Proposed Whitecaps & Impact Academy?

kyam

So Toronto FC's Academy Team (U-18) has been fielded into the CSL, commentators have commented on the contribution the TFC Academy will have for Canadian Youth Soccer. The TFC Academy has also fielded a Academy Reserve team for the new CSL Reserve Division.

For the sake of youth development from coast to coast, would it be too much to lobby Montreal Impact and the Whitecaps to launch their own academy teams?

I know the Montreal Impact has launched a Reserve team the Attak into the CSL in 2007, but for the sake of developing our youths, wouldn't it be great if they had an Impact U-18 Academy team fielded into the CSL to play against the Big Boys like TFC?

If CAnada's USL team follow TFC's lead, we might have a viable, national youth development program for the National Team

YWNA, don't you dare suggest that TFC did not invent this youth concept thing! Surely you know the game didn't really exist in Canada until TFC arrived on the scene.

One thing I like about the Caps academy squad is that they have, from the beginning, published the roster so we know who the players are. TFC doesn't even provide the line-up on their post-match summary. I have no doubt that even a half-arsed academy will be successful in the GTA (see history of the Toronto Lynx) but I feel like TFC isn't really taking this thing seriously as of yet. Clearly they have several spots open of the developmental roster, wouldn't it be a good idea for the supporters to have some idea who might be filling those spots next season? I mean, Randy Edwini-Bonsu has already seen first team action against the Galaxy and I think Dever Orgill has been on the bench for the senior team. What's the point of having an academy if the supporters can't get to know the local players and anticipate their inclusion in the first team?

EDIT: I notice a Mississauga lad, Kyle Porter, leads the Caps residency in scoring with 3 goals. While Oakville's Alex Semenets and William Hyde are regular contributors. [:P]

The Whitecaps residency is a much more comprehensive program that what I understand the TFC academy currently is. It is residential, year round, 100% sponsored by the club, the players are recruited from across Canada and further afield and sign professional contracts, the team routinely travels to Europe for tournaments and exhibition games against big name clubs, training before and after school every day, support and assistance from the club with academic schooling and assistance from the club to find professional playing contracts either at home or abroad. Several of the Residency players have already dressed for the Whitecaps senior team. I think the Whitecaps deserve huge credit for what they are doing and would be a good model for Toronto FC to emulate.

It costs the Whitecaps about $750,000 a year to fund the Residency program. They feel that those boys will make up the MLS team that hopefully comes around in 2011.

Another exciting aspect of the program is that the Whitecaps senior team can re-assign players to the PDL squad to get some game time with the youngsters in a competative situation. Mason and Nick Webb will both be available when the 'Caps take on the Tides this evening.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I have no doubt that even a half-arsed academy will be successful in the GTA (see history of the Toronto Lynx) but I feel like TFC isn't really taking this thing seriously as of yet. Clearly they have several spots open of the developmental roster, wouldn't it be a good idea for the supporters to have some idea who might be filling those spots next season? I mean, Randy Edwini-Bonsu has already seen first team action against the Galaxy and I think Dever Orgill has been on the bench for the senior team.

That was Nana Attakora-Gyan.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

YWNA, don't you dare suggest that TFC did not invent this youth concept thing! Surely you know the game didn't really exist in Canada until TFC arrived on the scene.

Ed are you being sarcastic? Nooooooooo [}:)]

Seriously though Toronto didn't invent these things they just copied them from New York City ;)

Duck and cover from imminent incoming Toronto fire [:0]

• 4 weeks later...

Vancouver residency lead the Northwest division in the PDL. I would imagine they are on average 2-3 years younger than the usual PDL roster. Randy Edwini-Bonsu is on fire and fellow Edmontonian Marcus Johnstone scoring regularily as well. Some prospects there; Edwini-Bonsu is quite small (5'5", 137 lbs) according to his profile. If he keeps it up, I expect him to be a starting striker in Germany within a year.

Archived