Will there be a proper presentation of the Cup?

So I was watching the Stanley Cup finals tonight and I was wondering; if there was a 'voyageurs' type group for hockey what would they say? I shall paraphrase what I imagine it would go like.

"Oh my god, they presented the trophy which we made... live, the players were super stoked to receive it, there were photos taken, they will likely smear the pictures with the happy players ecstatic to receive our trophy all over the interwebs and all over the television. But oh my god, how dare they not bend over backwards to mention the story of how the cup was made, how it came to be and list all of the people who made a donation to create it"

I think you all have lost the spirit in which you made the trophy.

When Lord Stanley donated the Cup I would hope that he wasn't concerned about how much media press he would get, and his family (seemingly) hasn't ever considered putting out a media release saying the NHL has denigrated their legacy by not fellating them enough. It's fantastic that the Voyageurs started the trophy in a time when there was a need for it. But those that did so are not more important than the game. Stop acting like whiny children and remember why you made the Voyageurs Cup. Look at the smiles on the faces of guys like Dwayne De Rosario when he wins the cup and that is all the reward you need.

I will suggest you dont see the repeats every year on CBC and other networks about the Cups history and how and why Lord Stanley offered it up....

I suggest you check it out next time... they call in Lord Stanleys cup over and over.. in this case the CSA and the marketer did not call it the Voyaguers Cup a big difference.

I suggest you do some research before you comment other wise you simply come of being .... ill-informed, and most likely unable to apply critical thinking skills.

Here is the feature article on the CSA's Canadian Championship page about the Cup going to Toronto: http://www.canadasoccer.com/championship/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4317 The first sentence reads: Toronto FC closed off the 2010 Nutrilite Canadian Championship by parading the Voyageurs Cup in front of its fans at BMO Field on Wednesday 2 June. The first sentence of the last paragraph reads: As part of the post-match ceremony, Toronto FC captain Dwayne De Rosario accepted the Voyageurs Cup from Canadian Soccer Association president Dr. Dominic Maestracci.

The third article on the page is here: http://www.canadasoccer.com/championship/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4310 and is titled: "Toronto FC welcomes home the Voyageurs Cup". The Voyageurs Cup is mentioned two more times in the article.

I will suggest you dont see the repeats every year on CBC and other networks about the Cups history and how and why Lord Stanley offered it up....

I suggest you check it out next time... they call in Lord Stanleys cup over and over.. in this case the CSA and the marketer did not call it the Voyaguers Cup a big difference.

I suggest you do some research before you comment other wise you simply come of being .... ill-informed, and most likely unable to apply critical thinking skills.

Here is the feature article on the CSA's Canadian Championship page about the Cup going to Toronto: http://www.canadasoccer.com/championship/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4317 The first sentence reads: Toronto FC closed off the 2010 Nutrilite Canadian Championship by parading the Voyageurs Cup in front of its fans at BMO Field on Wednesday 2 June. The first sentence of the last paragraph reads: As part of the post-match ceremony, Toronto FC captain Dwayne De Rosario accepted the Voyageurs Cup from Canadian Soccer Association president Dr. Dominic Maestracci.

The third article on the page is here: http://www.canadasoccer.com/championship/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4310 and is titled: "Toronto FC welcomes home the Voyageurs Cup". The Voyageurs Cup is mentioned two more times in the article.

Trillium, your statement followed by the links to the two articles confuses me. It would seem as though there is acknowledgement. And also, what the CBC does has nothing to do with NHL. In regards to the Voyageurs Cup the Sportsnet would be like CBC in hockey and CSA would be like the NHL in hockey, so whether or not the CBC shows a historical package on the Stanley Cup has bearing to the argument you're presenting. If we are to hold CSA to a certain standard of what they must do in regards to acknowledging the Voyageurs we should only be looking at what they control; they present the trophy which has your name on it, and they include the Voyageurs name in write ups on their website regarding the competition, they also have a history section for the Voyageurs Cup within the Canadian CHampionship section of their website, and they even include a link to the Voyageurs website. So anything that the CSA can control in regards to making sure the Voyageurs name and history is remembered is done by them.

The CSA has no control over whether or not the broadcast partner chooses to acknowledge the trophies history, to expect this is silly I think.

When Gary Bettman presented Johnathon Toews with the Stanley Cup he said ". . . come hoist the Stanley Cup. " That is all.

So if you are to agree that the governing body that controls the Stanley Cup did a proper presentation, then they gave no more credence to the history of their trophy than the CSA could have done during the handing over of the Voyageurs Cup to TFC. Anything else that you see or hear on tv is up to the broadcasters and is irrelevant.

^ By the way John, just want to say good job on getting a replica in the Hall of Fame. That's amazing.

Scarves eh? Think razcle has a few left in his inventory. Awesome idea. Would be happy to pitch in to any scheme which which involves building a V's Shrine in the Hall of Fame.

A Vs Cup replica. A scarf or two. Maybe some snaps of Vs from the various matches over the years (both national and Vs Cup). Make for a nice little display I'd think.

Speaking of snaps, how about a few of the display when you get a chance?

It's too late now but I really feel like we should have done some promoting during the World Cup to get the Voyageurs name out there before World Cup qualifying fever comes around. Maybe get some people hooked during the Peru and Honduras games

Archived