CMISL is back

Jason

I ran across this and I don't think it has been posted yet:

http://www.arenaleague.com/pro/272709.html

CMISL Commissioner Mel Kowalchuk was equally enthusiastic. "Kevin approached me several months ago and we began talking about interleague play," said Kowalchuk, "and the more we talked the more I felt we had in common and the more it made sense to move forward together."

Each CMISL team will play a 16 game schedule that will include 2 home games and 2 road games against US-based PASL-Pro teams. While the LMFR teams will not participate this season in interleague play both the CMISL and LMFR regular season champions will compete for the PASL-Pro Championship in Stockton in March.

I think we all assumed the CMISL was dead and buried. However, it does appear to have life again as a branch of this new indoor league. I'm not terribly optimistic, but we'll see how it works out. Any chance to see soccer is not a bad thing.

Jason

Thanks Jason,

I check the CMISL site every once in a while to see if the league is still kicking but there's never any new news.

It's good to hear they're still around and trying to improve.

Who knows, with the chance of the CSL coming to Western Canada in 2010 maybe United can start playing outdoor and finally get a real soccer club going.

Good news for us fans of the arena game. With the rise of the outdoor game in North America I think that the indoor game will have to make a lot more adjustments to survive.

With MISL folding up after the end of last season I was wondering if anything would be left this year.

It's odd (and unprofessional) that there isn't any word about this on the CMISL website. Further to that, there are no articles in the local papers about it. The season isn't starting right away, but now is a good time to make the papers as NHL camps have yet to begin.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Good news for us fans of the arena game. With the rise of the outdoor game in North America I think that the indoor game will have to make a lot more adjustments to survive.

With MISL folding up after the end of last season I was wondering if anything would be left this year.

Without worldwide standardization and organization, the indoor game in North America will remain a gimmick.

At the very least, it would nice if everyone could get on the same page with respect to rules and so forth ( eg.: boards or no boards; futsal or indoor soccer). Who knows, if that were to happen, you might even one day see the game included in the Olympics one day.

But as it stands now, from my observation, indoor soccer in Canada serves nothing more than something for owners and operators to put in arenas for make up for empty dates.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Without worldwide standardization and organization, the indoor game in North America will remain a gimmick.

At the very least, it would nice if everyone could get on the same page with respect to rules and so forth ( eg.: boards or no boards; futsal or indoor soccer). Who knows, if that were to happen, you might even one day see the game included in the Olympics one day.

But as it stands now, from my observation, indoor soccer in Canada serves nothing more than something for owners and operators to put in arenas for make up for empty dates.

The worldwide and organize indoor soccer game, already exist, is call FUTSAL end is recognize by FIFA and there's a world cup every 3 years and is more than 40 years old. The game played in North America is a circus show.

No body can develop any skills playing in a field surrounded with walls and even the worst players look good playing this game, simply because the ball bounces back from the wall and they get it back (no skills involve in that at all)

quote:Originally posted by Eric

The worldwide and organize indoor soccer game, already exist, is call FUTSAL end is recognize by FIFA and there's a world cup every 3 years and is more than 40 years old. The game played in North America is a circus show.

No body can develop any skills playing in a field surrounded with walls and even the worst players look good playing this game, simply because the ball bounces back from the wall and they get it back (no skills involve in that at all)

The 5 on 5 with walls also is played in the UK.

I disagree on the no skills with walls comment. It develops different skills. To name a few that pop to mind:

Sprint endurance. The ball is in play almost all the time so you are sprinting a lot more.

Direction change. The best way to shake coverage is to change direction quickly. In futsal and the outdoor game you don't get as much practice at that as you do with the ball coming off the boards.

However as much as I like the arena game I think futsal will be the defacto indoor game soon for several reasons. It is FIFA recognized and has regional and world cup competitions. It develops control and passing skills better than the arena game. It has less injuries. It can be played on hardwood or other surfaces (doesn't need carpet). You can find gyms big enough to play a 45m x 25m full size on.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

What they play in the CMISL is NOT Futsal and indoor soccer in North merica is not equal to Futsal. Futsal has no boards but rather touchlines whereas Indoor soccer in canada is played in hockey arenas with hockey boards. Big difference. Also the playing surfaces of the two sports are not the same.

I disagree on the no skills with walls comment.

Coaches are starting to avoid using the boards due to safety issues and that avoiding them increases the level of play on the field.

However as much as I like the arena game I think futsal will be the defacto indoor game soon for several reasons. It is FIFA recognized and has regional and world cup competitions. It develops control and passing skills better than the arena game. It has less injuries. It can be played on hardwood or other surfaces (doesn't need carpet). You can find gyms big enough to play a 45m x 25m full size on.

Easily countering that would be the need for a game version that is more in line with what's expected in the outdoor game. I can see indoor surviving in the long term, but being severely modified in the process.

It looks like the Winnipeg Alliance, according to the PASL-Pro league schedule, begin their season on November 1st and 2nd against Denver at the MTS Centre. I hope that the Alliance start making some noise in the media soon since the Manitoba Moose training camp has not started. Could have potential to do well on those weekend nights the Moose are not playing. We will see considering the Alliance did not play one home game last year and have not won ONE game yet in their CMISL history.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Coaches are starting to avoid using the boards due to safety issues and that avoiding them increases the level of play on the field.

Easily countering that would be the need for a game version that is more in line with what's expected in the outdoor game. I can see indoor surviving in the long term, but being severely modified in the process.

I agree without boards it is a more "soccerish" game. I like the futsal time limit for getting the ball back in play.

There are more injuries when boards are there even if you can't play off them. With only a couple of feet for the out of bounds line players still slip and fall into boards. It is another advantage for futsal, no boards, no carpet coming up (usually played on hardwood or other solid surface) to trip the players.

Most hockey rinks (at least NHL ones) are 26 x 61 meters. With futsal being 42 x 25 meters that doesn't leave a lot of room to stop on the sides.

I think playing futsal for the younger kids is much safer and better at developing their ball skill than using walls. From U6 to U10 make them pass and control then if they want start using boards. By then they will know the basics or they

As much as I like the arena game I think the advent of the outdoor game in North America will make it very difficult to keep it going. It is an interesting variant but with FIFA going the futsal route it makes it even less likely that the arena game will gain traction.

quote:Originally posted by Jason

I have a couple of scraps of additional info. Calgary United games will not be played at the Corral but at the Soccer Centre. Season tickets will cost $135. More info soon...

Jason

Well this officially means the death of the team in Calgary. The Corral gave the team some legitimacy, but I think this move shows the state of the team. Why would the league turn down an offer from the CSL [V]. I'm sick of this kiddy sh!t.

Archived