DOES Voyageurs Site need a Fresh Face b4 WCQ?

Razcle

Hey guys,

I have been around the forums for about 2 months now yet today was the first time I really analyzed the home page and went through the links. I have to admit, my impression really isn't all that favourable since many links don't work and a lot of it is super outdated.

I am also looking at the gold and grey and blue colours we use everytime we come to the site, and it doesn't draw me to get excited about this site. The commentary on the fourms however does, and I am thankful to you guys for keeping me around.

So if thats how I am feeling and I am gun-hoe about this supporters group, I don't want to imagine what outsiders think. Do we need a change? Do we have enough people that can take a super small role and create a website full of good info that draws other supporters towards us.

As we all know, Canadian Talent is improving, we are attracting new generations of Canadian Fans though the rise of our professional teams, our national team is getting much closer to the level of the "top 2" and we are finally being recongnized through reserved seating for our national games.

Is this not the time to make this a glorious site that showcases what we support coming close to WCQ? Do we need to revise the site with forms for multimedia....update our shop link to the new CAFE PRESS Voyageurs store (by Speedmonk). Update our links to include Canadian Soccer blogs from around the country. Make this the focal place for everything Canadian National Soccer Team related and to a lesser extent canadian club professional soccer?

I think we do...and I want to help out with the content on the main page, because that is about as much as I am capable of doing at the moment. Does anyone else have research, webdesign, fundraising, ect skills that they can donate to make this one hell of a site. Or am I a bit out of line in this?

***** If you know a little computer lingo (HTML) and want to help please go to Facebook http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2695470268&topic=4856 to get in the discussion******

Hey that's a really good point. I'm not sure what kind of manpower we have, but I definitely agree that it should be time for a facelift. The site does work reasonably well, but really the only useful part of it is the forums. It would be great if the homepage contained more up to date, relevant, interesting, interactive information. Photo galleries, a chants section, video clips, team swag, etc... This is probably a huge undertaking, and will require a lot of funds and time, but do you guys agree that it would be worthwhile??

See the various New adminstrator needed threads. Jarrek has a life now ;) and needs some technical types to step up and help out. If you can do it. I am sure the help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Jarrek for the job of keeping this site up and running

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

Short answer: YES!

Also maybe going to a new board format?

One that is easier on the eyes?

Just a thought...

I would vote against this.

I prefer this style out of all the forums that I visit.

I like that it isn't cluttered with user avatars and isn't overpowered by cumbersome signatures.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Maybe just redirect the homepage to the forum until it's sorted out? It's always out of date anyways and people come for the forum.

Completely agree with you however we probqably get a tonne of new people that jump on this website and leave thinking it is crap. I am completely fine with the simplicity of the form, but the home page needs some reconstruction.

Who currently has the power for this? Jerrek? Can he create a thread to start empowering some people to make changes to the home page. We have so much potential here...just need a little better organization.

Should all people interested in helping out get together for a face to face and discuss? I don't think the site needs a total revamp right now. It just needs pages updated with fresh up to date content on a weekly basis.

For example, the fifa ranking hasn't been updated in ages. Simple things like that can be done fast. When I see websites that have not been updated or incorrect info, I don't take them seriously and don't revisit. Sorry, but that’s my take on things. I'm sure there is a few guys here that can contribute a few hours a week to update the site. Gather up who’s interested and the way she goes!!!

quote:Originally posted by SportingFC

Should all people interested in helping out get together for a face to face and discuss? I don't think the site needs a total revamp right now. It just needs pages updated with fresh up to date content on a weekly basis.

For example, the fifa ranking hasn't been updated in ages. Simple things like that can be done fast. When I see websites that have not been updated or incorrect info, I don't take them seriously and don't revisit. Sorry, but that’s my take on things. I'm sure there is a few guys here that can contribute a few hours a week to update the site. Gather up who’s interested and the way she goes!!!

Getting together for a 'face-to face' is tough when our members are spread across Canada.

I suggest everyone who is interested speak together on Facebook. Form your own work group. That's about as close to face to face as you are likely to get. This has worked well for the Voyageurs in the past and present.

I completely agree with your second statement. The front page is complete crap, with not even our FIFA rankings kept up to date. It reflects very poorly on the Voyageurs, especially when media and potential members could be checking our site to educate themselves.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I would vote against this.

I prefer this style out of all the forums that I visit.

I like that it isn't cluttered with user avatars and isn't overpowered by cumbersome signatures.

I totally agree, though there are some very good features here:

http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/forums/index.php

Minor tweaks, less the annoyances mentioned, that could make the board better.

^ I agree, cause I cant do anything until I find out who is running the ship.

OK...I made a seperate post/group on Facebook to seperate the people that want to help from the people that dont know how to help as suggested. Please visit

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2695470268&topic=4856

and make a post on what you can do or want to help doing given system access. With facebook we can send personal messages to each other without having to wait until someone comes onto the V's site to respond. Also cuts out clutter from other memebers that are just voicing opinions....

I think it is far more important to find a long term site administrator than to fiddle with the esthetics of the site. I rarely visit the home page, ir is the forum I have bookmarked. But if there are people willing to do both, that's fine.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I think it is far more important to find a long term site administrator than to fiddle with the esthetics of the site. I rarely visit the home page, ir is the forum I have bookmarked. But if there are people willing to do both, that's fine.

First-timers go to the homepage. We are expecting to attract new people during WCQ and the homepage will be the first impression they get.

Guest speedmonk42

I was going to take over the server as Jarrek is about to have a baby.

My longer term plan was to use Drupal which would give us a very good tiered access system so we could have lots of people contributing.

Canadian player database and flash based roster tool for the forum for adding lineups.

That will take some time though.

I was hoping to get this done by January 2009. Yeah, that seems like a long time... but...it's not. It will come up pretty quick.

Archived