"Canada needs a Soccer Identity" - Paul James, The Globe and Mail

fishman

Not a bad article, but how can he talk about a soccer identity and not mention the fans/ culture?

There is so much happening on this front it is amazing.

I refuse to sign up for an account... if someone could mention it in the comments.

Not a bad article.

"But it is not just the players themselves. There is also a prevailing attitude that, in many areas, justifies these player decisions." That's why we need changes so we can change these players attitudes.

"This is why the declaration by Paul Beirne, director of business operations at Toronto FC, that any academy player they sign who is Canadian will have to agree to play for the national team, if deemed good enough, was so powerful. The result of this contribution is already bearing fruit. " This is excelent!!!!!

^This will hurt TFC one day. It may have already, not knowing who passed up the Accies to play elsewhere but the faster the club gets bigger, the better to minimize this damage.

It's not that I don't want the best Canadians to play for my club and country it just happens so rarely when the countries at this level.

I think any negative impact will be very small. They are not excluding non Canadians from the academy. If you are CANADIAN then you have to commit. I just don't think the number of Canadians who are eligible for TFC's academy and are in need of that development are going to leave that on the table for a pipe dream of representing someone else. If anything it's a shrewd PR move for TFC, you're not really at risk of losing anybody and us Voyageurs are fired up at the club doing something to help the program.

Archived