Canucks in Germany - March 2010 Edition

Guest Ed

Preview of this coming weekend games:

Friday

No Canucks in action.

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

Kevin McKenna must have impressed as holding midfielder against Leverkusen as he is slated to play there again on Saturday, as FC Koeln (6W-8D-10L - 26 pts - 14th place) host new league leaders Bayern Munich (15W-7D-2L- 51 pts - 1st place).

Friend and Stalteri in the squad but unlikely to start again as Borussia Moenchengladbach (8W-6D-10L - 30 pts - 12th place) are away to Borussia Dortmund (11W-6D-7L - 39 pts - 5th place).

Bundesliga 2

Adam Straith and Energie Cottbus (7W-7D-10L - 28 pts - 12th place) host Alemannia Aachen (8W-6D-10L - 30 pts - 11th place) in a true six-pointer.

Nik Ledgerwood looks to start again as FSV Frankfurt (5W-7D-12L - 22 pts - 16th place) are away to 1st place FC Kaiserslautern (16W-5D-3L - 53 pts - 1st place). They could do a huge favour to FC St Pauli with a result.

Sunday

Bundesliga 2

FC St Pauli (14W-4D-6L - 46 pts - 3rd place) need to get a win to get back in automatic promotion territory as they are away to 1860 Muenchen (9W-5D-10L - 32 pts - 10th place). Status of JBB game day decision.

I will be at the Betzenberg and hope I can report some good news about Niklas, but not a win for his FSV;-). I hope you understand ED;-)

St. Pauli will get their points for promotion anyhow, so FCK needs another victory on his way back to Bundesliga.

My delayed congratulations for the fantastic wintergames Vancouver hosted and the victory of Team Canada over USA.

I am hoping to see FCK back in the top division as well. A draw would be fine tomorrow. Thanks Frank! Cheers.

No questions from me for Nik. I just hope he keeps starting and helps his team climb up the table. You can say hi from Ed in Calgary if you see him.

JBB is out with an ankle issue and did not make the trip south from Hamburg with his FC St Pauli teammates for Sunday's away match.

Interview with Nik Ledgerwood at the FSV Frankfurt site. Talks about catching the gold medal hockey game and how he is working hard to keep his starting position after only his 5th start of the season last wekend. Looking forward to a big crowd at Fritz-Walter Stadion on Saturday.

ledge4Hp.jpg

Link to Interview

^ Big goal from Nik earning his side a point against the table leaders.

McKenna goes 90 minutes in the back 4 as FC Koeln manage a similar result, 1-1 vs league leaders Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga 1.

Wow whats going on over there? McKenna starting and Koln getting results vs the top 2 teams in back to back weeks. Ledgerwood starting and scoring as his relegation threatened club gets a huge result away and Straith's Cottbus getting a huge win at home

A very solid game by Nik, not only because of his goal. Good game as CB, good positional play, good in tackles, picked up a yellow card.

Frankfurt deserved the draw and had a quiete good chance to score at the end of the game.

Rob Friend came in in minute 63, but could not avoid Gladach´s 3:0 defeat at Dortmund.

Do you have a cristal ball at home Ed?.;-). I guess K´town can live with that point, next week Adam Straight an Cottbus will visit the Betzenberg, then we can not allow another draw;-)

Cheers Ed

Another Great result from our Canadian boys in Cottbus! Sidra and Dosansjh, both go 90 minutes ,

and Porter is subbed in at end of the game. Cottbus 3 Berlin 0. Thank you Thomas Neindorf!

The Whitecaps a are oblivious.......... Sorry that's my feeling.

The best U17 soccer team (by far) on the North American continent during the "2008" UPL soccer season.

And 2 years later he's toast. What's going on???

Good question. Nice results today for Energie Cottbus' U23's.

Not so great with the U19's as they are dumped 3-0, Latendresse-Levesque in goal.

Nik's goal ended a 448 minute streak of K'town not giving up a goal at home. He and Gjasula were the best players for Frankfurt according to sport1.de.

Two articles today out of Moenchengladbach on Friend's lack of starts and his growing frustration. He is under contract till 2012 but has interest from clubs in England, France and Turkey, according to his agent, Dr.Kirsch.

Two articles today out of Moenchengladbach on Friend's lack of starts and his growing frustration. He is under contract till 2012 but has interest from clubs in England, France and Turkey, according to his agent, Dr.Kirsch.

I'm wondering what kind of clubs in England and France are interested in Rob services.

It seems that since his fantastic 2007-08 season in the B2 Rob has had a tough time establishing himself as a constant goalscorer in the B1 (in part due to injuries). Maybe a transfer would be a good move for him.

Friday

No games involving Canucks.

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

Rob Friend is odds on to start after last weekend's scoreless performance as Borussia Moenchengladbach (8W-6D-11L - 30 pts - 12th) face VfL Wolfsburg (9W-7D-9L - 34pts - 10th) at home.

UPDATE: LIVE ON GOLTV - 7:30AM MST.

Kevin McKenna is slated to start in front of the back 4 again (replacing Petit) as FC Koeln (6W-9D-10L - 27 pts - 13th) are away to FSV Mainz 05 (9W-8D-8L - 35 pts - 9th).

Bundesliga 2

Nik Ledgerwood hoping to build from his team leading performance last weekend as FSV Frankfurt (5W-8D-12L - 23 pts - 16th) host Fortuna Dusseldorf (13W-5D-7L - 44 pts - 4th).

Sunday

Bundesliga 2

Adam Straith starting again for Energie Cottbus (8W-7D-10L - 31 pts - 11th) as they face league leaders FC Kaiserslautern (16W-6D-3L - 54 pts - 1st) in K'town.

Jonathan Bourgault-Beaulieu may be in the 18 man squad as FC St Pauli (14W-4D-7L - 46 pts - 3rd) attempt to gain ground on the automatic promotion spots vs Rot Weiss Oberhausen (8W-4D-13L - 28 pts - 14th).

Friend comes in at the start of the 2nd half with Gladbach down 0-1 to Wolfsburg. The lead is now 0-2 after a Dzeko PK (Bradley called for a handball trying to protect his face)...

Final score 0-4 - a pretty pathetic showing by Gladbach. Friend was the most dangerous player for them during his time on the field...

Great result for Nik and Frankfurt today. Also had Massih Wassey on in the last 15 minutes for Schalke reserves as they drop a 1-0 decision to VfL Bochum reserves in the Regional League West, no sign on Gianluca Zavarise for Bochum.

FC St Pauli reserves (JBB) and SV Wilhelmshaven (Riley O'Neill) have their games postponed again.

Big match for FC Energie Cottbus' U19's tomorrow as they take on FC Koeln U19's in the quarter finals of the DFB Pokal for U19's.

I´m not sure if it was a yeelow card, the decission given a penalty in this situation was much to hard.

He had a hard job on his right defense side agianst the probably best left side in the league. Nevertheless Adam did a good job so far.

Eddie Sidra went 90 minutes yesterday in Energie Cottbus' 2-0 win in the Oberliga NordOst/Nord yesterday. No word on lineups but Latendresse-Levesque likely in net for Cottbus' U19's today as they beat FC Koeln in the DFB U19 Pokal today 3-2 in Berlin and are on to the semis.

Friday

Bundesliga 1

Big Rheinland derby on Friday with Borussia Moenchengladbach (8W-6D-12L - 30 pts - 12th) hosting FC Koeln (6W-9D-13L - 27 pts - 13th). Both Rob Friend and Kevin McKenna are expected to start so a Canadian derby to boot.

Bundesliga 2

Another potential Canadian derby with Energie Cottbus (8W-7D-11L - 35 pts -13th) hosting FC St Pauli (13W-5D-8L - 44 pts - 3rd). Adam Straith to start for Cottbus; not sure wheter Jonathan Bourgault-Beaulieu will be with the 18 man St Pauli squad for the trip east.

Sunday

Bundesliga 2

Nik Ledgerwood and FSV Frankfurt (6W-8D-12L - 26 pts - 16th) look to continue their impressive unbeaten streak and finally move out of relegation territory as they are away to Nik's old club 1860 Muenchen (11W-5D-10L - 38 pts - 7th) on Sunday. How sweet would 3 pts be for Nik, who is scheduled to start?

Archived