Info on Various League Structures

crashvegas

I am looking to compile information on all the various senior men's soccer leagues in all provinces/territories/cities... this hopefully will include league structures (promo/relegation rules and pathways), all cup competitions and qualification for cups, all club info (colours, players, grounds, etc.).

Simply put I need help with all this.

Why, you might ask, would anyone want to know all this?

I could give you a real pedantic, philosophical answer outlining the need for all Canadian Soccer fans to study and support not only their local leagues but all of the other areas in Canada striving to reach their own heights within the framework of the beautiful game.

But my motives are purely recreational: I am looking to create all the amateur/semi-pro leagues at every level in Canada for play in Football Manager 2010... pathetic but true

So with that in mind is there anyone lurking these backlit roads of Canadian footy that would be willing to explain the various provincial, regional, and district leagues and their assorted cup competitions (assuming all provinces have them)?

Thanks

Quebec

1st division, provincial, 10 teams, bottom 2 relegated

2nd division, provincial, 10 teams, top 2 promoted, last one relegated, 2nd last plays barrage

3rd division, interregional, 6 zones, variable number of teams by zone

5 zones have a classic championship all season, zone 6 is for “far regions”, 1 team by region (4 in total) that play the “Coupe des 4” in one week

6 zone champions play de “AA Cup” (2 groups of 3 => groups winner go to the final) ; the final winner promoted to D2, the final loser plays pro/rel barrage against D2 2nd last one

This will give you information on the Canadian Soccer League - a non-amateur league in Ontario (with one team from Quebec):

http://canadiansoccerleague.ca/

Next level down is the Ontario Soccer League - see here for 2009 standings:

http://ontariosl.com/Games.aspx

The hierarchy of divisions in the OSL is as follows:

1) Provincial West / Provincial East

2) South Region / Central Region Central / Central Region East

3) MJ District West / MJ District East

NOTE: There are many other District Leagues across the province at this same Level 3 - but not part of the OSL. I can direct you to these other leagues if you are interested.

The OSL also runs these U-21 divisions:

1) Provincial U-21 West / Provincial U-21 East

2) South Region U-21 / Central Region U-21

Worth noting that levels 1 and 2 mentioned above in reality only really cover the Golden Horseshoe (with participation by the strongest clubs in Hamilton and especially the Niagara peninsula being sporadic at best) and that the level 3 district leagues are the de facto highest level of competition in cities like Windsor, London, Kitchener and Ottawa. Top teams from those cities (maybe not Kitchener as much as the other three) are often able to beat the level 1 OSL teams in the Ontario Cup.

For London:-

http://www.wosl.net/

Windsor:-

http://www.wadsl.org/index.php?module=Standings&action=List&level=57

Ottawa:-

http://portal.ocslonline.ca/Clubs/portals/OCSL/MenPremier.aspx

Kitchener:-

http://www.kdsl.ca/

There are several more that could be found with a bit of googling.

Thanks BBTB and *SHAME* on Bill Spiers for the gaffe. In 2006 St. Anthony's of Ottawa not only won the Provincial Amateur Championship but also entered the Open Canada Cup and beat four straight CSL teams and followed it up with a 2-0 win over USL-1 Toronto Lynx in the final.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Thanks BBTB and *SHAME* on Bill Spiers for the gaffe. In 2006 St. Anthony's of Ottawa not only won the Provincial Amateur Championship but also entered the Open Canada Cup and beat four straight CSL teams and followed it up with a 2-0 win over USL-1 Toronto Lynx in the final.

What gaffe?? I was merely advising crashvegas of the formal structure of men's leagues in Ontario. I made no comment on the relative strengths of those leagues.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Holy Crow! My bad Bill, I just read the qualifying note in your post. Completely apologize - my gaffe entirely.

No problem! And on the subject of those other leagues, I agree entirely that there are some excellent teams out there - particularly in London and Ottawa - that consistently perform well in the Ontario Cup. I know that the OSL would love to have some of those teams in their league but they prefer to stay with their local league. I assume that travel problems are part of the reason.

Thank you all for the information posted so far, I knew I was coming to the right place.

I appreciate the web addresses, however, if you have any extra information about the leagues: for instance are they relegation/promotion leagues? how many teams are rel/promo'd? which if any league do promotion candidates feed into? what are the cup competitions and how do the teams qualify for them? does winning a cup competition qualify a team for another higher level cup?

I've played in the WOSL myself so I'm fairly familiar with leagues and teams around the London area (most recently played in the Middlesex Masters league).

So far haven't found any good info on any New Brunswick senior leagues, or any NFLD senior leagues. As far as actually creating the aforementioned data for FM 2010 for anyone interested I am still in the information compiling mode.

Thanks again for your contributions

quote:Originally posted by crashvegas

Thank you all for the information posted so far, I knew I was coming to the right place.

I appreciate the web addresses, however, if you have any extra information about the leagues: for instance are they relegation/promotion leagues? how many teams are rel/promo'd? which if any league do promotion candidates feed into? what are the cup competitions and how do the teams qualify for them? does winning a cup competition qualify a team for another higher level cup?

I've played in the WOSL myself so I'm fairly familiar with leagues and teams around the London area (most recently played in the Middlesex Masters league).

So far haven't found any good info on any New Brunswick senior leagues, or any NFLD senior leagues. As far as actually creating the aforementioned data for FM 2010 for anyone interested I am still in the information compiling mode.

Thanks again for your contributions

Re:

Here in Prince George there is the North Cariboo Senior Soccer League

http://www.ncssl.com/home.html

There is no Promotion/Relegation officially, but a DivI team was relegated last year to Div II for years of poor results. There is also a Cariboo Cup, but I've never played a game in it....I think it has been on hiatus for a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

In Saskatchewan it's all pretty straight forward. So from top level to lowest level:

1. Premier Soccer League (PSL), no pro/rel, must apply to SSA for entry, must take on a full time manager

2. Men's 2 all the way down to usually 5 or 6, no pro/rel, lots of beer consumed

The highest quality team in the province is by far the U of S Huskies squad. For the PSL, it would be Huskies Alumni, who represented Sask at Club Nationals this time around (and should have done better). I can't seem to find a pic of Alumni's crest, but it's pretty much a copy of TFC's, or at least very similar to it.

Archived