Whitecaps vs Minnesota - April 11th

tmcmurph

Well here we go. The kickoff to the last season in second level soccer. I am thinking both Vancouver and Portland will want to make this a season long warm up to the MLS so I think those 2 will be at the top come the end of the season. Of course there will be surprises and you can always count on a few others to field strong teams.

The conditioning advantage for Vancouver over Minnesota was just unbelievable. In a pretty chippy, physical, but high-tempo game, the 'Caps were running the Stars into the grass before an hour had passed.

And guys! Joe Warren is back for Minnesota! Joe Warren! I was so excited to see him I could hardly stand it!

If anyone's interested in a thousand-word recap written while I was waiting for the bus (so you know it's quality), I threw one up at http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com

Good start to the season - remind me again why USL/NASL allows up to 5 substitutions?

I don't know why but I have come to like it. You can put 4 sets of fresh legs on the field and still have an injury sub left if you need it. I have always hoped that FIFA would expand theirs. In the modern game 3 is not enough. Some teams don't even use that but it gives more playing time to more players so it makes sense for a second division league.

Makes the second half very exciting especially when one of the subs is REB :)

Damn can that man fly. You could just see the Minnesota defense back up every time he came at them and that gave room for the second goal to occur.

Yea the conditioning advantage really showed in the second half. Even the announcer was mentioning it. With all the prep work they have done for this season that is what I would have expected.

I don't know why but I have come to like it. You can put 4 sets of fresh legs on the field and still have an injury sub left if you need it. I have always hoped that FIFA would expand theirs. In the modern game 3 is not enough. Some teams don't even use that but it gives more playing time to more players so it makes sense for a second division league.

Makes the second half very exciting especially when one of the subs is REB :)

Damn can that man fly. You could just see the Minnesota defense back up every time he came at them and that gave room for the second goal to occur.

Yea the conditioning advantage really showed in the second half. Even the announcer was mentioning it. With all the prep work they have done for this season that is what I would have expected.

Yeah, I sorta like the 5 sub system, yet always figured they should just have 3 regular subs and 2 emergency subs allowed so you can use all 3 subs without worrying about going to 10 men with an injury.

I also wanted to comment on how I also love how TT prepares the Caps for a season these guys are together months before April. The level he conditions and trains these guys at is second to none in North America. You can se his work ethic paying off as well. I'm hoping he stick around for the first couple MLS years, I think he will as Lenarduzzi made a pretty big move in showing he was committed to TT in dropping Niendorf who was looking like a perfect candidate to take over if TT ever slipped up.

Good start to the season - remind me again why USL/NASL allows up to 5 substitutions?

It was something they had in the USL days because teams would play 2 games in 3 nights. Now that the schedule has been fixed for the most part in this new league, I don't know why they still have it. That many substitutions really breaks up the flow of the game.

Archived