D&G Roundup: Riberio's Return, Terminesi's arrival, ESG and B-Movie references

Trident

Terminesi is a good signing if he is fully recovered. Looked very good with Minnesota. Happy that Hemming at least was traded instead of cut. I think he is a decent player but we are just too strong at mid. The Impact press release states that they now have room to hire another mid. Could a moose be on the way to La Belle Province?

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN

Terminesi is a good signing if he is fully recovered. Looked very good with Minnesota. Happy that Hemming at least was traded instead of cut. I think he is a decent player but we are just too strong at mid. The Impact press release states that they now have room to hire another mid. Could a moose be on the way to La Belle Province?

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN

Supposedly the Frenchman trialing has looked very good, at least according to... something..... I .... read...........

It's revolving door week in the NASL. Is there a transfer deadline coming up soon, or something?

Recently opened up.

I' not sure how i'd feel about Moose. I thought he was a def not mid, and as soon as I found out he was a mid, I didnt feel like we should grab him.

We still need to replace Vincello.

Supposedly the Frenchman trialing has looked very good, at least according to... something..... I .... read...........

The player you are reffering to is William N'Kake, he plays in the Portuguese Liga (2nd tier)

http://www.foot-national.com/2959-joueur-football-N-Kake-William.html.

It's been more then a week without news, so I'm doubting that he will be signed.

Recently opened up.

I' not sure how i'd feel about Moose. I thought he was a def not mid, and as soon as I found out he was a mid, I didnt feel like we should grab him.

We still need to replace Vincello.

Moose wouldn't be a bad signing by all means, knows the league very well, and can step in and play.

About Vincello, I thaught about this, and Simon Gatti might be a candidate to replace him. He has to basically steal, the job away from DeRoux while the latter is recovering from injury.

"Tyler had some difficulties adapting to our team. These types of things can happen when a player joins a bigger club," said De Santis. "We gave him an excellent opportunity [???] to find his place with the team starting from training camp, but he was unable to meet our expectations. It's too bad that it didn't work out, but his departure gives us room to hire another midfielder."

I really don't understand what happened with him. If I was Hemming, I'd like to punch NDS in the face after hearing these comments. The guy even stayed on the pitch after games just to make runs. The way NDS deals with his players is totally crap. Every time a personnel move is made, I'm thinking poor newcommer, I hope you make a good first impression when you meet NDS cause if not, you're doomed from the get-go. Capiche Marco Terminesi ?

"Tyler had some difficulties adapting to our team. These types of things can happen when a player joins a bigger club," said De Santis. "We gave him an excellent opportunity [???] to find his place with the team starting from training camp, but he was unable to meet our expectations. It's too bad that it didn't work out, but his departure gives us room to hire another midfielder."

I really don't understand what happened with him. If I was Hemming, I'd like to punch NDS in the face after hearing these comments. The guy even stayed on the pitch after games just to make runs. The way NDS deals with his players is totally crap. Every time a personnel move is made, I'm thinking poor newcommer, I hope you make a good first impression when you meet NDS cause if not, you're doomed from the get-go. Capiche Marco Terminesi ?

Welcome to the wonderful world of professional Soccer. What about the "Maestro" in all this? I'm hoping you don't think that NDS runs the whole show? If this is the case, then Marc Dos Santos is nothing but a glorified puppet.

^Sometimes it's just a question of chemistry. Hemming had some qualities for sure but I guess the Impact coaching staff did not see what they wanted from him. I don’t think there is anything wrong with what they did; it happens in sports all the time. I hope Hemming does well in Austin.

^Sometimes it's just a question of chemistry. Hemming had some qualities for sure but I guess the Impact coaching staff did not see what they wanted from him. I don’t think there is anything wrong with what they did; it happens in sports all the time. I hope Hemming does well in Austin.
I understand what you say (and Mr. Impact) and yes I'm well aware of how it works. I agree MDS has something to do with this, I won't argue with that.

But...

That doesn't mean NDS has to affirm they gave him an excellent opportunity to find his place (sic) at all. I'm not saying he destroyed Hemming's career with his comment, it's just that if I was Hemming and then I read that, I'd say WTF ? There's nothing wrong in releasing him at this point, what's wrong is the way they never gave him a real opportunity to prove himself on the pitch and then say "Tyler had some difficulties adapting to our team". Yes, it begins on the practice field and maybe he didn't do well there, but for me you must give the guy minutes during games to be sure you make the good move when you release him (cf. Guillaume Latendresse).

Of course we heard comments like that from coaches/managers before in every sports, but that's still uncool and unfair. It's business I know but he could have just say: "We parted ways because everyone involved thinks that's the best thing to do for the benefit of everyone. We wish Tyler the best with the Aztex.", but no. Instead he puts all the blame on the player like the organization has nothing to do with the failure and they did everything possible to make him succeed with the club, while we all know that it's totally untrue. If the MTL media was more aware of what's happening with the club, both MDS and NDS would face serious questions about that as he was brought in as one of the major acquisitions this winter. But they both know though there are some questions asked, they don't have permanent spotlights on them.

I'm hoping you don't think that NDS runs the whole show? If this is the case, then Marc Dos Santos is nothing but a glorified puppet.
I hope you don't think NDS doesn't run a whole lot of it ? I'd say MDS is more of a puppet than was Limniatis, hence why he was fired. I'm not that impressed by MDS, but IMO NDS acts like a douchebag since Joey gave him all the powers and won a championship as a manager.

Finally, when he says: "his departure gives us room to hire another midfielder", that's a dumb comment. Like, I fire my accountant, put the blame solely on his shoulders, then say "well, his departure gives us room to hire another accountant". It sounds like a "The Office" scene: (about Michael Scott) To avoid being disciplined for his foolish actions, Michael often resorts to scapegoating employees to cover himself. Although his actions often lead to more problems for his employees, [...]. Looks like NDS has something in common with him !

Seriously, do you drink the water in your glass because you want to make room to put water again in it ?

I hope you don't think NDS doesn't run a whole lot of it ? I'd say MDS is more of a puppet than was Limniatis, hence why he was fired. I'm not that impressed by MDS, but IMO NDS acts like a douchebag since Joey gave him all the powers and won a championship as a manager.

I agree with pretty much all you said but particularly this. Limniatis was no yes man and thus was fired at the very first excuse and far too early in my opinion. I like MDS as a person and would be interested to see what he could do if NDS was not there (as I suspect he is still running the team somewhat), but on the other hand I am not impressed at all by his tactics despite his reputation as a tactician and the players never seem motivated or inspired. Since he took over from Limniatis, we played like crap and snuck in to the playoffs, got hot for a month and won the championship and then have played like crap every since. I am starting to wonder how much MDS had to do with the Championship or whether it was just a case of a team getting hot for a short period.

I am starting to wonder how much MDS had to do with the Championship or whether it was just a case of a team getting hot for a short period.

True that. The heart died when Limniatis left. And in the Montreal History commercials, they show NDS giving a "peptalk" but not Limni yealling at halftime of Santos Laguna saying we need to play better(the good Santos game). Everygame was the most important game in history for him, which is right.

I’m not sure I would say MDS is a puppet. I would rather say him and NDS think along the same lines. I am sure NDS takes a lot of room though. This isn’t based on a whole lot of facts, however.

This Impact team has been running hot and cold for several years; not great in 2007 then getting hot for the CONCACAF run of 2008 but losing in the leagues’ playoffs. Then they were cold last year under Limniatis and got hot in time under MDS to win the playoffs. Part of it is a team’s performance during the season is almost meaningless as long as you qualify for the playoffs.

I am undecided as to what I think of MDS as a coach. Sometimes I really like how the team plays, sometimes I think the team is too slow to adjust to the other teams’ tactics. He is a young coach and still on a learning curve. I hope he stays until the end of 2011 at least, in part because I am very afraid of whom the team would get if he left. I think the next time to look for a coach is when the MLS carrot is pretty close; end of 2011. The way the Impact is run though, we may have to hope that both NDS and MDS grow into their jobs in the MLS.

As to how the Impact played under Limniatis (which, it seems to me, was close to how they played under NDS), Santos Laguna surgically cut that style to pieces in that terrible game two.

I agree with pretty much all you said but particularly this. Limniatis was no yes man and thus was fired at the very first excuse and far too early in my opinion. I like MDS as a person and would be interested to see what he could do if NDS was not there (as I suspect he is still running the team somewhat), but on the other hand I am not impressed at all by his tactics despite his reputation as a tactician and the players never seem motivated or inspired. Since he took over from Limniatis, we played like crap and snuck in to the playoffs, got hot for a month and won the championship and then have played like crap every since. I am starting to wonder how much MDS had to do with the Championship or whether it was just a case of a team getting hot for a short period.

I really find him likeable as a person also, which is too bad because I'm terrified they're planning to take him into the MLS where we'll be slaughtered without clear, creative tactics and good motivation. Although I like his 4-3-3 approach from the last couple of games. That was a good idea.

True that. The heart died when Limniatis left. And in the Montreal History commercials, they show NDS giving a "peptalk" but not Limni yealling at halftime of Santos Laguna saying we need to play better(the good Santos game). Everygame was the most important game in history for him, which is right.

I really find him likeable as a person also, which is too bad because I'm terrified they're planning to take him into the MLS where we'll be slaughtered without clear, creative tactics and good motivation. Although I like his 4-3-3 approach from the last couple of games. That was a good idea.
Exactly what I think, especially what's in bold. I'd like to see MDS run the team under someone else's control though this shouldn't happen for the first time once we're in MLS. If the team was to stay in whatever division 2 there is, I would be more patient with him and wait (probably a great deal of time) for Joey to replace NDS at the helm. But because we all know he's gonna stay AT LEAST till we're in MLS, then it's too bad; they should replace MDS right away, the sooner the better. However, I fear - "I'm terrified" (LOL ! :cool:) they're gonna stick with him if he manages to sneak the team once again into a playoff position this year and the year after.

I’m not sure I would say MDS is a puppet. I would rather say him and NDS think along the same lines.
Think about this for a minute. Add to this: NDS is the one who handed MDS a chance at managerial duties with a pretty good club in the "2nd best" division in NA knowing the "best" one was in sight. Now think again...

This Impact team has been running hot and cold for several years; not great in 2007 then getting hot for the CONCACAF run of 2008 but losing in the leagues’ playoffs. Then they were cold last year under Limniatis and got hot in time under MDS to win the playoffs. Part of it is a team’s performance during the season is almost meaningless as long as you qualify for the playoffs.
True about the hot and cold pattern, but 1) reaching the SF in 2008 and leading after the first game against the eventual champion while going through a horrible schedule due to the CCL run can't be considered a disappointment as Vancouver was the higher seed anyway; 2) man, they were "cold" for 5 games at the beginning of the season after they were "cold" for half a game against a Mexican side playing in their own lair. So Limniatis has been more "hot" than "cold" during his stint (and NEVER cold when talking about NDS' work). You summed it up with your last sentence up there. When MDS got the job, the following 10-15 games weren't really better either.

I hope he stays until the end of 2011 at least, in part because I am very afraid of whom the team would get if he left. I think the next time to look for a coach is when the MLS carrot is pretty close; end of 2011. The way the Impact is run though, we may have to hope that both NDS and MDS grow into their jobs in the MLS.
I disagree with that and certainly hope that what's in bold doesn't happen. As we all see how they play(ed) under MDS (except for about a month), how can you be afraid of who could replace him ? I think he's a nice guy but if you start to clear players that won't make the cut in 2012, why don't you do the same with the managerial staff (NDS on top of the list of course) ?

As to how the Impact played under Limniatis (which, it seems to me, was close to how they played under NDS), Santos Laguna surgically cut that style to pieces in that terrible game two.
Under NDS it was more of a defensive style, but that was OK since we had one of the best goalies at the moment in Sutton and 3 cornerstones in the back line with the likes of Vincello, Gervais & Pizzolitto. As for the CCL run, you pick the worst and drop the best. They had a very satisfying run and we were leading 4-1 after 3 halves against a Mexican side in the KO stage. Again, not that bad. We all agree the 4th one was one too much for the Impact and of course that qualifies as the worst half I've ever seen them play but hey, I think both NDS (antagonized his players) and MDS (unable to get the team high on emotions over a long period of time) wouldn't have been able to accomplish even a part of what JL did during that wonderful 2008 season. JL wasn't God, far from it, but there was something about him that made his players believe and overperform.

how can you be afraid of who could replace him ?

I think the Impact would hire the new coach from the Impact family (JL was also part of the Impact “family”): the choices I see would be:

Nick de Santis back behind the bench

Mauro Biello

Eulafroy, the coach of the academy. He could be a good replacement, but he has something even more important to do than helping the 1st team win: he has to set up the academy in time for MLS.

Given the choices, I don’t see why there should be a change. Perhaps there is a great coach with a good resume and great accomplishments who would be delighted to get a call from the Impact but I doubt it very much. But if they can find one for the entry in MLS they should hire him!

JL wasn't God, far from it, but there was something about him that made his players believe and overperform.

I don’t really have an opinion of John Limniatis as a coach. I agree JL did some great things with the team. I thought he was fired too soon. If a coach has reasonable credentials, and I guess he did since he was hired as a coach by the Impact, he should be given time to prove himself; perhaps a couple of years. To get a new coach every few months or every year seems totally pointless to me. MDS has won a championship. He had also gotten good results with the Academy. This year his team has troubles. I think he should be given more time, the same way I thought Limniatis was fired too soon and should have been given more time. There are things I don’t like about this Impact team, from player motivation to tactical choices made by the coach, but unless a great coach becomes available to the Impact, I would just keep the one we have now.

Archived