CSL Week 18

Rocket Robin

Result of the Friday September 12th, 2008 CSL game between Toronto Croatia and London City played at The Hershey Centre in Mississauga at 8:00pm.

8 min…City Bryan Aberlerm GOAL…City Roberto Molina cornerkick from right has Aberlerm head 3 yarder in crowd of players in center into top left corner of net behind goalie Marko Culjak.

44 min…TC Tihomir Maletic draws Penalty kick call from referee Yusri Rudolf when he overruns ball in City box but goalie from his knees pulls Maletic down when he cuts back to get to ball. Goalie Matt Baca gets a Yellow card.

45 min…Croatia Hayden Fitzwilliams GOAL…Fitzwilliams blasts Penalty kick into top left corner of net with goalie flying low to left.

52 min…TC Tihomir Maletic GOAL…Hayden Fitzwilliams sends in low cross from 10 yards along right end line and Maletic deflects 1 yarder on right post into net.

63 min…TC Ante Brkic GOAL…TC Jonatan Bustamante cornerkick from right has Brkic in crowd of players in center of box head 3 yarder inside left post.

Final Score:…..Toronto Croatia……..3……….London City……..1……….

Attendance was about 80 on this mild, calm night although I had to drive through a few isolated patches of rain to get here. Maybe fans are waiting for the showdown game against Serbian White Eagles on Sunday evening at Lamport Stadium.

Toronto Croatia goalie Marko Culjak was the same net minder who was in the championship final last year. I hadn’t seen him for quite awhile but he said he’s mostly been a backup this year to Roy Blanche. City goalie Matt Baca had to be sharp with some point blank saves or the score could have been much higher. Croatia players Tihomir Maletic, Hayden Fitzwilliams, and Mario Pupic all had good chances but had their shots saved or off target.

I was surprised to see the City coaching staff of Sean Gauss, Ryan Gauss, and their father Harry Paul Gauss for this game. I said to Harry something like I thought I’d never see him again and he joked back something like “I didn’t I would either”. He has survived a serious cancer scare.

City still hasn’t won this season but the team put in a good effort and looked like they had a chance in the first half. At least they’re not phoning it in like strugglers Durham Flames and Durham Storm and North York Talons from years ago.

The City goal and the final Croatia goal were almost identical.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Sunday September 14th, 2008 CSL game between North York Astros and Italia Shooters played at Esther Shiner Stadium in North York at 3:00pm.

18 min…Astros Selvin Lammie GOAL…Lemmie on left run holds off Shooters Rick Titus and sharp angle 15 yard shot that’s into top right corner of net with goalie Camilo Benzi guarding left post.

20 min…Shooters Luca Zucal GOAL…Shooters Richard Assante pass from 20 yards in middle is over to Zucal who steps around defender and kicks 7 yarder around goalie Joshua Lemos to right side of net.

45 min…Shooters RED card…Richard Assante earns the sending off directly from referee Justin Tasev for a two foot sliding tackle on Astros Johnathan Hurtis at Astros 45 yard line. Assante tried to block Hurtis’ kick before he got to pass so it wasn’t a tackle from behind.

86 min…Astros Go Nagaoka GOAL…Astros Johnathan Hurtis gets Astros goalie’s 80 yard freekick and on right crosses to left for charging Nagaoka to kick in 3 yarder to open side of net.

89 min…Shooters RED card…Gerald Ladiyou earns this ejection directly for either a push or elbow in the Astros box while waiting for a Shooters cornerkick.

Final Score:………North York Astros………2………..Italia Shooters………1………….

Attendance was about 250 people with lots of children’s’ teams and their parents in attendance. They played mini games at halftime and acted as ball retrievers. A second week in a row with boosts to the normal attendances from earlier this year. This was a hot day with a win from the west.

The Shooters didn’t look like being down a player for the entire second half bothered them as they had more chances to score than the Astros. Selvin Lemmie got sent in some through balls but was usually called offside.

Both goalies had to be sharp to keep the score down. Joshua Lemos is supposedly the sixth or seventh goalie the Astros have used this year.

I was surprised to see Rick Titus starting as a defender for the Shooters. He wasn’t at the MLS Toronto FC game yesterday but was scheduled to play later today in the Ontario Cup Final later today with his team Real Toronto against London AEK. He was subbed off at 22 minutes after getting beaten twice by Selvin Lammie. He was holding onto Lammie on the first goal and gave him about an impossible angle to shoot at. Anything more and he’d have pulled him down for a Penalty kick. One minute after that opening goal, Lammie got away a shot from the left from 15 yards that the goalie palmed through his box wide right for a cornerkick. Titus didn’t look like he took the subbing graciously at all from head coach Carmine Isaaco who was behind the bench for the first time after serving a suspension.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Sunday September 14th, 2008 CSL game between Serbian White Eagles and Toronto Croatia played at Lamport Stadium in Toronto at 7:00pm.

10 min…Croatia Robert Fran pulls down SWE Sasa Viciknez with shoulder clutch on run into right side of TC box. Referee Mike Lambert awarded SWE a Penalty kick.

11 min…White Eagles Sasa Viciknez GOAL…Viciknez’s Penalty kick is blasted to right corner of net 6 feet up leaving goalie Roy Blanche.

56 min…Croatia Tihomir Maletic GOAL…Maletic is given through ball on chip over defenders and his run in from 30 yards has him on left shoots ball into middle of net from 15 yards over flying goalie Dan Pelc at 5 yards.

Final Score:……..Serbian White Eagles………1………Toronto Croatia…………1……….

Attendance was about 300 on this rainy night. Toronto Croatia had about 50 fans on the east side stands. White Eagles were the ‘home’ team at this neutral site and had about 250 fans on the west side. The weather killed the walk up crowd. It was raining at the start of the game and just got stronger as the game went on. Near the end of the game, the wind blew in from the south and just created sheets of rain. It was a lot stronger than the MLS Toronto FC game yesterday. Unlike at BMO Field, fans were allowed to bring their umbrellas…although security agents searched bags and clothes for flares. Strong winds had turned some of the umbrellas inside out by the end of the game.

Strategy was probably compromised with the weather conditions but White Eagles were ‘off’ in their passing in the second half and let Croatia back into the game. Both teams were called on plenty of offsides during the game.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Windsor shows up in Trois-Rivières with 8 players and no coach and go on to lose 9-0. Ridiculous.

something must be done about this....Windsor is an embarassment to the league.

London City is a poor team but at least they make an effort to act professionally.

Windsor doesn't even try. why even travel with 8 players?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

something must be done about this....Windsor is an embarassment to the league.

London City is a poor team but at least they make an effort to act professionally.

Windsor doesn't even try. why even travel with 8 players?

whats the story behind this? I saw the result today in the paper and thought it was just like a freak result, because I don't follow the CSL, but apparently it wasn't.

**** goaltendind, **** game, I should've never played! I got there minutes before kick-off because I didn't want to play because my team had Ontario Cup finals! Bull**** all around!! Me and three of my teammates were out there playing, and we shouldn't have been there at all, and I was pissed about it. I was glad to be subbed, and I expressed my anger about playing at all, not about being subbed! Get it straight Rocket Robin, and stop f--kin me over with your disrespectful reports!!! Shane Lemmie wouldn't have a prayer in a real pro game against me, because he's not ready, any other day I would've put him on his ass, and that would've been the end of it. I was being nice to him because I was pissed off with the situation...

quote:Originally posted by rick titus

**** goaltendind, **** game, I should've never played! I got there minutes before kick-off because I didn't want to play because my team had Ontario Cup finals! Bull**** all around!! Me and three of my teammates were out there playing, and we shouldn't have been there at all, and I was pissed about it. I was glad to be subbed, and I expressed my anger about playing at all, not about being subbed! Get it straight Rocket Robin, and stop f--kin me over with your disrespectful reports!!! Shane Lemmie wouldn't have a prayer in a real pro game against me, because he's not ready, any other day I would've put him on his ass, and that would've been the end of it. I was being nice to him because I was pissed off with the situation...

Rick, tell us what you really think...LOL

so....the question of the day is, are you still planning to suit up for Shooters this year or is this the end of that relationship?

quote:Originally posted by Back to Basics

Kadian Lecky

Desmond Humphrey

Fitzroy Christey

Are the other 3 players for Real Toronto that are playing with shooters and where played hours before there ontario cup game.

Rick kodos for the Chivas game, sold defender hope the situation clears up at shooters. Best of luck with Real

Hey Back to Basics, I think you guys are going to need to go Back to Basics without Ricky!! :D he seams really pissed.

quote:Originally posted by rick titus

I agree with Rick that some of those reports on top of being childish are disrespectful and some times it seams like he spends too much time counting people in the stands instead of watching the game and report what it is. It's like he's watching the game with his back to the field.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

I agree with Rick that some of those reports on top of being childish are disrespectful and some times it seams like he spends too much time counting people in the stands instead of watching the game and report what it is. It's like he's watching the game with his back to the field.

I hope I'm not the only one here who feels this way, but I've got to say that I really appreciate Rocket Robin's CSL game reports.

He's not pretending to be an objective wire reporter, he's calling the game as he sees it, and gives the reader a real sense of what it's like to be at the game.

Please, RR, keep up the good work.

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

I hope I'm not the only one here who feels this way, but I've got to say that I really appreciate Rocket Robin's CSL game reports.

He's not pretending to be an objective wire reporter, he's calling the game as he sees it, and gives the reader a real sense of what it's like to be at the game.

Please, RR, keep up the good work.

You got a point, after all everything that has to do with soccer in this country is amateur or being run by amateurs.

Hamiltonfan... wtf, he's probably the most decorated player in the CSL currently and in the past. I didn't know until i googled him today, Stints with aberdeen, Defender of the Year in 2002 for the MLS.. Deemed the best defender in the msl for the regular season. Not exactly "semi pro"? But i will agree and say its kind of unprofessional coming to the forum, its like an unwritten role of sports you could say.

Eric. LOL yeah shooters may have to go "back to basics" because i don't see any other centre backs as good as him.

Rocket Robin is much appreciated!

To take the time and report the games regardless of bias we all find out what happened which is certainly better than nothing.

Archived