Kevin Harmse

bettermirror

Harmse has signed with Port Coquitlam FC of the Fraser Valley Soccer League. Strictly amateur - unless they pay the coach. ? Although "on par" with Vancouver Metro Soccer League it is, in reality, a step below. However, they have also signed Gordon Chin and recently beat a VMSL side 5-2 in exhibition. Rumour of course came up immediately that Harmse is signing for Whitecaps in MLS in 2011. No suggestion Chin will join him there - obviously.

Two other "top" players have signed for this same Poco team that apparently wants to win a provincial cup this year. At least the FVSL won't be a one-team league anymore with Athletic Club of BC running away with it, and teams like Abbotsford not using their first-teamers until after the college season is done.

Harmse has signed with Port Coquitlam FC of the Fraser Valley Soccer League. Strictly amateur - unless they pay the coach. ? Although "on par" with Vancouver Metro Soccer League it is, in reality, a step below. However, they have also signed Gordon Chin and recently beat a VMSL side 5-2 in exhibition. Rumour of course came up immediately that Harmse is signing for Whitecaps in MLS in 2011. No suggestion Chin will join him there - obviously.

Two other "top" players have signed for this same Poco team that apparently wants to win a provincial cup this year. At least the FVSL won't be a one-team league anymore with Athletic Club of BC running away with it, and teams like Abbotsford not using their first-teamers until after the college season is done.

Seeing him play that will be the level for him...Now they could take Barrett there as well.

I just checked the CSA's website and he's still listed as a player for the MNT. That's a sad reflection of the state of Canadian soccer.

Not really.. it shows the growing strength of Canadian clubs that a 26 year old who has played over 50 games for MLS clubs signs with a regional club. Derek Gaudet played the past couple seasons in Halifax and now he is starting for Portland who are on their way to MLS, also Tyler Rosenlund was playing out in BC before signing for Rochester and being a key player now... Harmse also isn't a NT player and hasn't played for Canada in a while.. im also sure that if he wanted to sign in NASL he could have

Keegan, trust me - it's no reflection on "growing strength" of Canadian clubs. Port Coquitlam is strictly amateur.

I understand that and I know its not like PoCo or going to be a pro club anytime soon but it shows the amount of domestic talent on club teams is growing.. would you not agree?

^No, I don't agree.

It's a "top level" beer league. I like the league. I appreciate it for what it is. There are good players. But strictly amateur. It is no positive reflection on Canadian soccer for Harmse to have "signed" for them.

I definitely wish him well, and I hope it is "tuning up" for a return to MLS with Whitecaps. But the league is not on par with PDL by any stretch. I truly hope it isn't a sign of lack of ambition. Surely he's good enough, for say, League Two in England??? NASL teams would be happy to have him surely as well.

Archived