VMSL 2008/09

analyst

All Premier division teams in the VMSL have played 12 games and Metro Ford is in 1st place followed by West Vancouver and Columbus.

This year, each premier division game is close and entertaining as the league has reduced the number of premier teams from 14 to 12.

Last night Serbia and Croatia played, for the first time in 4 years. Croatia won 1-0. There were around 1,000 fans, with an admission price of $10. It was the largest crowd at a soccer game in years, other than the Whitecaps. The Serbs and Croats stood in different sections of the stands and cheered their teams and sang songs. Occasionally they hurled insults at one another.

Serbia vs Croatia draw well in Toronto too in the CSL. Lots of people on this board thinks the CSL shouldn't have an International Division and all teams should be bland names like Brampton vs North York (hmm those names are already taken). Some of the best players from the Serb and Croatia teams in Toronto could split off and reform the Caribbean Selects if that team ever came back.

I thought there was around 1300-1400ppl there roughly equal 50/50. I would mention that althou there were no incidents I think there was definitely not enough security. There were what 12-15Genesis guys, 2uniformed cops and a few plain clothes ones in each section. Insults were thrown from 1-90min...being polish I did catch about 40% which was the "tamed" version. It did appear there was someone taking away by ambulance after Croatia scored people rushed toward the pitch and someone might have been trampled. There was a TV crew there. Were they from VMSL, RCMP, Croat, Serb or simple TV? Richard since you are in this business what are the cost of renting Percy Stadium? And would be getting a liquor license hard or too dangerous? Now seeing the atmosphere I wonder why the Caps/Impact don't allow their fans to bring in transparents, flags and other......

Intl division.....I am against it too since even thou it attracts large crowds it splits in a way the leagues. I think having "non-political" names would be a first step. Merging the two CSL divisions the 2nd.

Not a dumb question...

The Problem is that BC (That play the season mirroring that of Europe, or September to March/April) has long established leagues (VISL, FVSL and the aforementioned VMSL)with other divisions that help support or prop up the Premier Divisions. AFAIK the VISL nor the FVSL have 'Cat' divisions any more, and only the VMSL has 'Cat' Divisions now. If you took the cream of the crop from the Premier divisions, you would have to move the entire works to the Spring to Fall season like the rest of the Country.

Also logisitically there is an issue, BC is pretty big, and the Ferry costs and other expenditures could block the thing being at least break even, nevermind profitable.

The best model anyone has been able to come up with is a sort of mirror model to the Sei pro lacrosse league out here, the WLA. However, they don't sell many tickets, and generally just get community media covering the games, and thus it is not promoted very well.

Dont' listen to JR, he plays FVSL Div 2 which is one step up from California Kickball.

There have been prelim meetings btwn the various leagues in exploring a spring/summer schedule for the Premier divisions.

A huge hurdle in these parts in moving everything to spring/summer has to do with fields - they are already assigned to other sports/usergroups. Like California Kickball :)

Guest Jeffery S.

For someone who has tried to follow for years and has never really got it, interesting thread.

Given the possible following, mostly ethnic but also by municipality, have they ever considered setting up a sort of short elite league with paying public? Like the final round in Scotland or something like that?

The Pacific Coast Soccer League was established in 1930 and has operated almost continuously ever since. In 1973 the PCSL, the Mainland Senior Soccer League and the Intercity Junior League merged to form the BC Senior Soccer League, which in due course became what is today the Vancouver Metro Soccer League (VMSL). Shortly thereafter however the Pacific Coast Soccer league was reconstituted as a separate entity offering a summer season, and has continued to thrive as an independent, inter-city crossborder league ever since, offering premier and reserve divisions for men and women. For more PCSL and BC soccer history see the PCSL website www.pcsl.org.

In terms of competitiveness, all the leagues in BC draw from the same pool of players but there are far fewer PCSL premier teams in the VMSL catchment area than there are in the VMSL premier division. People should attend games in both leagues and draw their own conclusions.

^ thanks for filling in some blanks Richard....I still don't know why there can't simply be 1 elite senior league, running 9-10 months per year. This is the dream of any senior league in Canada and only BC has the climate to allow it to exist.

Maybe I don't understand the politics involved.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Dont' listen to JR, he plays FVSL Div 2 which is one step up from California Kickball.

There have been prelim meetings btwn the various leagues in exploring a spring/summer schedule for the Premier divisions.

A huge hurdle in these parts in moving everything to spring/summer has to do with fields - they are already assigned to other sports/usergroups. Like California Kickball :)

Ya basta! [:P]

Like Regs said, and I said previously...the entire playing season (including all senior soccer-regardless of Division Cali-Kickball to Premier) would have to move. As it sits now, usually the cities allocations that take place for the fields, for the "Fall Winter" Season is like approx 90% for Soccer (All ages and genders) with the rest going to Rugby, Lacrosse, Football of the pointy variety, and other stuff on a much much smaller scale like Kabaddi, Hurling and other obscure stuff.

In the "Spring/Summer" allocations soccer gets hit with a massive stick by Baseball/Softball, and a great number of the grass inventories are taken off line for regeneration and improvements.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

The VMSL weekly game report is showing that Keegan Ayre is back playing in the VMSL. We can take his name off the Voyageurs Playing Abroad list.

Would a kid like this, with International and European (all be it limited) experience not be good enough for the Caps?

Keegan used to play for Columbus in the VMSL. Today he suited up for Metro Ford against his former team. His new team lost 3-0. Keegan played well, he played centre mid and ran a lot. He made a couple nice passes, but he demonstrated a weak first touch on two occasions. Maybe I expected too much of him.

Three Columbus attackers were more impressive today, Tiernan King, Ylya Malek and Rizal Ganief. Ganief is the league leading scorer.

quote:Originally posted by snake

how old is tiernan king?i remember him from the 86er days.

He played on the same SFU team as my youngest son for a couple of years so my guess he is probably around 30 now so still has a good few years of playing left in him if he so wishes. I've always liked Tiarnan as a player.

Archived