Home-grown quota for Premier League

Saviola7

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1797582,00.html

Thoughts? I guess if we had any Canadians in the EPL that were over 21, we might be concerned.

Personally I prefer a import tax over quota (and then funnel that money into the youth systems).

I think it's a good idea, but 8 on 25 seems a bit low, I'd set it at 10. Without being very knowledgeable about the EPL and the England NT, I think that one of the reasons they do not fare so well in int'l play is because there is too many foreigners playing in the EPL.

Have they implemented some kind of salary cap yet, like a % of the revenues to be spent on players or something?

It is a great step for the Premier League. It will help the national teams of England Wales Ireland and to a lesser extent Scotland. I don't think it is bad for Canada. David Edgar is considered home-grown, but not Whoregreaves. I don't think it hurts canadian soccer. It all depends where they start their career.

I don't think this will hurt Canada in the short term. It certainly seems that most of the Canadians playing in England went over there when they were quite young, and would end up being considered home-grown.

But long-term I think this does reduce the opportunity for our players to get into the EPL. There are really two parts to this announcement:

1) Maximum 17 non-homegrown players over 21.

2) Maximum 25 players over 21.

As usual, I think Arsene Wenger is overreacting, but his general point is a good one. There will be fewer total jobs for footballers in the EPL from now on, and that will likely trickle on down to the lower leagues as well. Guys like Nana Attakora (rumoured to be moving on to England) will definitely find it harder.

This will futher hurt British football. Quotas are a simplistic solution that have never improved any footballing nation. In general, the best soccer nations have always had excellent domestic leagues. The better the league the better competition that your elite domestic players are exposed to. The problems in England have to do with poor youth development systems resulting in the English players who do play in EPL often being the physical, grinder type of player instead of the technically gifted stars. Filling the EPL with more English plumbers will make their national team even worse, not that I really care about that but just saying.

Archived