Flat Caps!

Michael Crampton

'Caps fans:

I just watched one of your newer promo pieces here:

http://theoffsiderules.blogspot.com/2011/02/stadium-p0rn-nightfall-at-empire-fields.html

Forget the ticket nonsense and supporters group shafting; you've got to start working on your FO to bring back the flat caps everyone's wearing in all those clips from the '70s! It could be your "thing". Bonus points for anyone who grows the shag hair and big bushy chops to go with them.

I've got my Whitecaps toque and scarf from the 1970s, and my "CKNW" bum-warmer / seat. The toque and scarf seem to have a pretty high polyester content, but they've worn fairly well. I got photographed in them at the 86ers/El Paso Patriots game several years ago when Stadnyk had just bought the team and was speculating on changing the club's name back to Whitecaps.

There's a guy who posted on Big Soccer not long ago about his huge library of old NASL match recordings. I just had some of those recording delivered today. I'm watching an old 'Caps-Sounders match from '81. It was the ESPN game of the week. Lots of good memories being brought back. Beardsley's first game with the 'Caps, old Empire, and a young local boy named Paul Nelson starting at left back (Paul's mother and uncle lived across the road from me when I was growing up. Every year, he brought all the kids on our street a team poster signed by the whole team. What I'd give to have kept some of those). I have this overwhelming urge to go back in time and punch McKeachie in the junk, right now.

Archived