Christmas cards

Jeremy

I know that the Voyageurs used to send Christmas cards to canucks abroad... Is this still the case?

With the increasing number of Canadian players playing in Europe, it's probably more and more difficult to send them to everyone, but I think this is an awesome idea and deserves to be considered again if it has ceased. I am willing to help of course.

Old timers can bring me up to date?

Last year's effort can be read about here if you're looking for more info. We'll definitely be doing this again this year.

It's a little early for me to be thinking about Christmas, so I figure this topic will be revisited in earnest sometime around mid-October. No harm in getting things started now though.

Edit: Starting now would be good to help put a design together in time. If someone has any ideas, feel free to post them here. I used Cheeta's design last year. I prefer that to various pictures cobbled together, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the link. This is my first year so I don't know much of what happened last year, but it seemed a bit last-minute. Maybe we can get the regions list updated and get the adresses together so that come December it's all ready to use and send? Should all the cards have the same design? Maybe we could arrange for a picture of the Vs section to be taken at the Peru game this Sept and use this one for the cards... just throwing out ideas. If I have spare time this week I will update the lists with allt he transfers and stuff.

Oh and another question... do you send all the cards to the club? If yes, do you know if the players get them?

Yeah, last year was a bit last minute. It's good to start thinking about this now. The V section from one of the games is a grand idea.

Last year I sent them to: Player Name c/o The Club. No idea if they got them or not. I know some players have responded to the sender though.

Yeah, last year was a bit last minute. It's good to start thinking about this now. The V section from one of the games is a grand idea.

Last year I sent them to: Player Name c/o The Club. No idea if they got them or not. I know some players have responded to the sender though.

Was a little disappointed last that after sending out around 20 + cards last year did not a response from one player...

Great to see this being thought about already! First priority is design. This has been the weakest part of the entire project in the past.

Around mid-october we can start dividing things up. Sending them to player c/o the club should work, as I have only had one returned in the past (and that particular player had already left the club anyway). People always worry about the addresses, but I have yet to be unable to find the address of a given club from their website.

All in all, a *high* estimate puts the total cost at around $120. That may seem like much, but with many volunteers, the price per person goes down quickly. Senders have received return cards and/or club gear in the past, plus IIRC the subject of holiday cards made it on to an interview or two. Also, it is a good way to get some serious voyageur street cred.

Also this is a project that is made a lot easier if those of us living abroad contribute, since the costs are less (looking in the direction of the UK here).

I've known about this project for 10 years and I've never once heard that design work was needed... I always thought we just bought a bunch of dollar store cards and mailed them out "Love, The Voyageurs". I'm more than happy to help create a design for this project... just let me know.

I've known about this project for 10 years and I've never once heard that design work was needed... I always thought we just bought a bunch of dollar store cards and mailed them out "Love, The Voyageurs". I'm more than happy to help create a design for this project... just let me know.

I had Cheeta's design done on a card through Staples and I thought that an original design coupled with professional printing on card stock made it a little more substantial. It cost me about $50 to do UK men and US women, but I think it was worth it.

Senders have received return cards and/or club gear in the past, plus IIRC the subject of holiday cards made it on to an interview or two. Also, it is a good way to get some serious voyageur street cred.

When I helped man the Voyageurs booth at the Soccer convention last January, the cards were one thing that I would mention over and over again and it seemed to get people's attention.

Good to see people stepping up and continuing this fine Voyageur's tradition. I remember getting thanked by a very young Richard Hastings (might have been through his Dad) after the original mail out.

This was done because we ran out of time. Ideally we would have something that included a holiday theme plus some sort of Vs id. The ones with photos that I've used in the past were ok, but I found that it was too crowded and it was difficult to resolve much in a single frame. The cartoon one posted was also great, but it missed something to link it to the Vs, say a logo or something.

Archived