High-speed train between Toronto and Montreal?

If they even just sorted out the existing track used by Via rail and brought it up to modern standards it could make a big difference given the technology exists to run twice as fast as they currently do in the Windsor-Quebec corridor without spending billions on bullet trains. London to Toronto via Brantford is run with 1950s level technology and is no quicker than the Greyhound bus up the 401, while going via Kitchener is like traveling in a third world country. The big problem is that freight still takes priority over passenger services in North America unlike in Europe.

quote:Originally posted by brownbear

I'm curious about your rationale for this statement. I'm not suggesting that you're wrong, only want to know on what you base your claim.

Thanks,

bb

Not sure of the exact numbers but its quite apparent when you live/travel/work in Alberta. The highway (is it the yellowhead, i forget) between Edmonton - Calgary is teeming with vehicles. Single passenger vehicles. It's a 3 hour commute and they have often compared the population density of that corridor to the "golden triangle" in southern Ontario. There are easily 2.5 million people living along the Calgary - Edmonton corridor. Companies doing business in Alberta are very keen to bolster their public image (in light of their doing business in the oilsands) and so you often see oil companies funding museums and art galleries, etc. etc. They, along with the provincial government could easily ante up for a HST that would link the two cities. There is A LOT less red tape out west compared to Ontario. Ontario, especially Ottawa, involves too many levels of government and too much bureaucracy. In Alberta, they get 'er done. I would easily predict a Calgary/Edmonton HST line before a QC - Windsor one.

Why is this important to football in Canada? Because it only enhances the experience for supporters' clubs who can meet at a pub in downtown Toronto, hop on a HST at Union Station, all the while singing and chanting, and a couple hours later arrive in downtown Montreal, filling the streets with red and white. (or vice versa - Ultras to downtown Toronto).

^I'll be honest I have little respect for Urban Planners in Canada although that might be unfair. Placing blame where it shouldn't be. But I was under the impression that Toronto's public transit system was amongst one of the best, and most utilized, in the Western Hemisphere.

Couple thoughts:

-As a former Porter employee, I can confirm that the emergence of such an attractive new option for Toronto-Montreal would cause serious problems for the airline. YTZ-YUL has emerged as just about Porter's most important route. There is also potential expnsion of YTZ-Windsor, and this would probably eliminate any hope of that.

- Despite my obvious attachment to Porter, I think Canada stands to gain a lot from both Windsor-Quebec and Calgary-Edmonton rail services. Those in Ontario will know the strain on the 401 and there is no doubting the environmental superirority of trains. I would be interested to see where they would try a price this high-speed market into the equation. VIA is already dreadfully overpriced and airlines are already undercutting them at times.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

Couple thoughts:

-As a former Porter employee, I can confirm that the emergence of such an attractive new option for Toronto-Montreal would cause serious problems for the airline. YTZ-YUL has emerged as just about Porter's most important route. There is also potential expnsion of YTZ-Windsor, and this would probably eliminate any hope of that.

- Despite my obvious attachment to Porter, I think Canada stands to gain a lot from both Windsor-Quebec and Calgary-Edmonton rail services. Those in Ontario will know the strain on the 401 and there is no doubting the environmental superirority of trains. I would be interested to see where they would try a price this high-speed market into the equation. VIA is already dreadfully overpriced and airlines are already undercutting them at times.

I take both VIA Rail and Porter when I go to Toronto. I'll disagree on one thing with the pricing though. If I want to take the 5:30 or 7 PM flight to Ottawa on Porter, I'm paying sometimes double what I would pay on VIA 1 and that's why I'll sit on a train for 4:45 (or last thursday, 5 hrs 35 mins!!!). Supply and demand I guess, and also threshold for pain.

quote:Originally posted by ottawaguy2009

Not sure of the exact numbers but its quite apparent when you live/travel/work in Alberta. The highway (is it the yellowhead, i forget) between Edmonton - Calgary is teeming with vehicles. Single passenger vehicles. It's a 3 hour commute and they have often compared the population density of that corridor to the "golden triangle" in southern Ontario. There are easily 2.5 million people living along the Calgary - Edmonton corridor. Companies doing business in Alberta are very keen to bolster their public image (in light of their doing business in the oilsands) and so you often see oil companies funding museums and art galleries, etc. etc. They, along with the provincial government could easily ante up for a HST that would link the two cities. There is A LOT less red tape out west compared to Ontario. Ontario, especially Ottawa, involves too many levels of government and too much bureaucracy. In Alberta, they get 'er done. I would easily predict a Calgary/Edmonton HST line before a QC - Windsor one.

Why is this important to football in Canada? Because it only enhances the experience for supporters' clubs who can meet at a pub in downtown Toronto, hop on a HST at Union Station, all the while singing and chanting, and a couple hours later arrive in downtown Montreal, filling the streets with red and white. (or vice versa - Ultras to downtown Toronto).

I would assume an expert like yourself might be able to distinguish between the Yellowhead and a major north/south artery.

#1. 'Teeming with vehicles'. Hardly, maybe on summer Friday nights and Sunday evenings. But still nothing compared to the 401.

#2. 3 hour commute? Nobody 'commutes' between Edmonton and Calgary on a daily basis. Are you daft?

#3. 1.5 million in the corridor? Well, 1 million in Edmonton, slighter more in Calgary - that would be at either end of the 'corridor'. Farms in between (and famous Red Deer town, under 100K).

#4. Money is tight everywhere.

All that aside, a Calgary Edmonton HST would be a good thing.

Archived