TFC Welcomes the New Jersey Galacticos to BMO Field

bgnewf

The red card is being discussed on the BS ref forum:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1523189

It seems like the basis of the RC is DOGSO but was it really DOGSO?

Hmm...interesting discussion. It looked to me like Frei was actually going to cut the cross out anyway or that he definitely had the opportunity to (which is the real tragedy about the play from a TFC perspective) and Nana didn't realize this (and in fact he said afterwards that if Frei had given him a shout he wouldn't have gone up for it) so I would say no. Its not one though that I think they can complain too much about though.

I think Frei presence is the reason why the call (DOGSO) is debatable. It will be interesting to see if it is discussed in the USSF referee week in review.

BTW, it seems from the highlights (I forgot to tape the game) that Frei had a terrible game. We've rarely seen that this season.

Pretty telling about James that he managed to talk about the fact that NYRB bosses possession, that TFC lacked defensive composure or the ability to start attacks, and yet failed to acknowledge the absence of de Guzman.

I thought the same thing when I read the article. I want to like the guy, because it's nice that he takes a stand and obviously he has experience and is knowledgeable, but it's obvious he twists the facts to fit his own agenda. Is he trying to be controversial, and stir things up to increase his views, or does he really watch the game with one eye closed. Some of his points are bang on and others I want to hit him over the head he's being so pig headed.

BTW, it seems from the highlights (I forgot to tape the game) that Frei had a terrible game. We've rarely seen that this season.

Well in addition to the mistake on the 4th goal, there's a school of thought that he should have come out to claim the ball on the 2nd to let his defenders off the hook (one of whom avoided kicking the ball at the last minute to avoid an own goal - but then somewhat blinded his teammate on the play who scored the own goal anyway) since they had to run in on goal with what was a very tricky ball to deal with in a dangerous position coming from a dangerous free kick. Its really irratating though that the free kick never should have been awarded in a million years in the first place, and to have it lead to a goal like that to make it 2-0 just before the half....... ugh!

^I watched the recording of the foul in question and I think it's certainly debatable but not a "million years" egregious decision because I see many similar situations (MLS or higher level), sometimes called, sometimes not. I guess we'll agree to disagree on that one. As for the actual play, I thought Marquez played in a quality ball, swinging away from the goal with good pace. Tough one for any keeper or back four to deal with.

One area where he had more control over was his distribution via throws, but he'll be disappointed with his efforts there: he threw one behind Gargan and another too far in front of Nane (?), both going out for NYRB throw ins.

Archived