DOES Voyageurs Site need a Fresh Face b4 WCQ?

Razcle

Hey Speed...thats awesome to hear. Is there anything we can do to help clean up the home page at least. I just need to know how we can work on it. A discussion with web developers is sort of going on facebook, see the first post for the link...maybe you can fill in the blanks for us sheep.

I'm interested in helping out with the site design, but I don't have the time or energy to do the coding.

I think I should point out though that there are several issues at play here. First of all, we shouldn't just change the site for the sake of changing it. Updating the content (and keeping it up to date) is different than redesigning the look.

We'd need a committee or a work group for sure - it's too big a job for just one person, and, to echo Daniel... "who's in charge".

I've designed plenty of websites, so I'd be happy to volunteer for the graphics, but I don't have time for the coding.

Guest speedmonk42

Sure, that would be great.

I can do the php/mysql stuff. Currently the server is running an ASP based forum.

I will get a second server to use until we feel it is up to snuff and then switch. There are porting tools to move from snitz forum to either vb or smf. So nothing will be lost.

But I stress keeping this running and separate until we are happy with the other.

But this is all premature, I still have to talk to Jarrek some more.

True...but in the mean time we can update the information that already exists from our main page. I get the feeling the we could see a lot of traffic come our way and I want to clean up the front page a bit to represnt the current, rather than what was happening in 2002.

Razcle, your enthusiasm is great to see but many threads have been made in that past calling for updates to the site and the truth of that matter is, Jarrek is the only one who can do anything about that crap. Me and Cheeta tried time and again to get his attention and let someone else go in and update the links, rankings, history, contact info, etc. But as you have clearly noticed, this wasn't successful.

I'm not sure what is happening with the homepage, all that I do is post the articles I'm sent. But my guess is that not much will change until speedmonk42 takes over. So to answer your question, no you can't clean up the front page at this moment.

I understand...but what I am asking for is not very much, and I think if we can't get access we are missing out on a fabulous opportunity as new websurfers will be hitting our sit all through WCQ ..ESPECIALLY WHEN WE WIN OUR GROUP!...I will chillax since it seems like you guys understnad where I am coming from.

I think that this only highlights the need for some sort of governence structure. I know we talked about this ad naseum when discussing incorporation, but really, I think it deserves a revist. With technology the way it is, most people won't need to meet in person ... you can do a lot with a webcam, a mic, and a computer.

You could have a small board that steers things (meets say every quarter), and then specific people for specific jobs (public relations, outreach/promotion, treasurer, secretary, CSA liason, webmaster, graphics design, merchandise). It would also be good to have designated contact people in every province (and teritory - is there anybody here from the territories?). If you had the list of people available, then we wouldn't have to have threads every time somebody wants to help, they would simply contact the person in charge of that.

And finally, I agree that it is pretty crucial to get the front page up to date. We are distributing literature pointing people to that page, and they are going to be terribly dissapointed that the Lynx no longer play in the A-League [:o)]

A little hierarchy disclosure. Quite long but there is a bit of ground to cover.

Keep in mind that I'm posting information as I've come to understand things around here. My betters are free to correct me where I've got it wrong.

The Vs website belongs to Reza. It's his private property which has been made available for the common good of all. End of story. If I can use an analogy Reza is The Crown. The highest administrative authority although Jarrek has had "stewardship" of the website for quite a few years now.

Jarrek would be Prime Minister. He's sees to the day to day operations of the website. Financial, technically, and administratively. As far as I know Jarrek is the only one who has Authority over the entire website including the Home Page. I'm sure Reza does as well but I don't know if Reza has a deep enough technical know-how.

DJT is the Chief Administrator. Deputy Prime Minister if you will. He has many of the same website forum administration abilities as Jarrek. He doesn't however have any Authority over the the other webpages on this site. That is to say their structure, content, blah, blah, blah. He does have Authority over the Home Page News Column, which we still see updated from time to time. DJT also has Authority to approve/disapprove New Sign Ups (something which we've been doing manually since the last spam out-brake) and also has Full Moderator Authority but functions as a "moderator of last course" only.

Cheeta is an Administrator. I have Full Moderator Authority. This makes me Minister of Defense. Meaning I can edit and delete posts as well as lock and unlock memberships as need arises. I also have Authority to approve/disapprove New Sign Ups. I have no website administration abilities (that I know of) and if I did I don't posses the technical know-how to exercise them.

bettermirror has Moderator Authority meaning he can edit and delete posts. bettermirror has no website administration abilities.

Daniel has Moderator Authority over the French Language section (I believe) meaning he can edit and delete posts in that sub-forum only. Daniel has no website administration abilities.

Jamit has access to updating the Home Page News Column. He has no website administration abilities.

Beachesl & Sigma are Moderators who are on sabbatical. They are called upon "in advisory" by the other moderators/admins although they have no Moderator Authority or website administration abilities. Other senor Vs are also called upon in advisory from time to time but these are private correspondences and related usually to very specific matters.

Should mention The Beaver plays a role as volunteer editor for Home Page news articles when they're submitted to him. This is strictly a "friendly" service and is not a pre-requisite for having an article posted on the Home Page (but damned handy for those of us who have flighty minds).

So there you are. I pretty sure I've got some of it wrong but that's basically the gist of things.

While it seems like quite a small group making the decisions, and it is, everyone here should keep in mind that everything which is done out of sight on the website (forum structure, page design, rules & etiquette, blah, blah, blah) is done with the feedback of the V population in mind. Also, all of the persons mentioned above are volunteers and long standing Voyageurs. They have constraints on their time same as everyone else but they've invested a lot of heart and heart-ache in keeping the website going.

Content Management System like Drupal & Joomla! are the only way to go.

You can spread the build out to workers & once completed you can have multiple users to do different tasks. Feature wise both CMS's are about the same but choice should be on what your needs are. Both are at the top of the list in the world of Open Source CMS w/ many on of the box features & community addons.

Although, I work w/ Joomla!, Drupal would be fairly easy to transition to.

Drupal & Joomla - http://cmsreport.com/node/543

Drupal & Joomla Comparison - http://www.alledia.com/blog/general-cms-issues/joomla-and-drupal-%11-which-one-is-right-for-you?/

Most CMS's only need hosting that can run PHP & MySQL servers. Hosting prices are way down & some have have unlimited bandwidth which is a cost consideration. I use this -

http://www.bluehost.com/tell_me_more.html

Guest speedmonk42

I am going to get a Linux server next week to start development.

I am going to use Drupal for a number of reasons. I think it is really about to take off in a number of ways. Dries Buytaert got Drupal to where it is today while programming it in university. He finished his PHD and with venture capital started Aquia which will be a support based company wrapped around the open source Drupal. Drupal 7 will be the first release where he and his developers will have worked on it full time.

I hope to see not only a new V's front end with tiered access for content submissions, but also the ability for every user to have their own soccer blog, which I hope will number in the hundreds. This will need to scale, and by all accounts Drupal is supposed to scale better when you have large number of users in the technical sense, and a management one.

Other things such as:

Photo Gallery

Player Database

Graphics Tools for player lineups and soccer discussion.

Chat Rooms so we can really learn to hate one another and waste more time at work.

I used to program PHP/MySQL. But with even the highest profile custom sites getting hacked, I think the safe way forward is with an open source CMS. So my goal is to become a professional Drupal developer and get certified by Aquia.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Soju

Sounds like we're in good hands. Just make sure you don't get laid ever and you'll be done in no time :D

If that were true, the way my life is going I would have seven PhDs by now.

Archived