Regrets for MLS expansion up north?...

Bratworst

In regards to the earlier post about MLS expansion in Canada being put on hold for the time being:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/07/21/mls-expansion-canada.html

Perhaps one issue with this expansion halt has been overlooked... or simply not mentioned by Ivan Gazidis. Consider this; almost all (in fact probably is all) significant football leagues in the world run within the boundaries of one nation. The U.S. is no stranger to national pride and the boasting rights of being among the best at most sports they bother participating in. Now they are facing the realization that they have just allowed a team from another country into THEIR league. Not only have they given away sole bragging rights to the league they started, but the one team they did allow in from another country happens to be the best in terms of business and fan support in the entire league. Could it not be an issue of kicking themselves in the A#$%%^^%SS for allowing this to happen?

Picture ten or fifteen years in the future and the league has grown in stature and fame around the world. Would people not wonder if it is an American League? and certainly what would happen when a Canadian team wins the league title. It's one thing in baseball, but soccer is a world sport, with world wide expectations for how things should work.

Anyways, right now a Canadian team is the biggest thing it's got (aside from Beckham) going for it.

Maybe this is one of the reasons that the MLS is not so excited about giving another Canadian city the chance to show up every other American city when it comes to soccer support for a Major League Soccer team.

Any thoughts?..

I think you are reading too much into the latest comments. I suspect the credit crunch has made SSS building significantly more difficult south of the border and expansion to American markets will be a lot slower than they had anticipated so the question of whether to go with Montreal and Vancouver first is the question MLS are now grappling with.

With less than two days away to allstar game I think this is just a pre-emptive answer by MLS to some obvious questions they are going to be getting this week.

I don't read to much into this at all.

MLS is going to be getting an allstar game in Toronto that gives them not only a crowd but also an atmosphere.

That'll look good on TV in America.

The MLS dudes are smart enough to know that admitting Canadian clubs into the fold will do nothing to hurt America, American football or the Americans in the MLS. It might actually help fomment the sort of national rivalries that fuel international football. (Think Champions League et al.)

MLS simply needs to continue to make good business decisions for MLS and all its clubs. Expansion to Canada will happen in due course.

MLS is EXTREMELY fussy about strategic growth. They are NOT going to dive in feet first without a concrete plan about how they want to grow their product. The biggest issues are: Will the expansion team have solid ownership, facility and REGIONAL rivalry opportunity.

These are the established criteria, and in both cases, Vancouver and Montreal are actually in better shape than some current MLS teams.

There will be no discrimination against either franchise...they're both getting in for 2011.

quote:Originally posted by royalcity

With less than two days away to allstar game I think this is just a pre-emptive answer by MLS to some obvious questions they are going to be getting this week.

I don't read to much into this at all.

MLS is going to be getting an allstar game in Toronto that gives them not only a crowd but also an atmosphere.

That'll look good on TV in America.

So you really think TFC fans are going to be hopping up-and-down cheering for LandyCakes and Beckham? I'll respect them more if the atmosphere for the all-star game was much worse than a regular TFC match!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

So you really think TFC fans are going to be hopping up-and-down cheering for LandyCakes and Beckham? I'll respect them more if the atmosphere for the all-star game was much worse than a regular TFC match!

LandyCakes. Good.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

many (possibly most) hardcore TFC fans actually feel quite ambivalent about the All Star Game. I'm not even going (sold my tickets and will maybe watch at home). If I did go, I'd be sitting in my seat (rather than stand) and observe the match as a neutral because I really could care less who won. It's a friendly as far as I'm concerned and its one that I have almost no rooting interest for (in fact, some of the players I detest most will be playing for the MLS side).

I don't think tomorrow's game will feature the type of rabid crowds people have come to enjoy at BMO. I'd love to see Landycakes get streamered....C'mon Red Patch...C'mon U-Sector....PLEASE Streamer that jerk

quote:

A lot of us will be cheering for Brennan, DeRo, Onstad and the Hammers. Everyone else is the opposition and will be treated accordingly.

Archived