a thread about Vcr, not Mtl. (sushi chefs, etc.)

Tintin

This is to replace the thread that Montréal supporters were complaining about having been hijacked.

People were talking about the Asian community supporting the Whitecaps in a Montréal thread (yes, I was one of them, but I was just following the conversation). People mentioned they don't market themselves to the Asian community, however there have been ads in local Japanese newspapers for a couple of years.

Anyway, there's an advert on a Vancouver Japanese web site for discounted tickets to the Portland match to see Hirano playing against Suzuki.

http://bbs.jpcanada.com/topic_dtl.php?bbs=11&msgid=14055&sort=0&cat=0&dummy=0

#12304;jpcanada#25522;#31034;#26495;#12305;#12501;#12522;#12540;#25522;#31034;#26495;

The ad says: In March, the first Japanese player ever signed with the Whitecaps. This Saturday, Suzuki Takayuki, the player who scored the first goal against Belgium in the 2002 World Cup and now plays for Portland, will play against Hirano in British Columbia. If you click on the line below where it says in English "Special Ticket Offer" you can see an ad in English.

http://ad.jpcanada.com/pdf/vwc.pdf

vwc.pdf (application/pdf Object)

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

That's interesting, but I don't see what it has to do with Montreal getting into MLS.

Well it would only be fair for Trident and myself to get into a debate on this thread about whether Montreal sushi chefs are really Japanese. Or how about whether Asian attendance at Impact games increased when we had Fukasawa playing for us?

So now this is becoming a Montréal thread? I'll go back to the Montréal thread and continue carry on about the Asian community in Vancouver.

Maybe Winnipeg Fury would have done better if they'd hired Teitur Thordarson to cater to the Icelandic community. Maybe a team in Moncton could have had good support if they'd brought in Jan Molby to cater to the doughnut-eating community.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Well it would only be fair for Trident and myself to get into a debate on this thread about whether Montreal sushi chefs are really Japanese. Or how about whether Asian attendance at Impact games increased when we had Fukasawa playing for us?

Soccer has always been the #2 sport in the Asian giants. In Japan and Korea, baseball is #1, in China\Taiwan Basketball and in India\Pakistan Cricket. The only soccer-centric countries in Asia at tiny countries like Vietnam and Thailand, not exactly the largest markets in Vancouver.

Archived