Lansdowne won't work for soccer in Ottawa

Great link and thanks. There's more BS, pathetic city politics, marketing and smoke and mirrors around the whole development than an American invasion. And as Mr. Radnor adeptly points out, a real shortage of soccer participation. Even with the Delta complex implosion the Whitecaps are very, very good at this. It's a shame to see soccer take the same old backseat as always in the city. It's like no one's learned anything in decades.

From the picture I have seen of the stadium, the stands look closer to the pitch than in many stadiums with a running track. The author of this article seems to conveniently forget that an awful lot of European stadiums have running tracks. While I prefer SSS with the pitch near the stands like any soccer fan, the fact is that we are going to have to share a number of stadiums in this country at least until soccer gets far more popular than it is. Even the old Landsdowne was a pretty decent soccer stadium and I think the new one does a pretty decent job of accomodating soccer given that it will be a multi-sport stadium. We can't expect every city in Canada to have an EPL style stadium. I also wonder how many Canadian soccer games the author of this letter has attended because he certainly gives the impression of a Saturday morning EPL fan who doesn't know much about Canadian soccer.

^ agreed. He obviously didn't attend the U-20 World Cup games. I was at a bunch and although not ideal, Landsdowne was a good host. I've traveled through out England watching games and not all the stadiums over there are great. I was at Hillsborough in Sheffield in 1996 when they were still in the EPL and any new stadium at Landsdowne would be a step up from that place. As long as I have a seat, a beer and a game to watch I'm happy.

Archived