pine in a higher league. I'd agree with you if he were 25 but he's only 21.

Yes! Let's not get ahead of ourselves FCE has had a great season so far with some standout players.. that doesn't mean everyone should start jumping ship. A lot of these guys (Hamilton and Saiko included) have played as many professional matches as FC Edmonton.. meaning this is just the beginning for them and definitely not time to jump just yet, they are getting minutes and seem to have a good coach let them be for now and after Olympic Qualifiers guys like Porter, Saiko, Rago, Semenets, Surprenant can make a decision.

A move to MLS for Saiko and Hammy would eventually be good. But If you were their agents would you really be looking a the Canadian teams?

Last best hope and all that...?

All three MLS clubs have youth programs, and they're growing rapidly. Soon, it will be quite hard for kids who aren't in those streams young to get a look, when you keep in mind that sheer competitiveness demands most of their players be either American or international.

Both Hamilton and Saiko have the intelligence to play at MLS level but neither is outstanding enough to guarantee a look, let alone a tryout, unfortunately. I think Hamilton, if he put on 25 pounds of muscle, could easily play at a higher level. Not sure about Saiko; reads the field really well but makes some poor decisions sometimes.

Read into it what you will but Hamilton tweeted earlier today about looking for an agent. Not sure if his contract is up, he's just interested in becoming more of a pro player or if he's recieving some interest from other teams. Just seemed to be in line with this conversation

Archived