Tampa Bay Rowdies are back

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

Good to see the USL lining up replacement teams to prepare for the MLS exodus that is just about to happen.

With Austin and now Tampa Bay they will be needing a few more as Seattle, Vancouver, Montreal, Portland and maybe Atlanta, Miami are all going or trying to get something MLS happening.

We do need a second division in North America and USL-1 is it. I like their 5 sub rule and their PDL is a huge boost for player development.

The Whitecaps have stated publicly that if/when they do get an MLS franchise they will continue to play a team in USL-1, all part of their overall development plan from SYL > PCSL/PDL > USL-1 > MLS.... So, a Whitecaps move into MLS will likely not deplete the USL.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The Whitecaps have stated publicly that if/when they do get an MLS franchise they will continue to play a team in USL-1, all part of their overall development plan from SYL > PCSL/PDL > USL-1 > MLS.... So, a Whitecaps move into MLS will likely not deplete the USL.

Really? I haven't heard that before. That would be quite an additional expense...especially considering that fans aren't going to be overly excited about seeing a USL 1 team, when there's an MLS team in town with the same name.. I could see the PDL program sticking around, but not USL 1.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

it would make sense if they moved the USL-1 club to the valley, surrey, or even to Victoria.

Victoria would make the most sense to me. Around 300,000 in the greater victoria area. Close to the main team. As good weather year round for soccer as you will find in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Really? I haven't heard that before. That would be quite an additional expense...especially considering that fans aren't going to be overly excited about seeing a USL 1 team, when there's an MLS team in town with the same name.. I could see the PDL program sticking around, but not USL 1.

Great news if they keep USL First.

Archived