Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

YYC-kudos- if you do open up your "binders are us" company count me in. Sadly any financial audit of ASA at this point will founder as I am certain most documents are not in binders any more. Staff members they fired will no doubt be blamed like Letearneau was for losing them all.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks 1867! I freely admit "Binders" was not my idea, but I absolutely love the concept. Frankly, I think this ought to become a group investment, sort of like the Skillstorm.

So, not to waste any time, here my quick Business Plan:

* Instead of Innes, Kern, Malakoane, du Berger, etc., Class A Shareholders would be KJ, A Coach in AB, OC, Ed, you, me, etc;

* The reaming Class A shares are reserved for true soccer enthusiasts;

* Phonies & various leech species are not eligible;

* In order to get the "Binders" off to a healthy start, a forensic audit is more than warranted - God only knows what kind of skeletons the ASA books are hiding.

Collin and the gang may keep smiling in the face of adversity, but something tells me that is about to become increasingly more difficult - scapegoats are not as readily available as they were in the past!

Telling post OC-Does anyone have a copy of the expense claim for the binders? This was available at the April SGM-it would be good to post this so people dont think we are making things up. Imagine a guy could make a pretty good living with expense claims of this nature. A copy of the skillstorm contract if one actually exists would be nice to see. These are the same guys who dont file bylaw changes at Societies registries so i doubt they took the effort to do up a formal contract. Over $80,000.00 for something no one benefited from paid to a board member for untendered job for a financial executive on the board who had other board members and ASA officials on his prospectus-you would think there had to be an airtight contract right?

Telling post OC-Does anyone have a copy of the expense claim for the binders? This was available at the April SGM-it would be good to post this so people dont think we are making things up. Imagine a guy could make a pretty good living with expense claims of this nature. A copy of the skillstorm contract if one actually exists would be nice to see. These are the same guys who dont file bylaw changes at Societies registries so i doubt they took the effort to do up a formal contract. Over $80,000.00 for something no one benefited from paid to a board member for untendered job for a financial executive on the board who had other board members and ASA officials on his prospectus-you would think there had to be an airtight contract right?

I've never seen any official expense claims but I'm sure it would make for very interesting reading if those files were opened up.

What is Jeff's role on the Charpentier Board? I'm always curious as to how they choose which board member will have his name on the correspondence. I would have thought that a document related to the SGM would have been signed by the most senior member of the board (in this case Mario)

http://www.reformalbertasoccer.com/library/04.12.2010-ResponsetoApr10LetterfromBillings%28duBerger%29.JPG

There are some easily provable flat out lies in that affidavit which will make it very interesting to see how Mr. Innes replies during cross-examination.

In this document Mario states as fact that Chris and Salvi C. were engaged in the misappropriation of ASA funds (bullet point number 5 under section #3

http://www.reformalbertasoccer.com/library/04.06.2010-ASA%28Jan2010%

This means two things to me

1. If legitimate, why weren't the police called to investigate and pursue formal charges?

2. As the police weren't called, I must assume that the allegation (although they did not allege it, they stated it as fact) can't be proven. As such, I must also conclude that the ASA will lose their lawsuit with Salvi on the grounds of defamation.

I really enjoy seeing these original documents. It is much better than taking someone's word for it.

Wasn't one of the allegations against Chris that he incurred expenses without approval of the EFC?

How did Mario and gang obtain funding for a legal opinion from Gowlings about the process to follow in a suspension without a resolution of the EFC (of which Chris was the chair)?

http://www.reformalbertasoccer.com/library/02.24.2010-ResponsetoMembershipc.JPG?attredirects=0&d=1

Just one more question then I think I'm done for a while.

It is my understanding that the CSA instructed both parties than any communications with CSA must be done through legal council. Any communication directly with the CSA leadership was out of bounds.

How is it possible then that Mario and his group have included a CSA contact name and number on many of their press releases?

http://www.awna.com/pressreleases/index.php?dir=PressReleases2010%2FAB_Soccer_Assn%2F

http://sites.google.com/site/reformalbertasoccer/library/07.05.2010-2-ASA_Postpones_Provincial_Tournaments.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

Also, there is a CSA communication that says something about discipline being taken against Chris because he has used the media to get his message out. I have seen no press releases from Chris (I'm not saying there aren't any, but I haven't seen them). Why the double standard? Is it Ok for one side to use the press and not the other? Maybe it is only wrong if you are trying to censor the message.

One document should be posted on the reformalbertasoccer site...it would provide great insight into the long-standing problems with the Board and ASA Staff. I have searched my archives but haven't found it; it was a letter sent to the ASA membership from departed ExDir Vern Gerhardt. If anyone has it, I suggest sending it along for posting.

One document should be posted on the reformalbertasoccer site...it would provide great insight into the long-standing problems with the Board and ASA Staff. I have searched my archives but haven't found it; it was a letter sent to the ASA membership from departed ExDir Vern Gerhardt. If anyone has it, I suggest sending it along for posting.

I would love to see it. I've often wondered what the departed ex-directors and staff have to say about the inner workings of the ASA

I would love to see it. I've often wondered what the departed ex-directors and staff have to say about the inner workings of the ASA

I'll look in my ancient emails, I may have a copy. I know Chris Billings keeps a copy of it in his briefcase for reference. Vern laid out a plan for governance of the ASA which was excellent and does need to be seen again, particularly now.

Attached is Vern Gerhardt's memo to the ASA membership when he resigned as the Executive Director in September 2005.

Analysis of Alberta Soccer Assoc - Executive Directors Closing Remarks (2005-09-01).pdf

Great read! Thanks.

"This history has lead to mistrust between individuals and districts that does not allow directors to work together and make decision for the Association without resistance.

In my opinion, due to the above, the ASA is almost to the point of collapsing."

The guy stone cold called it.

Most other Ex ds have left in difficult circumstances settlements with confidentiality agreemeents or are suing asa currently so you wont get this kind of information like Vern provides. He was spot on. It is amazing the number that Mario and Colin have gone through. That is the way these January board guys like it. Vern Gerhard was an honest guy and said it very well. Too bad more people involved in soccer in Alberta werent as forthright and didnt put the game first. Kudos to you Vern-wherever you are.

The most chilling document in all the EIYSA/ASA/EMSA was a letter from mastraeci saying that CSA executive had "reviewed" its appeal committee and overuled it and that thier ruling in favour of eiysa exceeded its jurisdiction as they were not allowed to deal with "internal ASA matters". This did not follow any appeal process and seemed to make any appeal to CSA from the provinces with respect to a local matter that did not deal with CSA a waste of time. I wish this letter could be posted to the Reform website. It make mastraecis current position that Billings could appeal his suspension to CSA very curious and it shows how these guys work. If they need you-like the anti reform votes of charpentier-then they will bend over backwards to help you-if not-then you are SOL and their rules are there to be broken-including the Appeal process. Everything is political rather than a legal safeguard.

If anyone has this document and perhaps the unanswered letter of EIYSA counsel pointing out the inconsistencies to CSA it would be good to post them.

The most chilling document in all the EIYSA/ASA/EMSA was a letter from mastraeci saying that CSA executive had "reviewed" its appeal committee and overuled it and that thier ruling in favour of eiysa exceeded its jurisdiction as they were not allowed to deal with "internal ASA matters". This did not follow any appeal process and seemed to make any appeal to CSA from the provinces with respect to a local matter that did not deal with CSA a waste of time. I wish this letter could be posted to the Reform website. It make mastraecis current position that Billings could appeal his suspension to CSA very curious and it shows how these guys work. If they need you-like the anti reform votes of charpentier-then they will bend over backwards to help you-if not-then you are SOL and their rules are there to be broken-including the Appeal process. Everything is political rather than a legal safeguard.

If anyone has this document and perhaps the unanswered letter of EIYSA counsel pointing out the inconsistencies to CSA it would be good to post them.

Is this the one you are talking about?

http://sites.google.com/site/reformalbertasoccer/library/documents-2007-1/2007.09.26_csaletter.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

and the EIYSA response

http://sites.google.com/site/reformalbertasoccer/library/documents-2007-1/2007.09.28_eiysalettercsasept28.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

Yes OC those are the exact documents--the term arbitrary and capricious comes to mind when you see how CSA deals with issues. They arent exactly a beacon of sanity for the rest of Canada to follow.

It isn't hard to see why Chris wouldn't submit to such an appeal process.

This and the other documents relating to that dispute are indeed already on the Reform Alberta Website. Also check out Ole Jacobsen's letter to the membership which has been recently posted there as well.

It is interesting that in both instances CSA has told a certain portion of ASA that they have to go to arbitration but in both instances-the CSA and court ruling for eiysa and the April SGM the party that lost-Colin et al-are not actually required to do this in order to maintain their positions. Dont the losers have to apply for arbitration and the winners deign to accompany them? In the topsy turvy world of CSA the winners have to go arbitrate the matter. Of course they ignore the fact that if both parties dont agree to arbitrate then Arbitration doesnt have any effect and in both instances they overule the legal process and deem the losers the winners. We wonder why there is such a call for political reform and eliminating conflict of interest hacks at CSA?

Archived