JDG for DP?

tmcmurph

From another thread

----------------------------------------------

Long story short: club owes him money, doesn't sound like he will come back unless they pay him.

Guzman says Deportivo owes him $1.2M

Player says money owed comes from signing bonuses, image rights and appearance fees

Article Comments (2) PETER MALLETT

Globe and Mail Update

November 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM EST

Canadian Julian de Guzman says financially troubled La Liga club Deportivo La Coruna owes him more than $1.2-million, and the Toronto-born midfielder hinted on Tuesday his days in the northern Spanish city may be numbered.

---------------------------------------------

So TFC might be able to get him transfer fee free?

Please, please, please, please!

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

So TFC might be able to get him transfer fee free?

Please, please, please, please!

ain't gonna happen. he's not going on a free. The only hope in hell that he has of claiming those unpaid bonuses is if Depor gets something for him on the transfer market (i.e. he goes for 3 million euros and they kick him back 800,000 euro to cover what they owe and keep 2 million or so for themselves to help deal with their debts)

Guest Jeffery S.

BTW Depor won't get funding from the regional government, I don't think, unless they claim naming rights on the stadium at Riazor Beach and put some government promotional brand name on it, like related to fishing or to the Camino de Santiago.

For a long time Depor president Augusto César Lendoiro was leader of the Partido Popular, the conservative party, who have always been in opposition in Coruña. Now not only the city but the region is left-leaning, and though he left politics and is a paid president, he is not in a position to ask for favours. For years the suspicion was that Galician teams funded their signings with laundered money from the drug trade, as Galicia is a point of entry for cocaine from S. America to Europe, perhaps one of the most important. Now this seems to have dried up, at least there are no flashy signings and the money is modest, so that explains the money problem. The other thing is that Galicia is relatively poor and Coruña does not even fill the stadium, not even for Barça or Madrid, the support for football is relatively weak.

Another factor is that Celta Vigo would oppose them getting anything, a question of rivalry. And traditionally and historically Vigo is a more important football town and club than Coruña.

So I think they won't have a way to solve their money problems, and may be forced to sell someone. They also need to offload players, they have 4 competent keepers right now for example, which weighs down the salary budget.

Anyone else think that TFC could/would go after a player such as Tam Nsaliwa? I was just thinking about some Canadians playing overseas, and I thought of his situation.

Perhaps things may change as AEK are changing their boss to Bajevic (or so I read today), but I have been wondering if such a move would be considered.

It would be good for both parties involved (or at least I like to think it would!). Tam could play back "home" and hopefully regain his Canadian citizenship, and TFC get a quality player who is a Canadian international.

Just a little thought I had recently, and it reminded me of it when I saw the AEK manager was being replaced.

^So I have a Greek friend who claims that Tam's fall from the first team at AEK is related to how he spent his summer. Apparently he came into camp totally out of shape (and apologized to the fans for this) and has been unable to regain his form. As far as TFC is concerned, maybe what he needs is a change of scenery, but I'd imagine a disciplined environment would be best for him.

On the other hand, maybe he can reapply for Canadian citizenship if he plays at TFC for long enough.

Recall seeing a figure mentioned on him of USD 2.9M in the last week or so & recall thinking, hey, that seems pretty cheap for JDG to me.

Granted, that's a lot for TFC, buy him & there goes our Mo Edu money, & I was kind of looking forward to the Mo Edu Memorial Natural Grass Surface, but on the other hand... JDG... I'm just sayin'...

Swapping Edu for Julian at DM would be a pretty darn good trade, wouldn't it, even if we would pick up some salary.

I am not sure if he would go back to North America, but his AEK career is really on the rocks.

Poor Tam hasn’t played a meaningful game for AEK all season. He is behind Peletieri, Basinas and Kafes in AEK’s pecking order.

It has been a really bad season for AEK. When coach Donis was brought in as manager this summer. He was suppose to bring a new look to AEK. Club management had let some big names leave before the season. But added some talent to their roster as well. Their biggest signing was Basinas, but he has not played well. In fact the whole AEK team has been painful to watch. It is very sad because last year they were the exact opposite.

I guess it is conceivable that Tam might get one last shot, because Bagevic may want to shake things up a bit. Tam certainly can’t be blamed for AEK’s form this season…since he hasn’t played.

Archived