TFC v Dallas Pre Game Thoughts and Notes

bgnewf

I'd be amazed if making the playoffs wasn't Preki's top priority. One or both of Preki and Mo Johnston are highly likely to be gone if it doesn't happen.

I think the same.

As for the Dallas goal, Gargan was marking Rodriguez to begin with but was inadvertently "picked" by his own teammate (Santos) during the Dallas movement off the ball prior to the kick, leading to his guy getting a free header.

Like De Vos said during the broadcast, Santos did a good job holding up the ball: he is strong but, unlike OBW, also has better technical skill in this area.

Interesting to read the coaches' comments:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tfc-gives-up-late-equalizer-to-dallas/article1650882/

“We feel that one of the weaknesses for Toronto is their defence may not have the speed to keep up,” Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman said. “We were also wondering what their fitness level is like, because they died in Philadelphia.”

“Some guys we tired toward the end and that's becoming a trend,“ Preki said. “We have to find a solution.”

In seasons past an inability to maintain possession at the back and build possession patiently through the midfield with short passes on the deck was a big part of the problem during the summer months. Always best to let the ball do the work when things get hot and humid. That's improved this season even if it isn't quite at the level Preki had things at Chivas USA. Not sure which coach has been handling the fitness aspect of things (looks like it is Nick Dasovic during warmups but things may be different at training) but that will probably be the first place they look for answers.

In seasons past an inability to maintain possession at the back and build possession patiently through the midfield with short passes on the deck was a big part of the problem during the summer months. Always best to let the ball do the work when things get hot and humid. That's improved this season even if it isn't quite at the level Preki had things at Chivas USA. Not sure which coach has been handling the fitness aspect of things (looks like it is Nick Dasovic during warmups but things may be different at training) but that will probably be the first place they look for answers.

BBTB you have a point there. I never thought about it but it's true that we see TFC too often chasing the ball. And of course, the fact that you are defending and seeking the ball constantly is way more tiring than the ball possession.

Since I posted before that the team looked like the 2009 team that gave up late goals against Philadelphia as well as yesterday's game, I remember now that the game against Philadelphia was sometimes hard to watch and also boring and that's because we saw Philadelphia with the ball possession during 10-15 minutes. That's unacceptable and you will end up for sure burned playing like that.

Can anyone tell me why our new target man DP was sending in the free kick deep in injury time when we were looking for a winner, rather than getting into the box and trying to get a head on the ball to bury it in the net? That was real head scratcher to me.

Mista is a support/withdrawn striker, not a target man.

Can anyone tell me why our new target man DP was sending in the free kick deep in injury time when we were looking for a winner, rather than getting into the box and trying to get a head on the ball to bury it in the net? That was real head scratcher to me.

Because LaBrocca is a terrible set piece taker and needs to be taken out of this role asap.

Archived