Canucks in Germany - March 2010 Edition

Guest Ed

Friday

Bundesliga 1

Big Rheinland derby on Friday with Borussia Moenchengladbach (8W-6D-12L - 30 pts - 12th) hosting FC Koeln (6W-9D-13L - 27 pts - 13th). Both Rob Friend and Kevin McKenna are expected to start so a Canadian derby to boot.

No Stalteri available? Injury or just nailed to the press box seat?

^I'm guessing he'll be moving on at season's end?

Moving on to management, maybe?? He seems like the kind of hardworking, determined and bright guy who has a clear plan for his post-football (playing) career.

Can't imagine him desperately hanging onto a career in the lower divisions or lower leabgues like so many others, although he certainly could with his reputation for conditioning. Dare I say it, but...TFC??

In reply to his moving on. You never know. He hasn't been in the first 18 for a while but he is under contract until Jun 2011.

I'd love for him to get involved in Germany myself, starting out working with Thomas Scaaf for instance. But I realize he might want to get his young family back over here. I think he has great potential as a coach, I guy who came up having to prove himself, playing all different positions, seeing the highs and lows. Don't know how his man management would be but most people mellow somewhat :)

^I can't see his employers keeping him on the payroll until the end of next season if on match days he spends most of his time in the stands more often than not, let alone the subs' bench. Regardless of what happens to him or what he chooses to do, I wish him all the best.

Adam Straith starts as expected for visitors Energie Cottbus, Jonathan Bourgault-Beaulieu on the bench for home side FC St Pauli. Scoreless about 10 minutes in.

St. Pauli score early in the 2nd half. Straith is pulled for an attacking option, and JBB remains on the St Pauli bench; final is 1-0 FC St Pauli, pulling them into 2nd place overall.

McKenna is on the bench for FC Koeln, Friend has started for Borussia Moenchengladbach (Stalteri not in the 18 man squad) as it is scoreless in Koeln early in the 1st half.

Pardon the late update, but the FC Koeln vs Borussia Moenchengladbach game ends 1-1, with 'Gladbach going ahead 10 minutes into the 2nd half only to have Koeln draw level with 10 minutes to go. Friend off shortly after that for a late sub and McKenna stays on the Koeln bench.

Friday

Bundesliga 1

No games involving Canucks.

Bundesliga 2

Nik Ledgerwood to start again as FSV Frankfurt (6W-8D-13L - 26 pts - 16th) host FC Union Berlin (9W-9D-9L - 36 pts - 10th). Their loss last weekend ended a 7 game unbeaten streak. Frankfurt needs 3 points to put the pressure on Hansa Rostock and get out of that last relegation spot.

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

Kevin McKenna set to start for the suspended Mohammed for FC Koeln (6W-10D-11L - 28 pts - 13th) as they travel north to take on Hannover 96 (6W-5D-16L- 23 pts -16th). A chance for Koeln to get some points as Hannover have been in terrible shape since the break with only 6 pts from 2 wins.

Bundesliga 2

Kicker has Adam Straith on the bench for Saturday's match with Energie Cottbus (8W-7D-12L - 31 pts - 13th) hosting Arminia Bielefeld (14W-4D-9L - 46 pts*** - 5th). Will update on gameday.

Sunday

Bundesliga 1

Rob Friend set to start for Borussia Moenchengladbach (8W-7D-12L - 31 pts - 12th) as they host Hamburger SV (11W-11D5-L - 44 pts - 6th). Apparently head coach Frontzek has had his run with Coulatti and Bobadilla up front.

Bundesliga 2

FC St Pauli (16W-4D-7L - 52 pts - 3rd) host aforementioned Hansa Rostock (8W-5D-14L - 29 pts - 15th) and could do FSV Frankfurt a favour with a win. JBB may be with the squad.

*** - anyone questioning my math is quite correct. Bielefeld were deducted 4 points overall by the DFB recently for license violations.

Bit of catching up. With the Regional Leagues and lower being snowed out or suffering frozen pitches, lots of games had to be rescheduled from mid-December right thru early March.

In the Regional League Nord, Riley O'Neill played his first game of the new year on Sunday, coming on with 30 minutes left as his SV Wilhelmshaven had a 1-0 win over a Berlin club.

On Wednesday, Riley O'Neill played the full 90 minutes and earned his 3rd Yellow of the season in a 1-0 loss to Wolfsburg's amateur side.

Nik Ledgerwood on the field as FSV Frankfurt conceded an early goal to FC Union Berlin but have got one back; 1-1 at the half.

Nik off with ten minutes to go and his club up 2-1 and that is how it ends. FSV Frankfurt now level with Hansa Rostock on points but still in that playoff relegation spot based on goal difference. Another solid result in the new year.

Nik Ledgerwood on the field as FSV Frankfurt conceded an early goal to FC Union Berlin but have got one back; 1-1 at the half.

Nik off with ten minutes to go and his club up 2-1 and that is how it ends. FSV Frankfurt now level with Hansa Rostock on points but still in that playoff relegation spot based on goal difference. Another solid result in the new year.

There will be no Hansa Fans at St.Pauli on Sunday. Pauli's president Corny Littmann made a deal with the police to only allow 500 away supporters to the stadium. Hansa officials returned all but 7 tickets since they couldn't guarantee a fair distribution. Seven fans will briefly enter the ground to display protest banners before leaving at kick off time.

http://www.fc-hansa.de/index.php?id=132&oid=11642

Big win for FC Koeln as they storm out to a 4-0 lead and defeat Hannover 96 4-1 in Hannover. Kevin McKenna 90 minutes at centre back.

And a big win for Energie Cottbus as well as they beat Arminia Bielefeld 4-1 in Cottbus, Straith going 90 minutes at right back.

Jonathan Bourgault-Beaulieu goes 90 in midfield for FC St Pauli reserves in a 2-1 loss to Tennis Borussia Berlin in the Regional League Nord.

Riley O'Neill goes 90 minutes at striker in a 2-1 loss by SV Wilhelmshaven to Hansa Rostock reserves today, also in the Regional League Nord.

Maycoll Canizales out on 56' in a 3-1 win for Bonner SC over Borussia Moenchengladbach reserves in the Regional League West.

No sign of Massih Wassey for Schalke reserves, Alex Elliott of Mainz 05 reserves and Gianluca Zavarise for VfL Bochum reserves, all in the Regional League West.

Rob Friend started with Matmour up front for Borussia Moenchengladbach. With a goal late in the 1st half, they are ahead 1-0 on Hamburger SV with 25 minutes to play.

FC St Pauli win 2-0 over Rostock, both teams down to 10 men in the 2nd half. JBB not with the squad today.

Archived