FC Edmonton coverage

mmd

Why have I yet to see any Highlights on TSN, or The Score, of any of Montreal Impact or FC Edmonton. Edmonton is 2-0. I think that is news worthy.

TSN will mention Montreal Impact results, but not a word on FC Edmonton.

Of all the sports networks, shouldn't TSN promote all the Canadian teams.

I guess we will only begin to see or read anything about FC Edmonton is when they defeat TFC on May 4. I hope FC Edmonton run up the score.

I'm hopeful that having a Toronto game, then a Monteal game less than a week later, will help with the coverage accross Canada. Even if we get our butts handed to us, at least people will be aware. Personally I want to get the Score to put the NASL on their Score Mobile FC app for the iPhone.

It's hard to find coverage of FC Edmonton even on the FCE website. The only match highlights I've seen so far are on Atlanta's site.

I think that's one area where they can easily improve. Start a YouTube channel and throw some content on there to get fans excited and familiar with the club.

It's hard to find coverage of FC Edmonton even on the FCE website. The only match highlights I've seen so far are on Atlanta's site.

I think that's one area where they can easily improve. Start a YouTube channel and throw some content on there to get fans excited and familiar with the club.

In todays day and age if you don't do that you put yourself at an extreme disadvantage, not to mention its FREE there's no excuse no to. I'm really surprised they haven't, that should be at the top of most marketing lists and then you can start splashing the dough on bus/train ads.

You guys have had a great start so far, really excited for the supporters in Edmonton and GREAT to see the Canadian content on the club, I'm gonna find it tough to cheer against them when they play TFC.

They do have a youtube channel actually. Just not very fancy yet. Also, they grabbed the highlights from Atlanta and posted them, as well as the first goal in Fort Lauderdale. I think the club needs to make up their mind and post at one video site, instead of switching back and forth.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/canada/2011/04/18/2447873/nasl-roundup-week-two-fc-edmonton-is-off-to-an-epic

my weekly NASL roundup for Goal.com, with Edmonton in the headline. there you have it :)

After winning its opening game against the Carolina Railhawks, FC Edmonton made it two in a row against the Atlanta Silverbacks courtesy of a stunning long ranged goal from defender Alex Surprenant in the 11th minute.

Appreciate the coverage, but perhaps you should change that to:

Before winning its third game against the Carolina Railhawks, FC Edmonton made it two in a row against the Atlanta Silverbacks courtesy of a stunning long ranged goal from defender Alex Surprenant in the 11th minute.

;)

Not bad coverage today actually. Article in the Edmonton Journal for sure, on the front page of the Sports section. Didn't get a chance to read it completely, but the article is online. Struck me when I skimmed it that it was more of an introduction to the team. Maybe the Journal will actually take them seriously... [EDIT: So I just read the article... Apparently Toronto has been relegated to the NASL, and is the 9th out of a stated 8 teams. Oi. Sometimes I wonder if journalists actually proof-read their articles.]

Also there have been a few more local news stories online in the last few hours about the game tonight. Boxscore News has one about the game tonight, and Metronews out of Ottawa has one about the recent signing of Adrian LeRoy.

On a slightly different topic, the Groupon for Edmonton today is FC Edmonton tickets (2 for 1 for the TFC game) which isn't a real deal (the promo code is still in effect) but gets some publicity out there. So far (this is as of 12:30 Edmonton time, sale goes until Midnight Thursday) there have been 123 groupons sold, meaning that there's going to be another 246 people in the seats. yay small victories!

On a slightly different topic, the Groupon for Edmonton today is FC Edmonton tickets (2 for 1 for the TFC game) which isn't a real deal (the promo code is still in effect) but gets some publicity out there. So far (this is as of 12:30 Edmonton time, sale goes until Midnight Thursday) there have been 123 groupons sold, meaning that there's going to be another 246 people in the seats. yay small victories!

I've seen this done with a couple GTA area OHL teams (who don't always draw great crowds) as well. Very creative marketing by the FCE FO. Wonder if they will keep that up during the season as well?

I don't want to see the team make it a every game thing though, means there's no motivation to pay full price. I was talking to the FO today at the bar though, they were really happy with the results. There is now 250 (making it 500 tickets sold) sold, and the deal goes for another 26 hours. They also told me that the groupon tops out at 500 sales, so the max they will go to is 1000 tickets sold.

Thanks man. I meant to send her a email, just saying how it was nice the Journal was starting to cover FCE but haven't gotten around to it. I will after the game tonight...

I got a nice reply from her as well..

"You're right Greg, it (the math) doesn't add up. I screwed up but I will be writing before the Toronto-Edmonton Nutrilite game so I will be sure to clarify then.

Joanne"

I also saw Terry Jones from the Sun on Twitter (@sunterryjones) last night. He's been mildly supportive as well. There was a bit of back 'n forth between him, Dan Tencer from 630CHED (@dantencer), and a guy named Bruce McCurdy (you on here Bruce?). Tencer was a bit anti-football saying "What's an FC Edmonton?" and "Pro soccer in this city is a cat that has used up its 9 lives if you ask me. Fool me once..." but what do you really expect?

Ah... My wife mentioned that when she was searching for YEG stuff on Twitter this morning. Good to know that there are others out there defending our club.

It'll take some getting used to for some folk, having a pro team in town again, but getting through the exhibition season, and seeing this much support for this season (sponsors for jerseys, professional ads, etc). I know there's a sever rose coloured tint to my glasses, but I really like what the club has done in the new year. I feel way better about the longevity than I did Nov 2010.

Terry Jones article on the Eddies and the WWC bid - http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/04/21/huge-week-for-local-soccer

One thing about Terry Jones' articles... they never fail to point out how much $$$ Fath has spent on the team. I"m not sure the reason for that is to say "geez... this guy's serious" or "geez... this guy's an idiot!" - I suspect a little of both.

I'm not sure Fath has got the most efficient return on his investment, but honestly I don't think it's all that far off. I suspect that's part of the reason for some of the changes in the front office staff, but I've seen quite a few things they've done right lately. Case in point, driving home from work today I ended up stopped at a light next to a bus draped in the "Stand United" slogan and Eddies' colours. Of course, I was so surprised and trying to check it out that I almost ran into the bus... but that's just me. I'm pretty sure it's not a danger to the average fan. ;)

I think the buses and transit is the best money they ever spent on the team. Honestly, the whole ad campaign has been awesome in the last few weeks. Plus the Groupon sold like hot cakes (still don't quite get that reference) and there will be more people in the seats for the TFC game, which will hopefully translate to some more fans coming to Foote. I'm psyched to see the tickets on Monday as well.

So you think he's almost breaking even? I could see it for this year (though the trips will cost him) but the loses from last year will take awhile to recoup in my mind.

I also saw Terry Jones from the Sun on Twitter (@sunterryjones) last night. He's been mildly supportive as well. There was a bit of back 'n forth between him, Dan Tencer from 630CHED (@dantencer), and a guy named Bruce McCurdy (you on here Bruce?).

If Bruce is on here he should bloody well say hi (he and I wrote together on Copper & Blue before he went big time with the Journal and I went small time with Eighty Six Forever). He is an old soccer fan, though, and I've badgered him a couple times to get FC Edmonton tickets.

Been a relative newbie in town. In not sure who the Eddies or the FO should be "smooshing" but IMHO we could do with a Stevie Nash of some sort.

Over and above that.

One of the Guys I work with from the TO office flew in this week for two days. I was winding him up out been here from Toronto a week early, expecting to get confussed look, but guess what?

He knew exactly what I talking about and was genuinly pissed off! He's already got his tickets for the 4th and was annoyed that he couldn't make next wednesday.

If we 'aint pulling up trees at home were certainly shaking the roots in the east.

"Cum on the Eddies!

Archived