Caps Release 4 more

tmcmurph

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature10230902.aspx

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that they will not exercise the 2010 contract options on goalkeeper Diego, defenders Michael Ndubuisi Onwatuegwu and Marco Reda, as well as striker Aaron Wheeler.

Add to that Arze, Martin & Gbeke announced earlier.

Looks like the Caps are cleaning up. Can't say I'm surprised by any other than Lyle Martin. That was a bit of a surprise.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Well, that answered my question in the other thread. I take it they are planning on keeping Pozniak?

I haven't heard about his future. He might still want to try Europe and is eligible to do so if I remember correctly. They do need to firm up their CB spot.

Another interesting thing is that everyone will be on a single year contract. They can't sign anyone to MLS contracts yet. They have James, Burgess, Knight, Versailles and Toure available for another year and I think they will keep all of them. Nash will be back and Nolly although free says he wants to stay.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I haven't heard about his future. He might still want to try Europe and is eligible to do so if I remember correctly. They do need to firm up their CB spot.

I thought he lost his job at CB but then had to be moved into midfield when injuries mounted? Or was he hurt for awhile? What's your take?

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I thought he lost his job at CB but then had to be moved into midfield when injuries mounted? Or was he hurt for awhile? What's your take?

He was used as a CB and DM this year. I don't know because he bounces around so much. Signed early, released at the end of June, returning in August. The Caps have an option for next year so we wait to see if they make him an offer.

I'm not sure if he was injured or not. So much turnover in the CB position this year it is hard to keep track.

Guest Jeffery S.

We all know that Pejic, Knight, Hirano, have some quality and could be useful. Hirano had a better year last season, but when he is on he can be very good. Knight had a poor series against Impact but has been an interesting player. Pejic the same. Can these guys play competitively at the MLS level? I am not sure.

Where the Whitecaps really need to improve for MLS? Everywhere as I see it. Two solid centre backs and a third as sub. A powerful defensive mid, a playmaker (Nash could play a role), and some attacking mids. A killer striker in the MLS style, meaning either fast and technical, a bit Latin, or pure power (like Gbeke but better, like Dichio but healthier). As I see it only Nolly and maybe Knight, Nash, could start for an MLS Caps. If you had some more veterans in there, you could play Toure, or Gage. Moose and Chin could also start, but only if you had players who complement them, and both seem to be short of a full 90 minutes.

I would think that Nolly realizes he will be their keeper when they make the jump to MLS. He is a quality keeper, and I fully expect him to remain with the squad when they make the jump.

Hirano is another quality player who I expect to see staying with the squad when they move to MLS. He can send deadly crosses into the box when needed, only one of his various talents on the pitch.

Martin seemed reckless at times (of course, I've only managed to catch a handful of Caps matches throughout the season and playoffs, so this might be a load of horse). He has the athleticism, but I think he'd be easily outplayed in MLS.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

ummmm...Hirano is 35. How much longer do people think he will be able to to play at a decent level? I can't see Chin as a MLSer based on lack of quality and Nash must be done after next year, no?

Yea I know Hirano is getting old but he plays very smart and is a great aerial passer. With everyone on a 1 year contract next year the best players might go to Europe to try their skills out which would leave an expansion draft and scouting to fill most positions for Vancouver.

If you were Haber, REB, Orgill, Knight or Toure (5 I think are clearly capable of MLS level play) what would you do? Sign a 5 year deal with MLS or try your skills in Europe and if things don't work out you always have MLS as a fall back plan?

There are others who are close to that level and we'll have to see how they develop next year. I can see the Caps looking at all positions.

I could see Nash being there in some playing capacity for the inaugural season, health permitting, and then retire.

Pozniak is hampered by his jack-of-all-trades-yet-master-of-none CV, and I think it's going to affect his shelf life and aspirations much sooner than some may think.

Archived