That's more like it!

tmcmurph

3-1 at home over Colorado. DD with the opener and Rohan adding 2 for good measure. Another one in the win column brings the prospect of making the playoffs in their second year closer and closer [8D]

Finding a way to win even without 5 starters! Brennan, Edu, Guevara, Sutton and Marshall all still not there but the team filled in quite well.

12 games and 20 points. Next up the KC Wizards.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Except that his positioning on that free kick was crap. Very well struck ball but he took away any chance he had by guessing wrong.

He didn't guess he was trying to get an angle to view the ball.

You could see on the replay that Edward was screened at the last second by a Colorado player. Not his fault, really tough FK to defend for a team and specially the keeper.

I don't know. Moving to his left to look through a wall? I'm thinking he was guessing Gomez was going to try to loop it over, which would've been damned hard to do with any pace from so close.

Either way he had a sound game all told. Colorado has got to improve their finishing (and TFC their defending, UG!) because they had some great opportunities but couldn't test Edwards the way they should have.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

He didn't guess he was trying to get an angle to view the ball.

You could see on the replay that Edward was screened at the last second by a Colorado player. Not his fault, really tough FK to defend for a team and specially the keeper.

Ya, he the ball in sight and then the Rapids player moved over and a TFC player went with him. Edwards was then totally screened.

Gotta go with Cheeta on this - the wall's there for a reason (and it isn't to protect the goalie!). He should have been at least splitting the distance between the post and the end of the wall, not standing behind the last man in it...

That said, he was excellent up to that point...

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Gotta go with Cheeta on this - the wall's there for a reason (and it isn't to protect the goalie!). He should have been at least splitting the distance between the post and the end of the wall, not standing behind the last man in it...

That said, he was excellent up to that point...

I don't think he was LT. When the shooter moved at the ball, their guy joined the end of our wall and blocked him out. Prior to that, IMO, Edwards could clearly see the ball based on the way I interpreted the angles in the behind the net replay.

Would Sutton have played it differently, ya he probably would have split the difference as you suggest but I do think the kid could see the ball up until that nice bit of work of visual obstruction took place.

The fact that an additional TFC player moved with the Rapids player only made it worse and with those two guy having moved into a previously empty spot, Edwards was screwed.

A rookie mistake.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Those Ricketts goals were superb, especially from his weaker foot. Looks like with key players out of the team the right players are stepping up. Play offs?

Playoffs. What a nice sound that would be for a Toronto sports team :D

Seriously I gave them 3 to make it (first year is a throw away, second you improve and third you'd better make the playoffs or come awfully close!).

It is still early in the season but 1/3rd of the way through and look where they are! While still hot and cold (or in this season cold, hot, cold and back to hot) they are getting it together.

I can't wait for the game with the Revs in 2 weeks.

Archived