N.E. Revs expected to relocate to Hartford

Luis_Rancagua

Again this is only a rumor...

----------------------

RELOCATION: More Information About Mystery Club to be Relocated Revealed

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Given new information emailed to us, this stadium may NOT be the location of a relocated Revs.

Our anonymous informant who tipped us off to the whole mystery club that might be relocating has sent us another email with further details:

other new info on sale & relocation of original mls franchise. new owner regards mls better buy-in than new pro grid league. initial $$$ greater but so is stability & growth potential. sale announced by late first quarter 2009. team plays 2009 mls season present location w/ usoc & superliga matches new location. full move for 2010. partnership between new owner & govt to renovate 20,000 seat facility as sss possibly part of long term plan in new location.

Many have suggested the club in question is the New England Revolution. They would be sold to the Hartford, CT based Northlands Investment Group. Northlands manages both Rentschler Field & the Hartford Civic Center along with AEG & wanted a United Football League team in Rentschler. They've also proposed building a $250 million arena in order to land a new NHL team so they seemed like a decent fit to the rumor riddle. However one detail from the information above would seem to rule out Rentschler Field as that facility currently seats 40,000 if read one way. If read another it could suggest a move to Rentschler Field with a move to a 20,000 seat facility later. So the mystery continues....

db_02RentschlerField023.jpg

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/12/relocation-more-information-about.html

quote:Originally posted by snake

its amazing that the krafts have not gone out and signed a portuguese player ala figo,gomes,costa.

there are 600.000 portuguese ex-pats in the boston area

Snake, after being in that particular area of Boston during 2 summers ago, I have now realised that there is a strong Portuguese community in that part of the world...It has also been my curiosity as to why the N.E. Revs have not appealed to this community that tends to be very pro-soccer.

I don't even know where to start on this one. The only positive i see from it is that cheapo Bob Kraft will be out of the league. I can't see this being financially viable in the long-term or a good thing for MLS.

Boston is a major market, MLS should be there. The problem is that they won't actually bite the bullet and get a stadium in a decent location. Driving to the middle of nowhere works for an NFL team, it's not going to draw people to soccer.

quote:Originally posted by snake

its amazing that the krafts have not gone out and signed a portuguese player ala figo,gomes,costa.

there are 600.000 portuguese ex-pats in the boston area

Have any of those players ever expressed serious interest in coming to MLS?

Those ex-pat figures are usually exaggerated too to include children of expats, who of course would likely be more interested in seeing LeBron James than Luis Figo. I think going to a market that doesn't have another major sports team is a good move.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Those ex-pat figures are usually exaggerated too to include children of expats, who of course would likely be more interested in seeing LeBron James than Luis Figo.

Not sure how much of an exaggeration that would be based on the Portuguese people I've met over the years. They often seem to take their Benfica, Porto and Sporting stuff seriously even when born in Canada and in general terms loyalties even two or three generations distant seem to surface pretty strongly during World Cups. With a big enough star from that sort of context the appeal can extend well beyond the first generation.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Not sure how much of an exaggeration that would be based on the Portuguese people I've met over the years. They often seem to take their Benfica, Porto and Sporting stuff seriously even when born in Canada and in general terms loyalties even two or three generations distant seem to surface pretty strongly during World Cups. With a big enough star from that sort of context the appeal can extend well beyond the first generation.

But are they fans of the game?

NOTMOVING: Revs to Stay Put According to Chief Operating Officer

Friday, December 19, 2008

The more things change for other teams, the more they stay the same for the New England Revolution.

Consider the New England Revolution to CT rumor debunked. At least if you believe the Revolution's COO, Brian Bilello, the Revs are not moving from Gillette stadium any time soon.

In a Q&A session with New England Revolution Fans he had this to say:

Stadium

I think many of you have now seen to study that was released by the city of Somerville related to the Inner Belt area and a possible stadium at that site. As far as an update or a timeline, there isn’t anything hard that I have to share at this time.

This process is not ours, it is the city of Somerville’s, and we will continue to follow their lead in terms of how things will progress. The city and its residents need to determine what is best for Somerville, and if they decide that a soccer stadium is something that they would like to explore further, we will be very enthusiastic to do so.

However, this is not a process that we are going to proactively drive or try to apply pressure to, as we do not feel that is either appropriate or helpful to the city and its residents.

In terms of supporter input, I have said and will reiterate that we will be seeking thoughts and feedback at the appropriate time.

Potential move?

I believe I have seen the rumor that people are inquiring about. I’m not sure where that came from, but I assure you that it has nothing to do with the New England Revolution.

EDITORS NOTE: To refresh your memory, the rumor that Bilello is talking about was this one published here on MLSR. Keep in mind the rumor never mentioned the Revs and Bilello does not discount the rumor but simply says it has nothing to do with the New England Revolution. So the mystery continues...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/12/notmoving-revs-to-stay-put-according-to.html

Archived